Menu

How would you feel about a small annual raise?

We're the self-employed family. Our only raise comes if dh is able to raise his prices.

Our situation is similar.

We have raised our fees a few times times in the past seven years, but only to cover the increase in the cost of our materials.

And yes, since so many teachers have been laid off and class sizes increased, hubby is working longer and harder, but we just keep our heads down and pray the ax doesn't land at our door.

Our situation exactly. He is teaching in a unique, federal/state program in a public school. The federal mandate is that his class size must be less than 12 students or the program cannot be certified and continue to receive state or federal funding. This semester he had 38 students placed in his classes by the school administration. So he has to teach 38 students to keep the principal happy, but his funding can be removed at any minute. UGGG.

I did want to thank everybody for their wonderful advice. We talked about it for a long while last night, and I even read him the responses from this thread. I could see him physically relax when the thought that it wasn't *him* but the *economy* was mentioned over and over. I really felt happy peace :), and was so thankful that he stopped beating himself up over it. This morning we are both happy and thankful for his job with a company that tries to be wise (they do not have any debt). Now I am going to try and stay focused on positive things I can do (bigger garden, less trivial curriculum buying) to help us stay balanced. Thank you again~

That-ta girl!

:)

Hubby just got word today that the annual raise he is going to receive, er, uh, isn't really a raise at all...1%. It doesn't even cover the cost of their increased health care costs. So, I am battling with how to feel about it. How would you feel/act?

My husband hasn't had a raise in five years, and healthcare has increased over 100% during that time. I'm just glad he has a job.

Tara