Menu

How much time for read alouds for K?

Agamemnonsmom

That's great to know. My son (5) has a hard time sitting still for chapter books at this point. I tried Charlie and the Chocolate Factory thinking his love of chocolate would keep him interested but it didn't work :tongue_smilie:

Maybe I'll try a different chapter book

What about trying a chapter or two at a time? That's what I do with my big girl and we discuss what happened in the chapter(s). Then before we start the next one or two chapters (at another time or the next day), we review what happened previously.

It helps, when reading chapter books, to try it when they are eating breakfast or lunch. One of my son's first chapter books was Mr. Popper's Penguins - he still remembers that one.

Depends on the child. I had one who could've listened to stories for hours on end (I don't know how long exactly, because I usually gave out first) and another who, at that age could manage tops 1/2 hour in a sitting. And that was stretching it. I think you have to base your decision on your ds cue. I'd say half an hour is a good minimum. If you can get him to play with blocks or draw while you read more, it might be good. Definitely don't push it beyond what's enjoyable for him.

My 2 cents.:001_smile:

My Father's Dragon is definitely a wonderful first chapter book for littles. My two loved it when they were 3 years old but they were not much into Mr. Popper's Penguins when I tried that one a few weeks back.

I've been slacking off on the reading. Really must get going on that again.

We read with dd4 for 1 1/2 - 2 hours per day total. My dd5 did not want anything to do with chapter books until I got the short books that are divided into chapters. I think the first was a Dr. Dolittle reader. Then I found a Black Beauty reader divided into 4 or 5 chapters, which led to reading the full Black Beauty book when I found one with a picture on every page. That was last summer, and now we are on the full Dr. Dolittle and are planning to do Wizard of Oz next. She just needed to be eased into chapter books.

HTH,

Tracy

When my oldest was considered K, I read aloud for HOURS to a 5 and a 3 yr old. It made up most of our Kindergarten program. It was wonderful and I wish I could turn back the clock. That is what my now 10 yr old remembers most fondly and thinks "school" should be all about. My ds8 has significant special needs and even he would sit for as long as I was willing to read. I miss those days...I really do.

With my 5 year old girl, we are doing perhaps 1.5-2.0 hours of read-alouds a day. If we include audiobooks, which we are listening in our long car drives down the mountain several times a week, we could add another hour or two a day. So combining the two, my daughter gets about 2-3 hours of read-aloud time a day. This includes chapter books, picture books, history lessons, etc...

I am trying to simplify my life so we can get more in!