Menu

anyone have creative ideas for room dividers?

More info needed....

what kind of room

what level of separation (private vs transparent)

any theme in particular

budget

just a big office (schoolroom)

should be visually private - - it will be dividing kids doing schoolwork

no theme in particular

no set budget - - just cheaper than pre-bought, or I'll just go buy 'em!

oh, portable is a plus

thanks!!

We have an Ikea Expedit unit dividing part of our living room. It can be anchored to the wall at one end (although we haven't bothered) I like it because the little squares can be used for a variety of things (maths square, science square etc) and it's deep enough that you can have something facing each way.

We have an Ikea Expedit unit dividing part of our living room. It can be anchored to the wall at one end (although we haven't bothered) I like it because the little squares can be used for a variety of things (maths square, science square etc) and it's deep enough that you can have something facing each way.

It separates the spare room from the office area. The boys keep their books in it - each boy has one side, as the shelves are deep enough to take two books.

Laura

Here's a few ideas if the divider is needed to keep the kids on track and not constantly checking to see what the other one is doing...

-can their desks/tables be set in such a way that they face opposite directions?

-I don't know what they are called but one of those accordion folded, cardboard thingies that are used for cutting out fabric can stand up and be a divider...it wouldn't be a solid "wall" but more of a reminder to stay focused

-sometimes stores like Pier 1 or IKEA have screens that aren't too expensive

-maybe a school or church is getting rid of one of those rolling chalkboard/corkboard things (it can't hurt to ask)

-there might be plans online for a portable curtained divider made of pvc pipe

My husband strung a steel cable from one side of the room to the other and then we bought a few curtain panels with tab tops from Target and hung those on them. It isn't really "portable", but you can push the curtains to the side. We don't have them go quite all the way to the opposite wall so there is a wide walkway at one end. Our curtains are pretty long, so the cable is near the ceiling, but of course you could get the shorter curtains so it is more open above. Like maybe get 60"??? And we have them come down to about 3 inches from the ground so they don't drag.

I suppose if you were the real artsy type, you could even get white and decorate or have kids each decorate a panel. If you're brave, that is!

You know you have got me thinking!! For our children's worship at church, we use the rolling clothes hanging racks from Walmart. I think they are less than $20 each. We then bought one set (has two panels) of black curtains that are thick and hung one on each. We use it to hide those behind stage, but I am thinking about doing this in our learning room.

Our problem is I like the computer in the room with us but if someone is working on it, noone else can work independently. Plus, they are on castors so you can roll them wherever you like.

Thanks for the idea! I was thinking about the cables on the ceiling but I think I want more portable! Though I am not the OP, I like this idea.

You know you have got me thinking!! For our children's worship at church, we use the rolling clothes hanging racks from Walmart. I think they are less than $20 each. We then bought one set (has two panels) of black curtains that are thick and hung one on each. We use it to hide those behind stage, but I am thinking about doing this in our learning room.

oooh, this might be a good, easy one! love the portability of it.

Have you had the one on the computer wear headphones? And place the computer so the others can't see the screen, perhaps?

Yes, but something about that screen makes everyone's eyes wander that way. They just wonder over that way if the computer is on. We have four desks, a computer desk and my desk in the room so I can't turn everyone away.

And just to clarify, the steel cable is not attached to the ceiling, but to opposite walls, maybe 16" down from the ceiling. But this is for a bedroom and for a room like yours I'd use shorter curtains, attaching the steel cable much lower.

Of course then you have the monkey problem: making sure no one gets the idea to swing from the cable if they can reach it!

And just to clarify, the steel cable is not attached to the ceiling, but to opposite walls, maybe 16" down from the ceiling. But this is for a bedroom and for a room like yours I'd use shorter curtains, attaching the steel cable much lower.

Of course then you have the monkey problem: making sure no one gets the idea to swing from the cable if they can reach it!

Oh sorry. I just had a visual I guess. Thanks for clarification.