Menu

Warning Safety: Baby Slings !

I think it comes down to: know how to use your sling properly. Don't drop your baby, don't leave them swinging in a bag low against your body. Use holds that keep babies secure and are appropriate to their age / development.

I think the article is alarmist, but ultimately comes down to "use common sense" when caring for a baby...

This is in reference to THIS PARTICULAR STYLE of sling that has fundamental safety issues. It is not babywearing in general, or even inclusive to the many other types of baby carriers - it is

this "bag" style carrier (SlingRider and the like) that deserves a

warning. Even when used correctly, this style is unsafe and compromises

baby's airway (and it's also not comfortable!!).

I never said it was baby wearing in general. I am a baby wearer, and it isn't only this one sling. There should be more info out tomorrow, according to the report. I just want folks to be aware..... so they don't buy and use these types of slings.

IF ONE INFANT dies, it is to MANY !

I never said it was baby wearing in general. I am a baby wearer, and it isn't only this one sling. There should be more info out tomorrow, according to the report. I just want folks to be aware..... so they don't buy and use these types of slings.

The article makes it sound like it's all baby wearing, IMO.

The government is preparing a safety warning about baby slings — those popular and fashionable infant carriers that parents strap around their chests to give the little ones a cuddle on the move.

The concern: Infants can suffocate, and at least a few have.

The head of the Consumer Product Safety Commission, Inez Tenenbaum, said Tuesday that her agency is getting ready to issue a general warning to the public, likely to go out this week, about the slings.

"We know of too many deaths in these slings and we now know the hazard scenarios for very small babies," said Tenenbaum. "So, the time has come to alert parents and caregivers."

The article talks about carriers that parents "strap around their chests" which is not how the sling pictured is worn. Thanks for posting the link!

What they don't mention is that babies also die in the car seat carriers (the alternative to the sling) because of a similar body position. This is also a risk. Kind of like telling people not to have babies in bed with them when a few people have done so improperly.

The article doesn't give any info about the 7 deaths, what slings were used, what the situation was, were the babies preemies? Many preemies or very youngnewborns probably shouldn't be in the sling, car carrier or stroller.

Edited by Penelope

My infants all were worn in a ring sling in an upright position, even my preemie babies straight out of NICU ! The only time they layed down was to nurse, and even then they were laying straight, and not in a "C" position. Laying with their feet under my arm, and body totally supported by an adjustable sling.

I was given a pouch sling like the one pictured in the article. I immediately got rid of it. I will be watching CPSC for the alert they are going to put out. I am curious for sure.

I am a baby wearing supporter !!!

It reminds me of the anti-cosleeping propaganda published a few years back. The "study" was funded by the same organization as cited in this current article.

Of course the Juvenile Products Manufacturers Association doesn't want co-sleeping. You sell less cribs that way.

Tenenbaum spoke at a meeting of the Juvenile Products Manufacturers Association, an industry trade group that certifies certain children's products, including soft infant carriers.

Slings are a huge cottage industry. Parents use (and therefore buy) less strollers, carriers, etc, when they are sling users. If people are buying slings from WAHM moms or making their own, they are not buying from the Juvenile Products Manufacturers.

The article is poorly done and the "presentation" suspect in terns of accurate content and also the actual level of risk and statistics.

I'm a babywearing mama. My youngest just turned three but I still wear her on my back sometimes.

It all comes down to this: Anything can harm a child....it is the parents responsibility to use it correctly and to monitor the child while doing it.

Whenever my baby turned their nose towards my chest and I felt they were not getting enough air circulation, I simply turned their heads towards fresh air. If their body looked uncomfortable and it looked like it could hinder breathing ability, I repositioned them. It is the parents job to monitor their children with ANYTHING. Absolutetly anything could pose a possible danger to children. Should they put a warning on sofas because parents place their infants on them and then they roll off an injure themselves?

I'm a babywearing mama. My youngest just turned three but I still wear her on my back sometimes.

It all comes down to this: Anything can harm a child....it is the parents responsibility to use it correctly and to monitor the child while doing it.

Whenever my baby turned their nose towards my chest and I felt they were not getting enough air circulation, I simply turned their heads towards fresh air. If their body looked uncomfortable and it looked like it could hinder breathing ability, I repositioned them. It is the parents job to monitor their children with ANYTHING. Absolutetly anything could pose a possible danger to children. Should they put a warning on sofas because parents place their infants on them and then they roll off an injure themselves?

Wow I am amazed at the negativity of this thread !

Yes, I think couches should have warnings, and anything else that simple minded parents may not understand that could harm children. Common sense isn't as common as many think ! The death of even one child is to many.

I still feel that children should not be in these carriers that do not support them well. It leaves them to fall into a "c" shape, which does cut off oxygen, and in just a moment can smother a baby.

Off to :chillpill:.

Yes, I think couches should have warnings, and anything else that simple minded parents may not understand that could harm children. Common sense isn't as common as many think ! The death of even one child is to many.

I still feel that children should not be in these carriers that do not support them well. It leaves them to fall into a "c" shape, which does cut off oxygen, and in just a moment can smother a baby.

Slinging babies is an ancient, practical parenting tool.

I'll need much more, and less agendized, research to convince me that slinging babies = risk.

I can tell you for a fact that this warning was initiated because of 1 type of sling that someone mentioned earlier - the bag type sling. Not a properly made/sized pouch, btw. Something like the Sling Rider. It's a bag sling that forces the baby to slump and curl so much that they have positional asphyxiation. There is a press release coming out in the next couple of days sponsored by several carrier manufacturers that will speak about safe carriers and unsafe carriers. Several manufacturers of safe carriers have been in the process for quite a while with the CPSC to make guidelines for safe carriers. Unfortunately, the unsafe carrier(s) is forcing all of them to get lumped together and is causing a big problem.

It has been known for a while that padded rail bag slings are dangerous. They are especially dangerous if people do not follow the instructions that is (or should) ALWAYS be posted with the instructions for wearing a newborn--the instruction to put a receiving blanket or little pillow under the baby if it is little, specifically to avoid having the chin-to-chest "C" position. This has been known since I started babywearing years ago. Not doing that with ANY sling (including the other, safer styles) is user error, not product error.

Like the very first hit for Googling "wearing newborn sling" includes "Support your baby's head with a rolled-up cloth diaper or receiving blanket, if she seems to be riding too low in the sling."

Edited by LittleIzumi

It's not about not wanting to protect babies, nor is it about you or your desire to share information about one way to possibly do so (thanks for posting what you feel is important information) -- the negativity is about a poorly written article (it does make it seem like it's all baby wearing, not just this particular style of sling) put out by a questionable source and that comes to dubious conclusions.

It's not about not wanting to protect babies, nor is it about you or your desire to share information about one way to possibly do so (thanks for posting what you feel is important information) -- the negativity is about a poorly written article (it does make it seem like it's all baby wearing, not just this particular style of sling) put out by a questionable source and that comes to dubious conclusions.

Yes. It's like the reports that say disposable diapers are as eco-friendly as cloth diapers, and if you read further it's really only if you use a harsh diaper service or wash with bleach every single time on water so hot that my washer can't even go that high, etc. Extremes that most people don't reach.

Dang it, part of my post disappeared, LOL. Fixed it.

Edited by LittleIzumi

It reminds me of the anti-cosleeping propaganda published a few years back. The "study" was funded by the same organization as cited in this current article.

Of course the Juvenile Products Manufacturers Association doesn't want co-sleeping. You sell less cribs that way.

Slings are a huge cottage industry. Parents use (and therefore buy) less strollers, carriers, etc, when they are sling users. If people are buying slings from WAHM moms or making their own, they are not buying from the Juvenile Products Manufacturers.

The article is poorly done and the "presentation" suspect in terns of accurate content and also the actual level of risk and statistics.

:iagree:

In my 8+ years in LLL, I saw tons of baby wearing mamas, was one myself. The only babies with issues I saw, were the ones left in car seats for hours on end (flat heads/stiff posture/etc).

Let us be fair, far more kids are injured in those bucket seats, then are hurt in a sling. Just like the co-sleeping issue, it's all about being educated and paying attention to your baby.

In my 8+ years in LLL, I saw tons of baby wearing mamas, was one myself. The only babies with issues I saw, were the ones left in car seats for hours on end (flat heads/stiff posture/etc).

Let us be fair, far more kids are injured in those bucket seats, then are hurt in a sling. Just like the co-sleeping issue, it's all about being educated and paying attention to your baby.

:iagree:I also agree with Joanne about the questionable agenda of the organization involved in this warning. It's only one type of sling, not every sling. When my kids were tiny I had a newborn sling with a semi-stiff bottom and an open top, it didn't allow them to curl up in a c position, it didn't close over them. It was easy to keep an eye on them. As evidence that this article is written so as to cast aspersion on all slings, yesterday, HuffPo had a photo of the wrong type of sling accompanying this article. The one they had a photo of was something like Moby, where baby is carried upright. That type of sling is not under question at all.

eta: Consumer Reports issued a safety notice on *this type* of sling back in October. One version of it was recalled but the issues remained.

Edited by Mrs Mungo

I've been wondering how it's possible to walk around with a baby in a sling and not notice the child has stopped breathing?

How is that possible? They're right there in front of you! I could always hear mine.

This is so odd there has to be more to those deaths that just positional asphyxiation. I did have an infant carseat that caused me great worry.

I knew enough to recline it all the way, and use a towel if necessary to make sure the baby's head did not tip forward, but I really do wonder how many tiny babies at least nearly suffocate in those things.

That is the weirdest looking carrier I've ever seen by the way. It looks downright uncomfortable.

Ummm.....wow. Definitely didn't expect to come back and read about how negative I am. You seem to be taking offense at the article posted. You seem to think we are judging YOU somehow. All negative remarks are pointed towards the article. You were just informing us and that's great. But you didn't write the article and we're not judging you for posting it. We're just stating our opinion about the information provided in the article.

I've been wondering how it's possible to walk around with a baby in a sling and not notice the child has stopped breathing?

How is that possible? They're right there in front of you! I could always hear mine.

This is so odd there has to be more to those deaths that just positional asphyxiation. I did have an infant carseat that caused me great worry.

I knew enough to recline it all the way, and use a towel if necessary to make sure the baby's head did not tip forward, but I really do wonder how many tiny babies at least nearly suffocate in those things.

That is the weirdest looking carrier I've ever seen by the way. It looks downright uncomfortable.

There are some slings made with deep pouches where baby can lay way down, out of sight. There are some that just aren't adjusted correctly.

I have seen and talked to mothers who have worn slings incorrectly. I always take the time to try to educate.

As for carseats, in my area you can not take your child home unless a nurse from the hospital approves your carseat and the position of the child in it.

I live in an area where slings have been popular for many years. My mother made my first one 22 years ago.

I personally don't think it is a big conspiracy. I think that there are unsafe slings, and people using them in unsafe ways.

Ummm.....wow. Definitely didn't expect to come back and read about how negative I am. You seem to be taking offense at the article posted. You seem to think we are judging YOU somehow. All negative remarks are pointed towards the article. You were just informing us and that's great. But you didn't write the article and we're not judging you for posting it. We're just stating our opinion about the information provided in the article.

It wasn't directed towards you.... but take it as you will. Have a nice day.

I know that babywearing experts have been against the bag slings for quite a few years now. (I was the founder of a popular sling store, but I only carried what I considered to be safe slings.) And sadly, I witnessed a baby sling death in a pouch at a meeting once. The mom's baby was crying, she tucked him in the pouch, he had muffled cries and then later he stopped. 20 minutes later, she left him white-faced with blue hands in a chair for someone else to discover... too late to do anything.

I know that babywearing experts have been against the bag slings for quite a few years now. (I was the founder of a popular sling store, but I only carried what I considered to be safe slings.) And sadly, I witnessed a baby sling death in a pouch at a meeting once. The mom's baby was crying, she tucked him in the pouch, he had muffled cries and then later he stopped. 20 minutes later, she left him white-faced with blue hands in a chair for someone else to discover... too late to do anything.

Angela :grouphug: How awful to have witnessed.

And sadly, I witnessed a baby sling death in a pouch at a meeting once. The mom's baby was crying, she tucked him in the pouch, he had muffled cries and then later he stopped. 20 minutes later, she left him white-faced with blue hands in a chair for someone else to discover... too late to do anything.

How horrible. :(

Totally agree! I wore my third child probably the first 6 months of her life 24/7. I needed my hands free. It is all about education though. I made sure the wrap I bought was comfortable for me to use correctly and that I knew the proper way's to wrap in order for her to be safe.

Just like with anything (including putting a child in a car seat), if done without following directions it can be dangerous. We also co sleep and I get so tired of all the "dangerous" studies in regards to that. If you learn how to do it properly ... it is NOT dangerous.