Menu

Any suggestions for helping my dog with her osteo arthritis?

My dog is moving slower lately. She's a SharpPei/Lab mix and almost 13. She weighs about 54lbs, which is ideal for her. Today the Dr. said she is arthritic and currently has her on Deramaxx to help. I know she can't take the Deramaxx long term so is there anything I can give her supplement wise or things I can do to help her be more comfortable. She's a great dog and although her eyes show she's full of life, she just has trouble getting around.

glucosamine

msm

lots of people like cosequin but there are some less expensive options

I've heard lots of good things about adequan injections.

I would not consider taking her off Deramaxx unless you're switching to something else like metacam or tramadol. Pain relief will be critical.

My philosophy is better to have a shorter time on this planet with high quality of life than to extend life but be in pain every moment.

The vet only put her on Deramaxx for 7 days. If she recommends her staying on it I'm fine with that. I just wanted to be prepared to supplement with something OTC if the vet says she doesn't need to stay on the Deramaxx long term. I'm all about her having a good quality of life as pain free as possible. She's been a great friend and we want to keep her as happy as possible.

• 1 month later...

At the health food/supplements place where I worked quite a few customers came in to buy glucosamine chondroiton msm (sorry if I spelled it wrong) for their arthritic dogs. It has to build up in the system but it worked, gave them mobility, freed them of pain and truly worked on the problem. I think this is the best alternative.

Has anyone used vitacost to get discount vitamins/supplements, etc?