Menu

Remind me how much total writing for 2nd grade?

Lovedtodeath

I don't know if I'm doing it correctly, but we do WW1 18 pages a month, 10-20 words a la SWR 15 times a month, sentences from AAS about 7 times a month, a short letter once a month. Kiddo is not naturally writer or reader. This is work to him, but getting easier. :)

Thus far, it is all copy work or dictation. He says what he thinks should be in the letter. I write it down and edit it before his eyes, and then dictate it, hopefully having to say it only twice.

We do WWE 2 which only requires 2 sentences dictation and 1 sentence copywork a week. We also do some reading comprehension questions here and there and I have him write about 5 lines in his journal 3x a week. Writing is torture for many 7 year old boys, mine included.

Brownie

Thank you!

I just added her name and date to the WWE pages, so counting that as a sentence she does 3 per day. Then she typically has 4 more words or a sentence for geography or science, but I haven't been enforcing that.

Spelling is a struggle; lately she will use tiles, spell orally, or type for that. I am realizing that she needs to do some actual writing for spelling again.

She is really falling behind her bf who is in PS, and both she and dh are concerned about it, so I want to beef things up.

One other thing... she will draw all day but writing is a struggle. Is this a true phenomenon or is she just being lazy?

My ds and dd are not writers either. My 2nd grade dd does WWE2. She also does 2 sentences in science narration daily and 2 sentences in history narration. She usually has one sentence in grammar as well as some words to write.

I think she's starting to be able to handle more so I'm having her start to write her own narrations in WWE....

This has been a gradual process for us though... last year she cried whenever she had to write a sentence.

• 2 months later...

PR2 = enough :)

But of course, name, date, subject on all loose papers.

Vary by day, but have her write sentences via dictation or copywork for science and history, as "wrap up" for whatever you read.

15 min. to tell about her day, every other day, via a "writing journal" or 1-letter per week to a distant friend or family member.

That's a lot and even my wiggly lil' boys can do it! Tell her to tighten up ;)

I have a writer here. She does R&S 2, and we are doing unit 5 and 6 simultaneously right now per the T.M. So she had a poem to copy in one lesson and definitions to write in the other. She writes long letters and stories daily. Her science, history, and reading narrations are a couple of paragraphs. But she only does one of those subjects a day. The girl was born with a pencil and paper in her hand though.

Until you start PR2 in Aug, a way to beef up might be to make up sentences from various lists in PR1 for dictation or copywork. I do that for dictation for my rising 2nd grader in PR1. It reinforces the spelling words, gets him started on learning how to do dictation in a way that sets him up for success because it's words he already knows from spelling lists, and increases his amount of writing each day.

Until you start PR2 in Aug, a way to beef up might be to make up sentences from various lists in PR1 for dictation or copywork. I do that for dictation for my rising 2nd grader in PR1. It reinforces the spelling words, gets him started on learning how to do dictation in a way that sets him up for success because it's words he already knows from spelling lists, and increases his amount of writing each day.

Thanks HG. Actually someone mentioned using the readers as a source of dictation sentences. I might do that.

We are finishing up our extra long spring break this week, then we will be working through most of the summer.

ahhh extra long break sounds nice :)

I did this in PR1, also. They dictated to me a sentence using a spelling word, I wrote it down, they copied it :)

go PR, go PR, go PR...sorry, just can't help it! (and there are several PR users in this thread)

ps No, I do not financially gain or personally represent, PR ;)