Menu

Feeling overwhelmed about Homeschooling

MeganG

Hi all, My name is Megan, and I'm new to The Well-Trained Mind. I'm amazed at all of the wonderful advice and info that's available here, and I've already had many of questions answered - thank you!

Here is my struggle, and I would greatly appreciate any wisdom and insight any of you have to offer...(please forgive me - this is long)

I'll be homeschooling my dd (6 yrs. old - 7 in June) for 1st grade next year. She currently goes to a part-day, 4 day a week Kindergarten. I've been trying to do some supplemental work with her on Fridays because she is capable, and I want to make sure she's being challenged. Iv'e kind of been looking at these Fridays as practice for next year, and to maybe work out some of the bugs ahead of time. My tendency is to want to use a curriculum that goes day by day and clearly explains the directions, and is fun (imo) - it's mostly worksheets. I think I tend to gravitate toward these because it seems to be the easiest way to make sure I'm not leaving anything out of her schooling. The problem is that she sits at the table and is either board, distracted, or just doesn't want to be doing this. Yes - she is strong-willed, No - she isn't ADD or ADHD.

One example is handwriting - She has developed some pretty sloppy writing habits that I'm now trying to fix. We've been using A Reason for Writing to try to help her improve, and a lesson that should imo take about 20 min. to complete is taking about 45 min. at times!

I feel like it's like pulling teeth to get her to do anything, and I end up feeling stressed out and overwhelmed - I can't imagine doing this every day!

Is part of my problem the way I'm going about things? I'm constantly drawn to the idea and philosophy of Charlottle Mason, as well as Classical, but I feel like I need a more structured, step by step approach for my first year of homeschooling. I feel like I need a schedule to help hold myself accountable.

I guess my main questions are these: Is it, perhaps, that I've just got to approach teaching her in some other way than table work? I'm so sorry if this is a ridiculous question, but to me it would be so much easier to do it this way...figuring out another way feels like it's going to push my creativity to the extreme limits! *please see my edit, bellow...:)

Also - how can I use Charlotte Mason AND make sure that I'm covering everything and not leaving anything out?

I'm sure there are other posts on this topic, so please feel free to refer

me, if that's easier. :)

One of her favorite things to do is just cuddle up on the couch and read, look at pictures, talk about stories, etc. We could do this for hours. She's even much more into grammar, math, etc., if we're just sitting on the couch! Maybe I need to find a "curl up on the couch" curriculum!?

Thanks so much in advance!

megan

...edited to say this....I realize that it probably sounds awful that I would NOT want to stretch my creativity to it's limits - it's not that I don't, it's just that I don't know where to start, or how to go about it. I'm realizing that homeschooling is probably not going to be the picture that I originally had in mind, and that's OK...I'm just wondering if there's anyone else out there that had to work through these similar issues. I know that if I let it become what God wants it to be it and stop worrying about MY plans for it, it WILL be what's best for my kids - only He knows best, after all! I guess I need to let go of some preconceived notions... *sigh* ;)

Edited by MeganG

I think at this age some table work is fine mixed in with lots of curling up on the couch. You might want to try shorter lessons at the table for now. Try just a couple of minutes of copywork at first unless she chooses to go longer. Build up the amount of time as she becomes more interested. You might also try having her choose her own sentences or words to copy. Or you could prepare copywork from something you read together that she seemed to especially enjoy. Certain sentences will get my kids to laughing because we had so much fun with them during read-aloud time.

:grouphug:

Getting started is difficult. Especially as you say... to let go of some preconceived notions and hit reality.

It sounds like you're pretty convinced on the Classical Education approach. You're way ahead of where I was when I first started! :D

I think you need to keep in mind your dd is very young yet. If she's already going to school 4 days a week she's probably not overly interested in doing "school" at home in addition to this. My thoughts would be to keep this time fun playing educational games, etc. Something she looks forward to. Then, to transition to hs you could keep Fridays this way, doing your more structured work the other 4 days. This might help the transition.

A lot of children this age don't do well with worksheet after worksheet. I would say even 20 min. of handwriting would kill my K'er. I would shoot for about 10 min. I use Handwriting Without Tears and it is perfect for my young ones. Just a few letters on each page, not overwhelming at all.

I'm not sure what else you're using...

We use All About Spelling which has hands on letter tiles included with it. This really helps younger students pay attention.

Math with manipulatives also is good because they are concrete learners. A lot of young children need to be doing something to learn. They need to see it, touch it, move it....

Above all, several short lessons are better than a few long ones. The average child has an attention span that lasts about one minute per year of age. (most can focus longer on things they enjoy, or if they are being entertained, but for structured work this is a good guideline). From there you can slowly work to a longer time spent paying attention. Basically, less is more the younger they are.

I don't think you need to be overly creative... just mindful of realistic expectations for a first grader.

Certainly do the "couch" things your dd loves. If that's where she wants to do math... fine... let her! Pajamas are also fun! :001_smile:

As far as covering everything... it helps to have a plan. Or curriculum that provides you with a plan. I would highly suggest looking at WTM. That has given me the big picture I've needed and guided my curriculum choices.

It will come! Take it one step at a time and have fun! The first year is the hardest IMO... once you get a footing it gets easier!

I have a 6.5 yo dd who will be 7 in July...and I have found first grade to be more of a fight than K! So, I think it's just partly the age. :lol:

I know I have to pick my battles with dd. Don't feel like you are alone in this! No matter how wonderful your child is...or the curriculum is...or the teacher is (;)) there are going to be battles.

Homeschooling looks nothing like I'd imagined, so you're not alone there either.

If you're drawn to Charlotte Mason but want more structure, some websites you may want to look at are simplycharlottemason.com (they have a curriculum guide with suggestions) livingbookscurriculum.com (a complete curriculum with living books), and heartofdakota.com (a completely scheduled Charlotte Mason leaning curriculum).

On my first day of homeschooling I had planned a lovely set of activities around the letter A. My daughter and I would watch ants and see what kinds of crumbs they liked, sing "The Ants Go Marching," make apple prints, learn the sign language alphabet. I had a beautiful list of other A things that would go on all week. My daughter had other plans. After fighting (mostly unsuccessfully) her urgent desires to hunt for Easter eggs (no, it was not Easter time), hang Barbies from string on an umbrella outside and twirl them around to give them "rides," bake cookies, decorate the dog with beaded necklaces, etc., I gave up and went out to to a very early dinner with her. In the bathtub when she was too tired to protest, we finally practiced the sign language A, B, and C. Oh, well.

There were two things that eventually helped: one was that I became the Queen of Curriculum Adjustment or overthrow -- able to know when to jettison something and when to reintroduce it. The other was that I invited my daughter into the planning stages even at a young age. Incorporate your daughter's interests and passions (I still do this; I spent one year rewriting math word problems into Star Trek problems. It doesn't take as long as it sounds like it would.) Read picture books and chapter books about things that she likes; chat about them and maybe act out a few stories together with minimal props as a way to ease her into the narration process. Start a "wonder" book and let her draw to illustrate the questions you write down. Then try to find answers together.

If it helps to schedule this, try a schedule, but think of it as scheduling activities and games rather than workbook pages. Remember that kids learn through play and exploration as much, if not more, than through being "taught," especially on paper, at this age. It then transfers all the more easily to paper later on. (I can say this with some confidence because my daughter had fine motor and vision problems when young and our early years were practically writing-free. A few years later when she did become more able to control a pencil, she surged forward and made years' worth of progress in a short period of time.) If your child begs for worksheets -- and some do -- indulge it. Mine had an obsession with logic workbooks.

I concur with the poster above who encourages all of us to remember how young your child still is. Many kids have a hard time sitting still for anything longer than five minutes at this age. Most of them fully inhabit their bodies in a way we tend to forget as we grow older -- I mean grow more mature and adult-like -- and need to have movement incorporated into their learning. They're not too old for this at seven. Peggy Kaye's "Games For Learning" and "Games for Math" are terrific books; some of the math games are things like jumping around on numbers you (or they) write in chalk on the sidewalk or patio. You can do adding, subtracting, odds and evens, even multiplication and division through this simple game that lets them work off energy at the same time. There are lots more in the books, and you can usually find the books at the library. There are also "Games For Reading" and "Games For Writing" that incorporate more movement and an element of play that appeals to a lot of kids who have trouble sitting still in a more formal environment. You get to the same skills, but just approach them differently.

You can schedule this sort of activity as "school time" if it helps you both. Try creating, perhaps together, a chart on a whiteboard, or a big piece of cardboard, or whatever works: on it figure out how to show her what will go on during the day. Lots of people on these board use workboxes and can tell you how they work and how their kids use them. Make sure to leave room for your daughter to make a few choices, like what board games to play or what math games to practice. You may have to experiment a bit before you find a system that works for both of you.

One final note: the months between February and September are a relatively long time for a young child, and you might find your daughter is a lot more prepared and able to sit down to work that engages her in the fall.

After homeschooling my kids for over 13yrs, I am still learning myself. I found that my kids all learn differently and therefore I need to teach to them differently. It has definitely stretched me and sometimes made me crazy. First of all, she is in 1st grade and you need to relax. Does she know how to read? If not I would concentrate on that next year and add in math, lots of reading books, and a little handwriting. You might want to try handwriting without tears instead of Reason for handwriting.

I let all my kids do their schoolwork where they feel comfortable. If this means that they lay on their bed or sit on the couch that's fine. The only time I make them sit at the table is when they are doing handwriting or writing some dictation and such.

It sounds to me as if she might be an auditory learner if she loves to sit on the couch and listen to you read. So getting books that teach about history, science, and just plain fun books would work great for those subjects, although I don't believe either is necessary at 1st grade.

Relax and remember to have fun and not stress out about this. You will be amazed at how much she will learn by just doing everyday things that you can include her in such as: cooking, cleaning, gardening, going to the bank, or the store ect.....

Blessings

You've been given a lot of good advice. I have an almost 7 year old first grader who has horrible writing, too. One thing I try to remember is to choose my battles. We practice handwriting a bit each day. He knows how to write correctly, I've made sure of that. So, then I just make sure one worksheet is "correct" in his best writing and then the rest... well, as long as I can read it... He's just lazy and sloppy. And a six year old boy. I try to do a mix of worksheets and "fun" stuff. We use A Beka for phonics/language arts and math, so I know they're getting a solid foundation in the basics. But, we also use SOTW1 for history, which they love. So, it's kind of like eating your vegetables and then getting dessert.

I understand what you mean about stretching your creativity. You can have an amazing homeschool program going.... and also burn yourself out. Some people love it, they thrive on it, it's their thing. It's not my thing. I do like to homeschool my kids, but I also like to garden and scrapbook and I'm very involved in the children's program at my church. I also discovered, that my children's enjoyment of the "extras" (as in cool science experiments with kindergarteners, etc.) was not proportional to my hard work in doing it all. I mean, when you spend hours putting something together, only to have your 5 year old boy sigh and say, "Are we done yet?" I just didn't feel it was worth it.

Handwriting Without Tears (HWT) has some fun, hands on handwriting ideas.

I've found it easier to teach from the HWT chalkboard when they are first learning to print, and for cursive we wrote on the white board at first, then transitioned to paper.

Here's a fun phonics game:

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Phonics/concentrationgam.html

For math, we like the Right Start games:

http://www.rainbowresource.com/product/RightStart+Mathematics+Game+Cards+%286+Decks%29/025800/1266630656-1712754

For a bit more, you can get the abacus with the games, I've found it useful for explaining borrowing and carrying for addition and later will be useful for other things, as well:

http://www.rainbowresource.com/product/RightStart+Mathematics+Math+Card+Games+Kit/041356/1266630656-1712754

For K, it works best to do short focused work with a lot of games.

My tendency is to want to use a curriculum that goes day by day and clearly explains the directions, and is fun (imo) - it's mostly worksheets. I think I tend to gravitate toward these because it seems to be the easiest way to make sure I'm not leaving anything out of her schooling.

One example is handwriting - She has developed some pretty sloppy writing habits that I'm now trying to fix. We've been using A Reason for Writing to try to help her improve, and a lesson that should imo take about 20 min. to complete is taking about 45 min. at times!

I feel like it's like pulling teeth to get her to do anything, and I end up feeling stressed out and overwhelmed - I can't imagine doing this every day!

Is part of my problem the way I'm going about things? I'm constantly drawn to the idea and philosophy of Charlottle Mason, as well as Classical, but I feel like I need a more structured, step by step approach for my first year of homeschooling. I feel like I need a schedule to help hold myself accountable.

Also - how can I use Charlotte Mason AND make sure that I'm covering everything and not leaving anything out?

I'm sure there are other posts on this topic, so please feel free to refer

me, if that's easier. :)

There are several CM type curriculum out there that will give you the day to day structure you want. In addition to those already mentioned there is also Sonlight and My Father's World and others that I cannot think of right now. THe right fit for your family will depend on what exactly appeals to you and what works for your dd.

Handwriting. One way to help your frustration is the limit the time that you spend working on handwriting. Perhaps you will need to limit to 5 minutes at first. 5 minutes of perfect attention (CM talks about this) is far better than 45 min of frustrations on your part and tears on hers. Gradually work up to the time that you think she should spend on handwriting ( or whatever subject) each day.

Don't let the desire to " cover everything and not leave anything out" handicap you in hsing! I've graduated 2 and we certainly didn't cover EVERYTHING ( but just enough). :lol:

HTH

Well first of all you need to realized that the best laid plans will likely not go as you planned them! :)

I would take her learning style into consideration, too. She is young and you will learn more about her learning style in the next few years, but it seems clear that she is very creative and is going to buck the system if you try to enforce copious amounts of seatwork. Nothing to worry about at this age, chose what you think is most important (i.e. handwriting), give her some ownership in it (sh gets to choose a sticker when the page is completed to your liking or she can chose a storytime book, etc...) and then be firm in your expectations.

Overall, I would say consistency is the make it or break it subject when beginning to homechool. You are the teacher and the work you require should be done in a reasonable timeframe with a good attitude. Once you get that down, you will have a pleasant foundation to build upon.

All that being said, if you are looking for a curl up on the couch curriculum, look into Sonlight. Lots of excellent age-appropriate literature selections to snuggle up and read together. Not really any busywork and actually more thorough than first glance might have you believe. It has a day by day schedule that is very clearly laid out and several components that you can pick or choose such as math, handwriting and art. It may be just what you are looking for at this stage and it is lots of fun for kids who like to be read to!

Welcome! I had the same problems you're discribing. I was using straight A Beka K and she was miserable (especially since she already knew how to read). Then, a friend recommended 2 books to me:

The Well Trained Mind

A Charlotte Mason Education by Catherine Levison

I would get a copy of those and start reading. A Charlotte Mason Education is like the cliffs notes of Charlotte Mason. It gives you some great ideas to start with. Then, move on to TWTM. Also, go to your local convention this year. Don't buy anything but books for you! But talk to the vendors, look at the curriculum, sit through "getting started" workshops and meet other moms. Then, by this summer, you'll have a better idea where you're going and what you want to do.

Blessings

Dorinda

PS in the meantime, one of the best K curriculums with the Charlotte Mason feel is Five in a Row. It is all about couch and cuddle time. No writing involved. I would worry about writing next year and enjoy the rest. HTH! dorinda

(please forgive me - this is long)

My tendency is to want to use a curriculum that goes day by day and clearly explains the directions, and is fun (imo) - it's mostly worksheets. I think I tend to gravitate toward these because it seems to be the easiest way to make sure I'm not leaving anything out of her schooling. The problem is that she sits at the table and is either board, distracted, or just doesn't want to be doing this. Yes - she is strong-willed,

I'm so sorry if this is a ridiculous question, but to me it would be so much easier to do it this way...figuring out another way feels like it's going to push my creativity to the extreme limits!

One of her favorite things to do is just cuddle up on the couch and read, look at pictures, talk about stories, etc. We could do this for hours. She's even much more into grammar, math, etc., if we're just sitting on the couch! Maybe I need to find a "curl up on the couch" curriculum!?

Welcome! OK, first, there are no such thing as ridiculous questions on this board. Second, your post is not too long - you write as much as you need to, in order to talk about your situation and ask your questions. Third, I think we've all BTDT with the same questions!:grouphug:

I agree with everyone who said "Go for it" with doing school lessons on the couch - my couch is an extension of my backside by now - I have to flip the cushions over and switch them around regularly so they don't develop indentations :lol:. Don't get me wrong, we have our daily struggles at times, but I have found that if we are comfortable, fed, exercised, and rested, then my kids learn better or at least concentrate better on those mental grammar or math exercises, etc.. They do go off and work at a table for their independent work, but we do a lot together on the couch first.

I have a strong-willed child, too, and let's just say that it is a learning process for me to learn how to work around that. But I'd have to learn this whether or not he/she was home educated or building-school educated.

As for the structure, I, too, would say read The Well-Trained Mind book - it will tell you how to do *everything*, and then you can tweak it to suit your own family.

Good luck and use these boards for all their worth - they have been like gold to me.

BTW, speaking of exercise - we have one of those huge rubber purple bouncy exercise balls. My kids used to use this a lot in the younger grades, while I drilled them in math facts or other memory work - they'd bounce and recite, and it was more fun for them. They still get it out sometimes when they are feeling antsy.

You're just where I was a year ago! My dd was in private K at a Christian school, and we decided to homeschool for 1st and I was in a tizzy trying to figure it all out for this year. My advice is drop the school at home for this year. Read all the book reco's people have given you, and try to resist the urge to do school at home. I too thought my dd would like (and needed) worksheets, because, after all that was what she was doing at private K! No way was that what she wanted (I found out too late)! I spent a few hundred $ on traditional curriculum that we promptly dropped within about a month. I'm now using almost all WTM recos, and they are working well. I second the Handwriting Without Tears reco -- it has worked well for my dd who has had some major penmanship issues (but is now much improved, and I'm going to start her on cursive in 2nd grade). But you only need 5 or 10 minutes a day on it max.

It's ok to want to use something that's planned out for you. But you can find things that aren't "school at home" workbook type that are that way too (or follow the recos in WTM,and many of those are laid out with day by day plans too). I'm not sure if anyone else mentioned looking at Sonlight? Also, look at Simply CHarlotte Mason -- they have a lot of things on DVD, and a great planning tool called "Planning Your Charlotte Mason Curriculum" (that isn't just for CM'ers) that I just got, and am totally excited about using -- the DVD is really good along with the book to help you think through lay out what you want to do.

Hang in there, read a lot & trust yourself and your daughter! You'll do great!

Edited by monalisa
add

I'll be homeschooling my dd (6 yrs. old - 7 in June) for 1st grade next year. She currently goes to a part-day, 4 day a week Kindergarten.

I think I tend to gravitate toward these because it seems to be the easiest way to make sure I'm not leaving anything out of her schooling. The problem is that she sits at the table and is either board, distracted, or just doesn't want to be doing this.

Writing to try to help her improve, and a lesson that should imo take about 20 min. to complete is taking about 45 min. at times!

;)

An assortment of thoughts:

I, personally, would "connect" with your child as a teacher. Spring is coming. Most children love animals and nature at this age. Start some sprouts in a clear container and see the roots grow (like corn and bean). Go on nature walks. Or if she likes art, do art. Make yourself her partner in discovering the wonders of the world together. And not just on the couch, in a physical activity as well. Hands on children's museums are good for a field trip. I used REAL Science Od for bio in 1st and we had a very good time.

At that age, I required 5 minutes of handwriting only. I used Z-B which is simple and uncluttered. Once kiddo got better, he wanted to finish two page spreads on his own.

Get something like What your X grader Needs To Know (Core Knowledge books) to make sure you aren't "missing anything".

Consider simple math games like Dino Math Tracks and Sum Swamp. If she likes manipulatives, consider Miquon (my son didn't like manips, but he did like EB math very much). Math facts Go Fish (homemade) was a hit here. Ditto dice games.

Once I started getting 5 minutes good seat time per subject, I would pick ONE to extend, and not every day.

If she loves the reading, do it after the little task of the day is done, as a reward. I made my expectations very matter of fact: one page of handwriting please. Do your best work. Do you want help, or shall I load the dishwasher? Load? Okay, and as soon as you are done, we'll read My Father's Dragon.

We waded in slowly, and are wading deeper still.

Ask here for more specific inspirations for topics.

Wow! Thank you all so much for making me feel so welcome and for all of the advice and encouragement! I am now looking up all the suggestions and putting things in my HS bookmark file... :)

I'm cracking up at this, KarenAnne...

"hang Barbies from string on an umbrella outside and twirl them around to give them "rides," - That is so my daughter. She creates and builds things out of everything in the house. Today she made a train for all of the stuffed bears in the house out of bins and baskets that she taped and tied together with tape and those plastic tube things that you twirl around and make music with. Yesterday she made a bird's nest out of an old wire tomato plant cage and curling ribbon (filling it with grass and leaves and hanging it from a tree). My vision and hers are so very different. As much as I want to teach her, I'm seeing that I have alot to learn from her as well.

I think part of my problem is that my husband and I kept her back a year (for many reasons including her being very sensitive and that she plays and interacts better with other kids when they are her age and younger vs. older kids) - she's a summer b-day, so she'll be 7 going into 1st grade this fall. I feel sometimes like we've done her a dis-service though intellectually. She was reading at 4, and is now loving K, but I know she would be so much farther along had we put either put her in school earlier or had I HS'd her for K the yr. before and this yr. for 1st. Why am I second guessing myself, after dh and I prayed and prayed about this decision? I guess I'm just putting too much pressure on myself to make sure I do the right thing for her (and my ds -4, too), because I love them so much! Her brother is is definitely going to reap the benefits of being the second child! :lol:

MeganG, your daughter sounds so much like mine! When she was six and sevenish I sometimes felt like we had the Tape, String, and Pipe Cleaner Curriculum. I remember her building hammocks for stuffed animals by stringing chairs together with ropes and hanging blankets over them... I could never pick up anything without having to disentangle pipe cleaner handles or yarn from it. Once she got so interested in bandaging things that she mummified an entire pile of Barbies, including their hair -- bandaged braids and buns and ponytails. It was pretty hysterical. Cherish the moments!

I think part of my problem is that my husband and I kept her back a year (for many reasons including her being very sensitive and that she plays and interacts better with other kids when they are her age and younger vs. older kids) - she's a summer b-day, so she'll be 7 going into 1st grade this fall. I feel sometimes like we've done her a dis-service though intellectually. She was reading at 4, and is now loving K, but I know she would be so much farther along had we put either put her in school earlier or had I HS'd her for K the yr. before and this yr. for 1st. :lol:

OK, I don't know how your state's homeschool laws are, but where we live, grade levels are pretty much a moot point. If you feel like she is working above grade level in a couple of years, then you could officially "graduate" her into that next level. At the end of the day, isn't it just between you, the kid and the curriculum?

Also, the great thing about homeschooling (in most states) is that you can put them at "their" level in a curriculum. You are not confined to follow what the other students are doing in class. If she accelerates later, I would just let her move as quickly as she wants. I have a 2nd grader who will (unbeknownst to her) be starting a 4th grade curriculum next year. It just feels wrong to me to make her tread water for a year so I could make her fit into the mold of a 3rd grader.

Good luck and don't worry! :tongue_smilie:

I mean, when you spend hours putting something together, only to have your 5 year old boy sigh and say, "Are we done yet?" I just didn't feel it was worth it.

Oh, I can so relate. It greatly pains me that my kids could care less about building pyramids out of sugar cubes or reenacting the Civil War. They would much rather get their work done and pursue their other interests.

Our first year of homeschooling we used Sonlight. It was a great fit. Lots of good books, a daily schedule that is awesome, everything in a box. We have tried it since, but it just isn't a good fit anymore. However, it sounds like it might be perfect for you, at least until you feel more confident.

If it makes you feel any better, my kids often listened to me read while hanging upside down off the couch at that age. I think it is just natural. My dd, who is 10 now, would fall off her chair for no apparent reason several times during the day until just a couple of years ago. :) Once you get into a groove and homeschooling becomes more of everyday life, you will get more relaxed about those things. As long as they get their work done correctly and neatly, it doesn't matter to me where they do it. Maybe try changing the scenery around some-lay outside on a blanket and do math, take your books to the coffee shop and work, etc. I used to be much better about that, but with four it is a bit harder, especially with the toddler.

And another thing about homeschooling... there is no one "right way" to do it. For some people, "school as a way of life" fits them. For us, it really does not. We do school, and then we do our own thing. It would drive me (and the kids) nuts to be "doing school" all day long. We'd never get anything done. Maybe it's because I come from a teacher mindset, and only see "formal school" as learning. I know it's not but... anyhow. THe beauty of homeschooling is that you make it fit your family's personality and lifestyle.

MeganG, your daughter sounds so much like mine! When she was six and sevenish I sometimes felt like we had the Tape, String, and Pipe Cleaner Curriculum. I remember her building hammocks for stuffed animals by stringing chairs together with ropes and hanging blankets over them... I could never pick up anything without having to disentangle pipe cleaner handles or yarn from it. Once she got so interested in bandaging things that she mummified an entire pile of Barbies, including their hair -- bandaged braids and buns and ponytails. It was pretty hysterical. Cherish the moments!

That's hilarious! You aren't in Texas, by any chance, are you? They would probably be great playmates! One yr. we gave her several rolls of scotch tape in her stocking. I still have to hide my tape. ;)

I do try to cherish it, but it's an interesting problem to have as well...few would understand the amount of time it takes to put the house back together after an afternoon of "inventing". So funny. :001_smile:

OK, I don't know how your state's homeschool laws are, but where we live, grade levels are pretty much a moot point. If you feel like she is working above grade level in a couple of years, then you could officially "graduate" her into that next level. At the end of the day, isn't it just between you, the kid and the curriculum?

Yes - you are absolutely right! That is one thing that I look very forward to when we're homeschooling next yr. I guess the guilt I've been feeling has to do with having her in K at private school right now, and wondering if she's really being challenged intellectually - BUT - that is where we felt that she fit in socially. We made that decision before we decided on homeschooling for next yr. Oh well, I guess when I have her home there will be plenty of time to make up for lost time. :)

[quote name=

Our first year of homeschooling we used Sonlight. It was a great fit.... Lots of good books' date=' a daily schedule that is awesome, everything in a box. We have tried it since, but it just isn't a good fit anymore. However, it sounds like it might be perfect for you, at least until you feel more confident.

If it makes you feel any better, my kids often listened to me read while hanging upside down off the couch at that age. I think it is just natural. My dd, who is 10 now, would fall off her chair for no apparent reason several times during the day until just a couple of years ago. :) [/quote]

Thank you for that recommendation! I have thought about Sonlight. Tell me though, is it advanced and challenging enough? Forgive me for asking - I just thought I had read somewhere that it wasn't one of the more advanced curricula - I could be totally off base here! That was early on in my searching, and I could be getting it mixed up w/ something else. Please let me know if I am, as I would very much like to consider it.

Your dd sound like mine! I can't tell you how many times she wiggles out of her chair, or drops her pencil while we're working. :) I glad to know that she might grow out of that.

Edited by MeganG