Menu

basic algebra for elementary kids?

Halcyon

is there a book or some resource that might be able to help my son with very basic algebra? He was working with my DH on some basic algebra questions and is interested in learning more, and I wonder if there is some fun book out there that might gently introduce him to the concepts.

When I say basic, I mean 2x=12+8 type questions...actually, that may not even be considered algebra :confused: The Let's Play Math blog talks a bit about introducing algebra to young students here.

Edited by Halcyon

Hands-On Equations is a program that introduces algebra concepts to younger-than-average children. It includes manipulatives and moves from hands-on to pencil/paper. My dd did this program when she was about 8 and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Carolyn

Check out the

Key to Algebra series (start with the first 4 books or so)

&/or

McGraw Hill's Complete Book of Algebra & Geometry http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Book-Algebra-Geometry-Grades/dp/0769643302/ref=pd_sim_b_3 (at sam's sometimes for under $6)

I found both to be useful supplements at various times. Neither is a "complete" or rigorous algebra course, but either would fit the bill for what you are looking for. The Complete Book would be more versatile and colorful. The Key To series is dry but very bite-sized and clear.

Check out the

Key to Algebra series (start with the first 4 books or so)

&/or

McGraw Hill's Complete Book of Algebra & Geometry http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Book-Algebra-Geometry-Grades/dp/0769643302/ref=pd_sim_b_3 (at sam's sometimes for under $6)

I found both to be useful supplements at various times. Neither is a "complete" or rigorous algebra course, but either would fit the bill for what you are looking for. The Complete Book would be more versatile and colorful. The Key To series is dry but very bite-sized and clear.

thank you! this may fit our budget better. the first few pages look wonderful.

Miquon math also does a lot of problem solving of the type you are talking about. Even the lowest levels. Sth to think about. . . (I love Miquon as a supplement during Gr1-3. . .)

thanks! already Singapore is doing a fair amount of this type of question, through word problems particularly, but Ii think he'd really enjoy just some 'straight algebra' type questions. But I am now going to check out Miquon...oh, my wallet!!! :tongue_smilie:

I second Hands-on Equations. My son has learned so much! (And IMO you do not need the video--that makes it a little more affordable.)

:iagree:

HOWEVER, make sure if you do decide to get HOE that you also get the Verbal Problems Book. I made the mistake of ordering just the basic kit from Rainbow Resource and then had to go back & order the word problems book later. Without the word problems book, there's not much to HOE.

thanks! already Singapore is doing a fair amount of this type of question, through word problems particularly, but Ii think he'd really enjoy just some 'straight algebra' type questions
One thing you might want to try is solving the CWP's both ways. DD the Elder figured out that the Singapore CWP's could be solved algebraically (I think after reading one of the Murderous Maths books), and left bar diagrams behind forever. I've found the CWP books a good resource for learning how to translate words to an algebraic equation, for no other reason than the number of problems. :)

Is HOE a main curriculum or a supplement? The website says there are seven lessons. How long does it last?

Tara

We use it as a supplement. There are seven lessons/level and three levels. You do all the lessons in level one and the worksheets that go with them, then do all the (many!) level one word problems in the Verbal problems book. Repeat the sequence with levels 2 & 3.

I have my son do 1-2 problems out of the Verbal Problems book each day before we do our RightStart lesson. Doing it at this pace will take us several years. I plan to have it finished by the time he starts VideoText Algebra in 7th grade. You can work through the Verbal Problems book at a quicker pace. It's really up to you.

HTH

It's a supplement, though it would make a nice diversion if you wanted say some summer math or something different for a while. Your pace depends on the age of the student. My dd can do 2 lessons a day and still do her regular math, no problem. She doesn't use the manipulatives either, because she can already see it in her head. The video sort of turned her off at first, but it's incredibly well-done, HIGHLY recommend.

I have my son do 1-2 problems out of the Verbal Problems book each day...Doing it at this pace will take us several years.

We did exactly this (with Hands On Equations). It took just moments a day, lasted a long time (a year or two), and my son felt like he was brilliant by the time we got to the end of it. He feels totally prepared for real algebra. (I hope he's right! LOL!)

On the other hand, if you want to squeeze it in with an older child, yes, there are just a few actual lessons (if you don't do the Verbal Problems) book. So you could zip through it just to get him ready for algebra.

But I'm a slow-and-steady kinda person. :)

Edited by Cindyg

• 1 year later...
One thing you might want to try is solving the CWP's both ways. DD the Elder figured out that the Singapore CWP's could be solved algebraically (I think after reading one of the Murderous Maths books), and left bar diagrams behind forever. I've found the CWP books a good resource for learning how to translate words to an algebraic equation, for no other reason than the number of problems. :)

Moira, at what age did you ditch the bars??

Love this old thread!! :001_smile:

Moira, at what age did you ditch the bars??

Love this old thread!! :001_smile:

DD the Elder started using x during CWP 4, I think towards the end. By that time she was doing fairly complex ratio and proportion problems in another program (we'd ditched the core Singapore program early in 4A), so I wasn't worried that she was following a procedure as opposed to "getting" the problems.

DD the Elder started using x during CWP 4, I think towards the end. By that time she was doing fairly complex ratio and proportion problems in another program (we'd ditched the core Singapore program early in 4A), so I wasn't worried that she was following a procedure as opposed to "getting" the problems.

Thank you!! Sometimes I feel like so much energy is spent drawing the bars correctly....when we could just translate our problems into Hands On Equations (per someone's suggestion) or basic algebra. Dd8 is enjoying HoE verbal problems. I love SM CWP/IP 5 but it can be brutal. Brutally time consuming. Some of the problems take ffffooooorrrrrreeeevvvvveeeeerrrrr by the time we figure out how to set up the problem (all in an attempt to avoid algebra). Is 2 years of CWPs enough? Rambling now....sorry.

It's nice to know we have options. :)

Edited by Beth in SW WA
typo

This thread is OLD! LOL I looked at the title, saw that I was the OP and I was like :confused:...then i realized i posted it a long time ago.

FWIW, i never did splurge on HOE, but we have since begun a lot of algebra problems, primarily using the Singapore Method. Dr. Math has a bunch of "classic algebra" problems that we've played around with.

Interesting-DS has been using x a lot more lately...I think it's somewhere in 4 that they start using it, but he also uses another curriculum. What did you ditch SM 4 in favor of? (I am thinking of finishing this and then switching, so I'm curious :))