Menu

Language Arts Plan Middle School though High School

mom31257

1-4 Grades (5th grade for some): The Phonics Road to Spelling & Reading

I think I nailed 5-8th grades:

• Grammar- JAG & AG
  • Writing- The Father's Books or Meaningful Composition
  • Literature- Progeny Press Guides/Christian Light Reading (First half of year do PP. Second half CLE)
  • The Latin Road to English Grammar

High School: Using MFW for writing and literature and continue with AG (High School Reinforcement)

Edited by Homeschooling6

I don't have a definite plan, as I like to wait to see where my kids are at as each year is ending and decide what to do for the next year at that point. I'll give you what my ideal for me to teach would be, though, even though none of my dc have followed or will follow this to a tee (for example, my 4th grader hates GWG, so he's now doing MCT).

5th-8th:

Grammar--Growing With Grammar

Spelling/Vocabulary--Megawords

Literature--5th-6th, just reading to go with whatever STOW the child is studying; 7th-8th, Lightning Literature

Writing--finish WWE Level 4 if it's not finished; teach outlining as described in TWTM, using history and science; teach and solidify paragraph writing with inexpensive workbooks (like paragraph writing made easy), moving towards papers with multiple paragraphs.

9th-12th:

Grammar--Analytical Grammar in 9th-10th, then nothing

Vocabulary--don't know exactly, but mainly something for SAT prep in the year before taking SATs

Literature--Lightning Literature

Writing--Write Source 9-12, plus research/writing in the content areas

Now that I've written it out, I can see lots of places where things might change for high school. For example, if the middle and high school levels of The Complete Writer are out, I would probably give those a go. And I might end up doing a Great Books Study "Lite" using TWEM in addition to LL, or just doing Great Books instead of LL. That last one is a decision I'm trying to make for my rising 9th grader right now.

6th - 8th

M.C. Thompson's Magic Lens / 4Practice (grammar) I, II and III

Galore Park's So You Really Want to Learn English series I, II and III

Campbell's Excellence in Literature I and II

online writing, vocabulary and Latin

9th - 12th

no grammar / vocabulary

finish Campbell's Excellence in Literature series III, IV and V

online writing and Latin

CC classes (Comp I and II, Speech, Lit)

Edited by Melissa B

I haven't made decision on everything, so there are some holes.

Writing:

6th, 7th - IEW TWSS

8th - IEW Ancient History Lessons

high school: continue with IEW - unsure of actual sequence

Grammar

middle and high school up through 10th grade: R&S English (we will only go through Book 8 - we are going slowly)

Literature/Reading Curriculum

6th - AO books and Total Language Plus Guides

7th - TOG (in the fall); TOG books & CLE Reading (in the spring)

8th - Sonlight Core 6 books; CLE Reading

high school - not sure yet

Thanks for the replies. I just don't know which direction to go with upper level language arts. I am a math major, and could write well enough in school, but at a loss for teaching it, and especially GRADING it.

She is an avid reader, and has always scored extremely well in LA on standardized tests. She has used BJU grammar the last 3 years. She is using CLE Reading this year, which I really like. She is working in Jump In and attended a writing course this year. A retired English teacher/homeschool grandfather offered it for free! It was really good for her, but it doesn't help me because I didn't get to stay and take the class with her.

I have SL Core 100 for bible, history, and literature, but the LA is just a writing assignment each week. There is no writing instruction at all. I'm not ready for her to leave grammar and writing instruction behind.

I'm going to be researching threads on here and attending a convention in late April. I pray I can find the right direction for her!

This was difficult; I didn’t realize how much I needed to do this. It’s just a projection, but these are the programs that I am drawn to at the moment. Some of them I am using now and we are sure that we will continue with them. But some are simply programs that appeal to me. It’s too much for me to finish organizing it all right now. There are things I need to take into consideration after I try certain programs, like BF and MCT, which will affect my sequence of curricula.

But here ya go-

(vocabulary- VFCR, Megawords and MCT or others)

Grade 6-

Grammar- Shurley 6, LLATL Green 7

Writing- undecided- Wordsmith, IEW Elegant Essay, WTM

Literature- Secular version of SL 5 (with her younger sister), AO,

Grade 7-

Grammar- Abeka 7, Queens LL for Secondary Child

Writing- Wordsmith, WTM, Lively Art of Writing

Literature- LL 7, AO, Beautiful Feet history (possibly- at least some of the books would count for lit)

Grade 8-

Grammar- Shurley 7

Writing- Wordsmith Craftsman, Lost tools of Writing

Literature- LL 8, AO, BF

Grade 9-

Grammar- undecided

Writing- history- science-lit + Classical Rhetoric- Speech

Literature- LL 9, Excellence in Literature- BF US and History part 1& a portion of part 2 (spreading this two year program over three years)

possibly ancients literature as well

Grade 10-

Grammar- undecided

Writing- assignments- history- science-lit- IEW HS Essay Intensive

Literature- World Literature LL, BF US and World part 2&3

Grade 11-

Writing- assignments- The Elements of Style

Literature- World Literature LL , Excellence in Lit, BF US and World part 3&4

Grade 12-

Writing- assignments- Writing Exposition

Literature- SL British or another British Lit program

I might also add in a multi-stream history element, so that way we could keep the four year rotation going, but lightly.

You might want to consider an online writing program. That way you don't have to grade the papers yourself.. or a grading service.

Edited by lovemykids

Grammar: I plan to stick with CLE for awhile and then transition to Rod and Staff at some point, which we will stick with the rest of the way.

Writing: I'm hoping SWB stays ahead of us with WWE levels. We'll stick with that and also do additional writing the WTM way. I plan to stick with the writing plan outlined by SWB in her writing lectures.

Lit: Again, I plan to do lit analysis the way SWB outlines it in her lit analysis lectures, not starting until middle school. We'll do a lot of additional reading from the WTM reading lists and from Sonlight, which we'll continue with until at least 9th grade.

Grammar: I plan to stick with CLE for awhile and then transition to Rod and Staff at some point, which we will stick with the rest of the way.

Writing: I'm hoping SWB stays ahead of us with WWE levels. We'll stick with that and also do additional writing the WTM way. I plan to stick with the writing plan outlined by SWB in her writing lectures.

Lit: Again, I plan to do lit analysis the way SWB outlines it in her lit analysis lectures, not starting until middle school. We'll do a lot of additional reading from the WTM reading lists and from Sonlight, which we'll continue with until at least 9th grade.

I hope to use SWB's new program with my younger children.

Oh yes, for literary analysis next year, I have a rough draft of my own program to use. I also like Susan’s questions and we may use those as well.

I've thought through some of this, but not all of it. I've got a plan for middle school; high school is much fuzzier.

6th:

MCT Town level (Grammar/Writing/Vocab/Poetry)

Jamestown Short Stories (Lit Analysis/Writing)

7th:

MCT Voyage level (Grammar/Writing/Vocab/Poetry)

Maybe mix in some Lively Art of Writing with the Essay Voyage lessons

Lightning Lit 8

8th:

MCT Magic Lens/WWW/Advanced Academic Writing 1/Poetry

Literary Lessons with Lord of the Rings

Now fuzziness ensues.

For high school, I'd like to get through the other two levels of MCT, but they may not be sequential years (there are only 2 more years of MCT to stretch over 4 yrs of high school). I also really like the looks of The Lost Tools of Writing and Writer's Workshop, so they may end up in the mix somewhere.

For lit, there's so much good stuff it's hard to narrow down.

I've got a plan for middle school; high school is much fuzzier.

For lit, there's so much good stuff it's hard to narrow down.

:iagree:

I agree, and I just realized that I didn’t add a Great Books study, which we are planning to spread out over the four years. So many good books so little time.

Here are my plans .... (CW includes literature selections as well)

During high school we will also do AG review books every few weeks. I plan to do CW Shakespeare but I'm not sure where that will go. It will depend on each student's particular load - fitting it in a year that is a bit lighter. And My oldest will do AP British Literature in 12th - it's a passion of hers. Whether my others will do that - I don't know.

6th:

Analytical Grammar session 1

CW Homer B/Poetry B

LCC literature selections

7th:

Analytical Grammar session 2

CW Maxim

Omnibus I

8th:

Analytical Grammar session 3

CW Chreia/Intermediate Poetry

Omnibus II

9th:

CW Herodotus

Omnibus III

10th

CW Plutarch

Omnibus IV

11th

CW Demosthenes/Advanced Poetry

Omnibus V

12th

CW Demosthenes

Omnibus VI

Heather

This is a guess....but it's what I have written down right now. Don't search my past posts or you are likely to find something quite different!! ;)

Elementary 1-4 (maybe 5th) - Phonics Road Level 1 with copywork/narration/memory work

Middle Grades: Lit from AO lists and assigned reading from history cycle

Sixth- Latin Road level 1

CW Homer B & Poetry B

Seventh - Latin Road level 2

CW Diogenes Maxim / Int. Poetry

Eighth - Latin Road level 3

CW Diogenes Chreia/Int. Poetry

High School - My Father's World high school sequence...not sure about additional grammar yet.

Grammar - R & S 5-10

Writing - Susan Wise Bauer's writing (based on lectures and WTM)

Literature - SWB's lit analysis using books following history sequence

Vocab - Vocabulary from the Classical Roots

We will also continue Spell to Write and Read until finished.

How far they get in that sequence will depend on the child - my 3 boys all have learning issues, so they may not get all the way through it. I'll be happy if they can finish all the Logic requirements.

My son is currently in middle school. So this list is what we've used for middle school and plan to use for high school.

As you can see, I'm still working on some high school ideas.

6-8

Writing: IEW

Spelling: Megawords

Vocabulary: English from the Roots Up

Literature: WTM Logic Stage list

Grammar: Fix-it Grammar and Abeka

9-12

Writing: IEW

Literature: WTM Rhetoric Stage List

Grammar: ???

Vocabulary: ???

5th-8th

Grammar: R&S-5, R&S-6, Warriner's 3rd Course

Writing: waiting on the book after WWE, and in the meantime, trying to write across curriculum

Literature: MP's D'Aulaires Greek Myths (plus other lit), various lit w/lit guides, LL7, and ??? for 8th grade

6th-MCT Grammar Town-w/ Suppose the Wolf was an Octopus for Lit

7th-MCT Grammar Voyage/Light Lit

8th-MCT ML1/Light Lit

9th-MCT ML 2/Light Lit

10th-MCT ML 3/Light Lit

11th-Light Lit/ vocab for the high school student/Lost Tools of Writing?

12th-Light Lit/vocab for the college bound/Lost Tools of Writing?

Tentative. Not sure on the writing yet for 11th and 12th.

Edited by dancer67

I think I might want to do KISS grammar- it sounds wonderful! Why did I forget about it over the years? And it’s free. We may use the Shurley jingles next year, but that may be all that we use of Shurley. I’m in love with KISS right now. (*subject to change by the time I post again) :rolleyes:

Edited by lovemykids
grammar, lol - I need KISS