Menu

lots of kids at/around the same age? beginning skills

MeganW

Is it even possible to teach 4 kids to read at the same time? Math basics at the same time? Handwriting skills at the same time?

I am trying to get through 100EZ, HWOT preschool, Singapore EB A, etc., but trying to do it all individually with each kid (including the baby who insists on getting exactly the same lesson as the big kids).

I am completely frustrated / overwhelmed. Is it possible to alter these things to do them in a group instead of individually? Please somebody tell me how to do this, because I am so frustrated right now!

And not to complain, but seriously by the 4th time in a row I have been through a 100EZ Lesson I am about to scream! I know, I know, selfish! I have got to get past it if I am going to homeschool long-term.

My DD is only 13 months older than my twin boy's. I taught all of them to read at the same time using Abeka PreK workbooks and blend ladder book. We did lot's of things on the whiteboard. I used number flashcards to teach recognition and we did lot's of manipulatives for counting etc... Now that she is in 1st and they are in K, we do a lot of things seperate. We do Bible, history, science & storytime together.

I would do it kindergarten style. I'm not sure how I'd do your program... which I have seen.... but with WRTR or SWR, I'd just do phonics like in a classroom. Show the "A" say... A (like apple) A (like ate) and A (like aw). I'd have them do a ... (well.. I do cursive for littles... if you really wanna teach something once... and there's ton of reasons for cursive first..) anyway.. then I'd do the whole... lets do it 4 more times... (or whatever) and then go on for how many every you practice. My daughter's kindy class had 8 students, and that's how they did it:-) I would NOT be doing all the kids separately. I would not, of course, pressure any of them... BUT, I would make it as easy as I could... on myself. (I'd wait a year or so if I had to... to teach it all together....)

I would do math the same way, too. I would teach the "class".

:-)

My oldest 2 are close in age (18 mos), I had them doing Blend Phonics together - my oldest struggles in reading. It worked for awhile, I ended up splitting them because my older needs a different approach. So I guess I'd work with them together until you figure out what each one needs, and only split them if you have too. Or perhaps do 2 groups of 2? For you little one, can you maybe just do a few minutes of letter sounds with magnet letters or something simple?

Games are fun. I think Elizabeth's game (on the phonics page website) would be good. I will be combining my oldest 2 on that next week.

They are young too, can you just do less formal learning with them? Spend time doing games, being outdoors, reading stories, etc. Or do what Charlotte Mason suggests, and work on habits?

Is it even possible to teach 4 kids to read at the same time? Math basics at the same time? Handwriting skills at the same time?

I am trying to get through 100EZ, HWOT preschool, Singapore EB A, etc., but trying to do it all individually with each kid (including the baby who insists on getting exactly the same lesson as the big kids).

I am completely frustrated / overwhelmed. Is it possible to alter these things to do them in a group instead of individually? Please somebody tell me how to do this, because I am so frustrated right now!

And not to complain, but seriously by the 4th time in a row I have been through a 100EZ Lesson I am about to scream! I know, I know, selfish! I have got to get past it if I am going to homeschool long-term.

I'd poke my eyes out with a stick if I had to do 100EZL more than once a day. (And, I used it successfully with 3 dc. . .but they were 2-3 years apart!!)

I would HIGHLY suggest you try the Explode the Code series ASAP.

I have not tried to use it as my sole phonics instruction, but it has been a wonderful complement to 100EZL. . . and perhaps you can START with ETC and then add other stuff later. . . (with any luck a couple of the kids will learn with just ETC and you won't have to get to a "later!" lol)

I don't know any of the other phonics programs, since all I ever used was 100EZL and ETC. . . but if I were you, I'd examine all the biggies (search these boards) to see if any lend themselves better to group instruction. . .

If all else fails, can you hire a helper 5-10 hours a week to come in for 1-2 hours a day a few days a week to do reading lessons with some of the dc? Much better, would your dh be willing to take on ONE of the kids?

You could do each child 3 days a week. . . doing a 100EZL lesson with TWO kids each day (so 6 teaching days). . . that'd be two lessons for you each day. (If dh could do just one kid. . . that'd help a lot)

3 days a week will still get through 100 EZL in 34 weeks. That's just fine!!

Meanwhile, you can practice some skills/words/etc in groups. Play games (we did a flash-card version of charades that would work great. . .) Peggy Kaye's Games for Reading book might have some great ideas for you. . .

And, you can do ETC books in group, easily, readily. . .It'll be fun. . .ANd painless for you. . . and will help the 100EZL lessons (or whatever else you do) go smoother!!

ps. Can't you do Singapore EB in a group?? It's been a while since I used it with my littles, but I can't remember a reason why you couldn't do the teaching portion in group, then have each child sitting simultaneously doing their work while you help whoever needs a hand. . . I'd think that'd work just great and the teaching portions could be great fun in a little group.

I have twins, so I somewhat understand your frustration in trying to teach children that are the same level, especially with the sheer amount of time needed for individual instruction at this age. As you know, it is really difficult to give the necessary time to each for phonics, math, and handwriting.

To remedy my frustration, I adopted a classroom-style way of teaching. I set up a long table with them on one side facing a big whiteboard on the wall. This keeps them in their seats too. ;) After some training in this method, they have really adapted to this way of doing things. I use OPGTR, and I use the whiteboard to teach the lessons. I do not teach phonics twice. We take turns reading the words and sentences. We also use ETC for reinforcement, and I've taught them to work independently on these, and then we review any mistakes one-on-one. The whiteboard also comes in handy for teaching handwriting. I write/"teach" the letter on the board, and they practice on big-lined paper while I walk around and watch/correct their strokes.

For math, we use Singapore and Miquon, and I sit at the table with them and we work through the lesson together. Math is the most frustrating at this point for me, but I just push through.

I know this stage is difficult, but I just keep telling myself once they can read and write independently, things will be a little easier as far as teaching to a group. We'll all get there....:grouphug:

OK, I'm feeling a little better about this now. I guess I thought I *HAD* to do them separately or, well I don't know. They'd be scarred for life or something! :) Alright - going to rethink and configure a classroom approach, perhaps with a side of the 2 one day, 2 the other approach. (Why didn't I think of that?) Thank you so much for the ideas getting me heading in the right direction!!

I have 3 ages 7, 4, and 3yo.

We OFTEN sit up 3 little chairs in front of the chalkboard and do a phonogram lesson and handwriting lesson in one fell swoop. They each have little lap-chalk boards too. My 7yo is the only one who HAS to do some independent work.

With the ages of your dc, I would do as much as possible in 20min at the white board.;) I would employ dh as co-listener, and have a nightly "read to mommy and daddy" time.

If it comes down to it, I would drop formal math work until the dc could do something like ETC fairly independently. Throw some cuisenaire rods out to play on the table...maybe they could do that while you pull out one dc at a time to read.

I've taught groups with Blend Phonics and Webster's Speller.

Just teach from a large white board and they each have little white boards to do some spelling. You can have them take turns sounding out words and also do some work as a group with them all sounding and and spelling words together.

Blend Phonics was designed to be taught in groups of 40+ students, if you download the original Blend Phonics, it has notes about how to teach to a group, here is one idea from the document:

I recall one instance when we had sounded out the word “mill.†To avoid missing anyone, ordinarily I called on the children in turn, but this time I simply had to break the rule to call on the little fellow who was waving his hand frantically and just bursting to tell us something. He blurted out, “My daddy has a sawmill.â€

Webster's Speller is useful if they are all at slightly different points, because the foundation is syllables and you start each lesson with a few syllables. Then, while you are taking turns with the level each child is at, the others can learn a bit from watching. If you do one or two words with each child and rotate through quickly, it keeps their attention better.

I would think HWOT could DEFINITELY be done together. Never done Singapore, so I don't know. We do OPG but if you really wanted to do reading one on one, you could have the other three play in a different room, have room time individually (sep. rooms), watch TV - each of those things in 30 min increments and the 4th increment would be learning to read w/you. You'll just have to see if some of them are on the same level and could be taught together, or if there are those who *need* that one-on-one, you know? I am only teaching 2 at the same time (truly couldn't imagine 4!) but those are some things I do so I can teach individually.

Ok, I copied a bunch of beginning letters & "words" from 100EZ onto cardstock, blown up to 200%. I'm gonna give it a whirl!

Thank you all so much for being so supportive! Everyone in my "real life" just keeps saying it isn't possible to homeschool 4 kids, especially 4 who are so close in age. I really was starting to buy into it, and just needed the affirmation and push from you to let me know that this *IS* possible with creative thinking! :) (And truly I think once we get past this first stage, it will be easier for me to homeschool them than it would be to homeschool 4 at vastly different ages, or to deal with 4 different public school classrooms' worth of assignments!) Thanks again for the encouragement - it was just what I needed!

Definitely go for a classroom approach rather than one on one. I think that's the only way you will survive.

But.... have you thought about something like Headsprout for reading? It's pretty independent, and it has made the massive amount of practice necessary for getting over that beginning reading hump fairly painless for both my kids. They certainly need more practice after the program, and even while during it, but I've loved the progress that both of them have made, the lack of fine motor skills necessary, and the fact that it's something they (mostly) like to do. That might allow them to get the independent practice, along with group lessons from a different program.

Ok, I copied a bunch of beginning letters & "words" from 100EZ onto cardstock, blown up to 200%. I'm gonna give it a whirl!

Thank you all so much for being so supportive! Everyone in my "real life" just keeps saying it isn't possible to homeschool 4 kids, especially 4 who are so close in age. I really was starting to buy into it, and just needed the affirmation and push from you to let me know that this *IS* possible with creative thinking! :) (And truly I think once we get past this first stage, it will be easier for me to homeschool them than it would be to homeschool 4 at vastly different ages, or to deal with 4 different public school classrooms' worth of assignments!) Thanks again for the encouragement - it was just what I needed!

Oh, yes, hang in there. It will be immensely easier once they are all reading. That's the really time consuming one-on-one critical thing. Everything else is gravy at this age. If you can get them all reading by the time they turn 6, you'll be in great shape.

History, science, logic, literature, and so many other subjects will not only be easy to do in a group, but having co-students will make the study more fun and richer for each child. It'll be great!!

Just keep experimenting until you find materials that work for you. Blowing up your sounds, etc on cardstock sounds like a great idea. Whiteboard lessons will also work great. Many parts of the 100EZL lessons could be done in a group. . . Just the story reading parts will need to be 1-on-1. . . And, the more word/sound/rhyming/sayitslow/sayitfast/etc practice you do in a group, the faster those 1-on-1 lessons will go.

You can do it!!

Everyone in my "real life" just keeps saying it isn't possible to homeschool 4 kids, especially 4 who are so close in age.

If it's not possible to teach 4 kids of approx. the same age, then how do schools do it with more than that?? lol :) Now, *I* don't know how they do it, but obviously it can be done.

Doesn't mean it'll be easy, but, then, good things rarely are!

I would definitely look for curriculum that's actually used in schools and avoid the programs that demand tons of one-on-one time, allowing you to work in that individual time as needed.

I set up a long table with them on one side facing a big whiteboard on the wall. This keeps them in their seats too.

This is exactly what I did for my 3 children. I taught them phonics this way and it worked so good for us. The boy's were PreK and DD K when we started. They are all reading way above grade level so it must have worked. :D Also, I kept the lessons very short.

I also have three kids(ages 10,10, and 11) that are together for most subjects. I agree with everything that's been said---use a group approach. Singapore math works well for group instruction. Just take turns answering the problems in the textbook or have them write the answers down. When they are older, I suggest Rod and Staff English or Shurley English because they were both written for classroom settings. In fact, most Shurley English lessons have three practice sentences--one for each of your triplets!

Just to let you know--it is actually better when they are older. It is so much more enjoyable to be working together with my youngest three than it was to do it one at a time with my older two. We do projects together, have discussions, help each other, take turns reading aloud, ect.

Hang in there--teaching reading was not enjoyable at all for me--even when it was only one kid! :001_huh:

Just to let you know--it is actually better when they are older. It is so much more enjoyable to be working together with my youngest three than it was to do it one at a time with my older two. We do projects together, have discussions, help each other, take turns reading aloud, ect.

Hang in there--teaching reading was not enjoyable at all for me--even when it was only one kid! :001_huh:

Thank you so much - that gives me something to look forward to!!!