Menu

Alpha Omega- Monarch

sixtimemomma

um, I'm going to go back and look around, thanks for the link. I was just wishing this year that they would release their health subjects and state history online...I would purchase them for my older 2 students, but we have mac so could not run their software..we could do parallel, but it seems to work wonky, don't want to really mess with it...

I'm going to go back and see if they offer just some electives, I'm not interested in a whole school package.

I really think online material is the smart way to go, glad they are getting onboard, we've done other stuff online.

thanks!

My only question is do I have to continue to purchase each year. For instance, with SOS when my now 6th grader reaches 9th grade he can reuse his older brothers SOS software. I wonder if they will allow you to access previously purchased grades for free or a small amount for ongoing years. If they don't this program may be to costly for us. We have six kids.

Here is some info I recieved from the email they sent me.

Monarch is coming on 4/1/10, and it's time to reveal more about this amazing new curriculum from Alpha Omega Publications. A revolutionary learning program for homeschool families, Monarch is an online Christian curriculum for grades 3-12. Now, you can skip the hassle of teaching with textbooks or installing CD-ROMs and enjoy the convenience of 24/7 access to interactive lessons with the most up-to-date content!

Compatible with any web browser on a Windows® or Macintosh® system, Monarch lets learning soar with engaging lessons in the five core subjects of Bible, history and geography, language arts, math, and science, as well as over 35 electives. Whether you're at home, on vacation, or halfway around the world, you can homeschool anywhere by simply logging in online! Plus, cutting-edge, media-rich lessons are infused with movie clips, animations, learning games, audio clips, web-related links, and more to provide a multi-dimensional learning experience that makes homeschooling fun.

Monarch Includes:

Online Lessons

Anytime, Anywhere Access

Windows® and Mac®

Compatibility

Real-time Content Updates

Media-rich Content

Automatic Grading

Built-in Global Calendar

Five Core Subjects

Over 35 Electives

Edited by sixtimemomma
Forgot something

• 2 weeks later...

I was really excited when I saw it, because I was thinking/hoping it was like K12, only Christian, and cheaper!

We only have 2 dc, and they will probably be doing it together, so I don't have to worry about handing it down. I know it's silly, but I just don't like Cd roms! I don't like the space they take up on my laptop, and they seem slow.

I'm a bit hesitant with it. I do not know anyone personally who has made SOS work due to technical problems. We have Mac systems. I also do not like being tied to technology. We like to take our books outside or places like the park that do not have computer access. While I like many of AOP's lifepacs, there are some I do not like. So, without seeing a great many sample pages, I'm again hesitant. I would love to hear some first hand accounts when people start using it though.

• 3 weeks later...

I am also very curious about this. I called and they said the demo will not be up until mid April. They are having a big special right now if you purchase it this month. I think it is very weird that they woudl release the info online without a demo. I was told by the reps that it is virtually the same as SOS but online. I will wait for the demo. A lot of people will not like it b/c they don't have a hard copy of something to use the next year. However, I much prefer online and have not purchased SOS in the past b/c I have no desire to deal with CD Roms. Also it can be updated regularly b/c it is online unlike the CDs which can be come quickly outdated. Also no worries about computer crashing and losing all your stuff b/c it is based online. Also I am getting netbooks for my kids which are much cheaper but do not have the CD drive. So this will be perfect. I will most likely be trying htis next year for two of my kids and I am hoping it will be great. I hated K12 and found it to be too much involvement from the teacher. The curriculum was fine but I did not like having deadlines etc. for certain things. It made me realize how much I like my independence.

Wow Shannon! That is very disappointing. I'm surprised AOP acted the way they did. Its a brandnew program and there is going to be kinks and bugs. Honestly after cyberschooling though I don't think I would ever go back to an online way of learning anyways. I much prefer to hold a book in my hands anyways. LOL.

Glad things worked out for you though.

Just giving my update and info. I purchased this for my two daughters who will be 4th and 9th grade this upcoming year. With 4 kids, single mom, working from home I felt overwhelmed this year and needed something more manageable that could free me up a bit. I feel that SOS/Monarch is not quite as challenging as TWTM alternatives so I will be supplementing a bit. However as a homeschool Mom and teacher, I feel the scope and sequence looks good for what my goals will be. I have never used SOS but hated the idea of CD's etc. I did use K12 this past year and hated it with a passion . It was entirely impossible for my younger daughter to use K12 on her own. I had to be with her 100% of the time and it actually put more work on my shoulders than past years. Not only that their deadlines and requirements for online meetings and other things were more than I could deal with. It was interference and pressure I just did not want (reminding me why I homeschool in the 1st place). Even though they did not have demos, I purchased this sight unseen. We have already used it and I have to say I am very excited. Now the person who posted above all the problems she had is right on. Not only that they have messed up in some places on the lesson as far as having a match up question/answer where there were not enough answers for the questions. These are editing issues. I can definitely see that this is a Beta issue and agree that they should have let that be known. However, I am pretty thrilled with it myself. THis is probably b/c I have been overwhelmed, exhausted and utterly dissatisfied with K12 and other things I've been trying to use. This to me is very simple and clear cut (although it will have bugs in it) However, my girls can do it without my hovering. They came and asked a few questions but nothing like K12 where I had to be right by her side. I was actually able to get work done!!! I love that it has Bible, video clips, links to websites (and b/c it is online they can be updated unliike a CD) I also love that it is online . No CD's for me to keep up with, no work to crash or lose, and no need for a CD Rom. I bought my girls that are using this netbooks from Amazon for 299 a piece. Since it doesn't need a CD Rom the netbooks are perfect. They will be using these to do their work. With two netbooks, netbook sleeves, and 4th and 9th curriculum I paid about 1300 bucks. I used part of my tax refund and the fact that I have pretty much got the basics down for next year make me excited. I will continue to supplement in all areas with extras but the difference is that if nothing else gets done but the Monarch stuff I will feel that at least they are getting the basics. Although I agree that Monarch needs a year or two to fully work out the bugs ( and not putting up a demo before you could purchase was uncool) but because what I"ve been using has been so overwhelming and dissatisfying...this is great for me. Good luck to all!!!

My only question is do I have to continue to purchase each year. For instance, with SOS when my now 6th grader reaches 9th grade he can reuse his older brothers SOS software. I wonder if they will allow you to access previously purchased grades for free or a small amount for ongoing years. If they don't this program may be to costly for us. We have six kids.

My friend that is looking into it and has talked to AOP on the phone told me they told her 18 months. You lease it for 18 months. So no you wouldn't be able to use it with future kids.

http://www.momlovesbooks.com/?p=207

is my experience so far with Monarch...

Blessings,

Shannon (who promised AOP that I would spread the word about their program - which is NOT ready for release, even thought they've already launched it.)

Thank you so much for writing this post. My friend who has a very limited budget has been really looking into Monarch. She would be devastated if she spent all of her budget and invested in a netbook for it to be BETA. I can't wait to send her your link with pictures for her to see it.

Guest skjnoble

Hi All, Well, I frequently lurk, but came out of hiding to comment. I'm probably one of the few where SOS has been wonderful to us. My DS started with 3rd grade supplemental work and is now doing 4th grade supplemental work with 4 subjects. We are following the easyclassical.com timeline and book suggestions and are considering Classical Conversations and Teaching Textbooks, but for now, SOS has been great.

My son is an average student--not exceptionally smart, but does not have a huge amount of difficulty in any areas. He has learned to type quite well and enjoys the interactive games. He sits and does the work and then I go through the lessons with him and ask him questions that aren't on the various tests and quizzes. He is more social than his sister (believe it or not) but we haven't experienced the fidgeting that others have. It may be because he started the program when he was 9 and now he's 10.

We've tried a ton of different curriculms, but this has worked well for us.

With Monarch's advertisement of more/better graphics, etc., I am seriously considering it. We haven't experienced a lot (if any) bugs or computer issues.

Hope this helps someone who might be wondering about SOS. Blessings!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just talked to a mom in my local HS group. She tried Monarch and her daughter was in tears because they couldn't get it to work due to bugs in the system. The mom called & was told that it would be fixed with updates on each Thursday. So, um, just don't get any schooling done until Thursday! Wheeeeee.. Then, when she called to cancel, the phone went straight to "hold" and no one picked it up.

She's done K12 before and is now switching to Sonlight. I was shocked that a (IMO) good company like AO would do something like this with a homeschool community that has long memories and a history of word-of-mouth.