Menu

Anyone living near Philadelphia?

That's where we were prior to relocating to Va. We lived on the NJ side --so that's all I can help with: Cherry Hill, Voorhees, Deptford, Washington Twp (very residential, nice - my older dd lives there).

My son in law is from Drexel Hill which is close to Phila.

I'm certain there is more than what I have mentioned, but those are the places with which I'm familiar. All three of our children were born in Phila at Jefferson.

That's where we were prior to relocating to Va. We lived on the NJ side --so that's all I can help with: Cherry Hill, Voorhees, Deptford, Washington Twp (very residential, nice - my older dd lives there).

My son in law is from Drexel Hill which is close to Phila.

I'm certain there is more than what I have mentioned, but those are the places with which I'm familiar. All three of our children were born in Phila at Jefferson.

I grew up in Washington Twp, it is nice. :001_smile: It was always a bedroom community for Philly (well, at one time it was farms, beautiful orchards and such.) The schools used to be good (they still could be, I just don't live there anymore). The taxes are high. That is true for all of Jersey. Some areas are a little higher than others, but they are all high.

I have relatives in Blackwood, Deptford, Glassboro, and other areas near there. I'm fairly familiar with that area.

The thing with living in Jersey is paying the extra city tax (which I think you still pay if you live outside of Philly in PA too), and the cost of commuting. The bridge tolls are high. My dad used a van service, which picked up very close to our house. There are buses and the train (metro ?) which is in the Echelon, Voorhees area.

Good luck on your search.

I have to agree that the taxes are very high in NJ, but the homeschooling laws are great. In PA, the taxes are better, but the homeschooling laws require much more work. There are many nice places to live in NJ. I'm sure there are some on the PA side but I just don't know that area well.

Great train system from the burbs to the city. Jekintown is nice. LOTS of bad areas in the burbs. You must see before you buy!! Elkins Park is very nice- but pricey. We moved away from Abington 3 years ago.

I agree with this. I used to live in Jenkintown which is really nice. They have a train station that is easy to get to with frequent trains into the city. Houses are quite expensive though.

I agree with this. I used to live in Jenkintown which is really nice. They have a train station that is easy to get to with frequent trains into the city. Houses are quite expensive though.

Yes, we lived in Elkins Park for five years and loved it there!! It is expensive to buy a home, but we rented a duplex and it was reasonable. We have fond memories of living in Elkins Park. It's directly north of Philadelphia, just a couple miles above the city limits, and has a great train system that takes you right to downtown. It's a family-friendly, culturally diverse area, with a lot of old homes with lots of character. We moved to Horsham after leaving Elkins Park, a few more miles north, and didn't like it as much. The area was pretty gray and bland, and was always congested with traffic.

I have to agree that the taxes are very high in NJ, but the homeschooling laws are great. In PA, the taxes are better, but the homeschooling laws require much more work.

Having homeschooled in PA for 8 years, I just want to offer some reassurance that homeschooling in PA is EASY. I only spend a few hours per school year working on complying with PA homeschool law. It honestly is nothing to worry about at all. I always feel badly when I hear people ruling out PA as a place to live because of the homeschool laws-- because it is so, so easy!! It must look more difficult on paper than it is in practice, because I'm definitely not the most organized or efficient person and even I think that it is a piece of cake.

Having homeschooled in PA for 8 years, I just want to offer some reassurance that homeschooling in PA is EASY. I only spend a few hours per school year working on complying with PA homeschool law.

Not as easy as not having to do a darn thing. :tongue_smilie: (HEY, it's one of the great things about New Jersey)

NJ taxes often appear to be more and usually are, but check your totals on the PA side esp. if you are choosing to buy a home. Depending on the PA community, there can be a personal income tax of 1% (or more possibly now), school taxes, real estate taxes, income taxes. On a comparison basis, my sister, living in PA, pays far less in RE tax than I do, but when everything is combined, we're about equal.

I lived in Philly as a child. I would not recommend any part of the actual city besides the Northeast(we lived in South Philly).

Drexel Hill and Lansdowne were places that we lived outside the city. I agree that you need to see the place first. Even the better cities have parts that are not so good.

No matter where you live you will have a great public transportation system into the city. Septa(I guess that's still the name) is a great transportation system. We live outside of Pittsburgh now. Public transport is a little anemic here.

I live in Willow Grove right now. Just outside Philly. SEPTA (the acronym for the public transportation system) is great. If you live or work in Philly there is a wage tax. I think it is 4% right now. I don't live or work there, so I don't know exactly. The homeschooling laws are not that bad! Like the other person said, it takes a little bit of your time say twice a year. I grew up in Rhode Island and the cost of living is definately more here. Definately check out a place before agreeing to rent/lease/etc. Philly public schools are not the greatest.

Send me a message if you have any other questions.

Not as easy as not having to do a darn thing. :tongue_smilie: (HEY, it's one of the great things about New Jersey)

Well, yeah, a tiny bit of work is more work than none at all, of course. :tongue_smilie:However, with all the fear that goes around when homeschooling in PA is brought up, I think it's important to point out that it *is* only a tiny bit of work, as opposed to the huge burden that many outside the state may have heard that it is.

My husband and I grew up in Eastern PA. My parents-in-law still lives in Malvern/Paoli, close to Valley Forge park. Very nice, big acreage properties. Main Line area, which is the suburb of Philadelphia including Villanova, Bryn Mawr, Newtown Square, all very nice, beautiful, with many very good schools including very established independent schools. I certainly would not mind moving back.... As others mentioned, the SEPTA system is good. I can't comment on the real estate market, but can't be as bad as CA.

Well, we are not about to move or anything. I am just investigating in case we get any offer...

I am not intimidated by having to send a letter etc. We have a few restrictions here in NH as well and I began homeschooling in NY.

I guess I'd be most inclined to live in PA, but I'd like something slightly rural within one hour to a city. Not sure if that's possible and if public transportation would be an option if so. Right now I am just reading your recommendations and late I'd investigate and research further (if it came even close to that...).

I lived in Salem County, NJ for over 30 yrs...it's less than 30 min to Phila. Taxes are high, as they are all over the state (but maybe not as high as New England). Salem and Gloucester County are both close to Phila and have some nice rural farmland still. I'm happy where I am but the only reason we're not in South Jersey now is because of the taxes.

Carolyn

My husband and I grew up in Eastern PA. My parents-in-law still lives in Malvern/Paoli, close to Valley Forge park. Very nice, big acreage properties. Main Line area, which is the suburb of Philadelphia including Villanova, Bryn Mawr, Newtown Square, all very nice, beautiful, with many very good schools including very established independent schools. I certainly would not mind moving back.... As others mentioned, the SEPTA system is good. I can't comment on the real estate market, but can't be as bad as CA.

:iagree:All beautiful areas. Also Collegeville is a really nice community.

I guess I'd be most inclined to live in PA, but I'd like something slightly rural within one hour to a city. QUOTE]

Lancaster is about 1 1/2 hrs from Philly and is rural. Maybe something in the middle of the two? I'm not sure what lies inbetween the two. We drove through Lancaster to go from Philly to Pittsburgh. It's lovely country with the Amish as neighbors. Lancaster is a little commercialized. But outside the city it is very quiet. Just thought I'd mention it.

Well, we are not about to move or anything. I am just investigating in case we get any offer...

I am not intimidated by having to send a letter etc. We have a few restrictions here in NH as well and I began homeschooling in NY.

I guess I'd be most inclined to live in PA, but I'd like something slightly rural within one hour to a city. Not sure if that's possible and if public transportation would be an option if so. Right now I am just reading your recommendations and late I'd investigate and research further (if it came even close to that...).

If you're willing to be an hour away from the city, and would like a more rural setting, I would highly recommend Bucks County. It is a beautiful place to live. Pricey, but if you can swing it, it's wonderful.