Menu

DH agreed to full time hsing ...now I am in a PANIC!!

:willy_nilly::willy_nilly::willy_nilly:

My dd has been in two schools in the 4 years we have been in India. We have been afterschooling during this year to fill the HUGE gaps I see in her education. Last week we had parent-teacher conferences and I am JUST DONE. I am tired of trying to work with the school to create what I think my dd needs. I am tired of trying to explain to teachers and educators that all children, even those at the top of the class, need to be challenged and motivated. I am tired of hearing excuses and promises. I am JUST DONE. So in a heart to heart over the weekend DH agreed to go to full time hschooling for the next year.

Now I am wondering if I can do it! (Of course I totally assured him I could!) I know what curriculum I want (except for science) and I know how to address my own weaknesses (math tutor for DD instead of me teaching what I don't understand!) I guess I just want to hear that this panic at the start is normal??? How did you become confident in your abilities to do this successfully?? Any tips?

We've all started with that very thought process. Your confidence will come when time goes by. I've been homeschooling for 9yrs now and I find that confidence comes when your children get it!. When that little light bulb turns on.

Trust me you'll do just fine. Start slowly, take your time, and don't forget to have some fun. Don't be a slave to the curriculum and think you have to do every little thing.

Very similar to our situation too! Now we're in our seventh year of home schooling. :) You're one big step ahead of where I started out - you already know what curriculum you want to use. I pulled my dd out on a Friday knowing I had no clue what to do from there. :lol: We went directly to the library and I left with as many books as they had available on homeschooling and more on order. Then we went to the beach. :D

You're in for an awesome adventure! :001_smile:

We've all started with that very thought process. Your confidence will come when time goes by. I've been homeschooling for 9yrs now and I find that confidence comes when your children get it!. When that little light bulb turns on.

Trust me you'll do just fine. Start slowly, take your time, and don't forget to have some fun. Don't be a slave to the curriculum and think you have to do every little thing.

:iagree:only we have been homeschooling 5 years. :001_smile: The first time the light bulb goes on in your child you confidence level will go through the roof! I was scared until I taught my dd how to read mid way through kindy, and now with my middle son I know its not me lol.

Yes, that's exactly how I felt. Like you I'd been researching and knew what I'd be using but the decision itself is still a big deal. It's terrifying!!

Your confidence will grow as you see your kids growing into the new lifestyle. It's not nearly as hard as I thought it would be.

I was totally panicked that I would ruin my kids' lives. I found the decision to homeschool to be by far the hardest part of it all, though- one I was on the othe side of that, its just one day at a time and lots of reseach.

Remember to have fun! Its a great adventure.

Thanks guys! I feel the support!

Oh yeah, totally normal. :) Welcome to the club! Tell us your curriculum picks!

(And if you haven't yet subscribed to Secular Homeschooling magazine, do so now! Or at least read the articles on the site.)

Thanks so much for the link - I will go over right now and check it out!

My picks for dd (9) are:

Latin: Lively Latin

Music: Violin Lessons

Hindi: Continue with Hindi Tutor

Math: Singapore with Life of Fred

Grammar: FLL and MCT

Writing: WWE and MCT

History: SOTW 2 & start of US History

Science - THIS HAS ME STUMPED. Still trying to find a complete, secular, interesting curriculm that doesn't depend on too many outside purchases.

I was totally panicked that I would ruin my kids' lives. I found the decision to homeschool to be by far the hardest part of it all, though- one I was on the othe side of that, its just one day at a time and lots of reseach.

Remember to have fun! Its a great adventure.

Yes, this is EXACTLY my worry - that instead of improving DDs education I will ruin her forever! My only consulation is that even on my WORST days I know I would still be doing better than the private school she has been in.

Thanks!

Starting out I was very worried that I would mess ds up forever. But knowing that there was no acceptable school available kept me moving forward through the panic. You've given school your best shot and it isn't working, it's time to do something else. It will be fine and you'll feel more confident after you get into the rhythm.

As for science, Sonlight might work for you. It mainly uses Usborne and TOPS which are both secular. There's always a creationist book, but they're easy to spot and easy to substitute. The religious commentary is in the Instructor's Guide, so it's easy to ignore. They sell DVD's of all the experiments and complete kits so you can be sure to have everything on hand. I've only used the K-2 sets, but I'd highly recommend the Usborne science bind-ups combined with the DVDs. Actually, I just looked at Science 3 and they added RS4K Biology 1, so I'd stick with Level 2 which is recommended up through age 9. I'm planning to move into Singapore MPAH science when dd is in 3rd grade, but I don't know how easy it is to find the experimental equipment. Happy hunting!

Panic when I knew they were coming home? Yes! Panic when I realized that I had to teach them everything? (meaning of holidays for example) Yes!

Wonderful light bulb moments? YES YES YES!

You kind of just have to do it. Get in there and work at it and it will come. The more you do it, the easier it gets. People were telling me that each year gets easier and it does!

Like the others have said, it takes time. I never thought I would be homeschooling two kids, both much smarter than me! So much kids actually learn on their own, if given the right environment. Lots of love, support, and great resources (bks, bks, and more bks). You will see.

:grouphug:

I would encourage you to take full advantage of your location. You have access to history and science opportunities that most of us only dream of. My daughter may never get to see the incredible things that are probably right in your town. So first off, I would contact the local history group or museum and ask what important sites they recommended you study/visit.

Regarding science, your dc are still young. I would focus mostly on nature and wildlife observation. Look at the species unique to your area, region, country, continent, etc. From there, move on to developing an understanding of the habitats they need to survive. You could spend a year just on looking at how habitat dictates natural adaptations and what effects loss of habitat creates. You could study human interaction with wildlife, including positive and negative interactions. And don't forget botany! India has a fascinating and ancient knowledge of the healing effects of plants!

I would suggest looking for any wildlife rehab facilities that might be located near you, any zoos, or even farms. A veterinarian in your area might be able to make some suggestions. Don't forget the possibility of bird watching. IMO, one of the most important lessons that young children can learn in the area of biology and animal sciences is that animals are NOT people. They are magnificent, unique, and special all on their own, without any need to be made into furry humans to make them worthy. Children can easily grasp this concept if given the time to truly observe animals interacting with each other or in their natural habitat. If you need a text, perhaps you could find a good reference book there that would give you a nice outline and overview. Due to not finding anything I really liked for early elementary science, that is what I have done for the first 7 grades for a variety of scientific disciplines.

Also, don't forget all the scientific research that is taking place in India currently. Studies on food production, human health, etc. You might be able to visit various research stations and labs to learn more about this.

I have had several experts tell me that early elementary science doesn't matter all that much. In a way, I think this is true, because young children have so much innate scientific curiosity that they are going to learn about their environment, the creatures around them, etc. in spite of parents. I had one dear elderly lady friend from church who would say, when confronted with my dd who was filthy from playing outside, "My, you have science clinging all over you today!"

I'm sure you will do great with this. It is always unnerving at first but as you begin to see good results, you gain confidence and it gets much easier.

Edited by hillfarm

You might look at Calvert science. I know nothing about it, except that it's secular and a package, so this isn't an endorsement or anything.

Funny, I was just posting elsewhere explaining that while there are a zillion amazing science resources for secular homeschoolers, you have to work to pull them together. There's a lack of packaged curricula that you can just get and go. (In response to that AP article on homeschoolers and science, which I have to say I think was very badly done and inaccurate.)

I'm going to post something that won't be too popular. I've homeschooled for 16 years, and I've decided Science can wait til at least middle school. If you're trying to convince your dh though, maybe you'd worry too much leaving it out.

Oldest son has been accepted into pre-vet, so it didn't hurt him any.

I would encourage you to take full advantage of your location. You have access to history and science opportunities that most of us only dream of. My daughter may never get to see the incredible things that are probably right in your town. So first off, I would contact the local history group or museum and ask what important sites they recommended you study/visit.

Regarding science, your dc are still young. I would focus mostly on nature and wildlife observation. Look at the species unique to your area, region, country, continent, etc. From there, move on to developing an understanding of the habitats they need to survive. You could spend a year just on looking at how habitat dictates natural adaptations and what effects loss of habitat creates. You could study human interaction with wildlife, including positive and negative interactions. And don't forget botany! India has a fascinating and ancient knowledge of the healing effects of plants!

I would suggest looking for any wildlife rehab facilities that might be located near you, any zoos, or even farms. A veterinarian in your area might be able to make some suggestions. Don't forget the possibility of bird watching. IMO, one of the most important lessons that young children can learn in the area of biology and animal sciences is that animals are NOT people. They are magnificent, unique, and special all on their own, without any need to be made into furry humans to make them worthy. Children can easily grasp this concept if given the time to truly observe animals interacting with each other or in their natural habitat. If you need a text, perhaps you could find a good reference book there that would give you a nice outline and overview. Due to not finding anything I really liked for early elementary science, that is what I have done for the first 7 grades for a variety of scientific disciplines.

Also, don't forget all the scientific research that is taking place in India currently. Studies on food production, human health, etc. You might be able to visit various research stations and labs to learn more about this.

I have had several experts tell me that early elementary science doesn't matter all that much. In a way, I think this is true, because young children have so much innate scientific curiosity that they are going to learn about their environment, the creatures around them, etc. in spite of parents. I had one dear elderly lady friend from church who would say, when confronted with my dd who was filthy from playing outside, "My, you have science clinging all over you today!"

I'm sure you will do great with this. It is always unnerving at first but as you begin to see good results, you gain confidence and it gets much easier.

Wow, these are all amazingly good ideas that I never would have considered!!! It is going to take me a while to switch mindsets from "doing school at home" to actually homeschooling. I love all these ideas and will definately pursue them!

As another poster said, finding a science curriculum is more for DH than for me! His one concern is that I would short change those areas that I am not that interested in (science/math) so I need to show him something concrete!