Menu

Chickens????

We're going to be moving to a house with a big yard in a few weeks. I've always thought it would be great to have some chickens so we could have fresh eggs, but we've never had a big enough yard. My husband had a couple of chickens when he was a kid and doesn't remember them laying many eggs, so he doesn't think it'd be worth it.

If we had 4-6 chickens, how much space would they need (in terms of a coop and run - I wouldn't want them to be free range because I don't want chicken droppings all over the yard where the kids will be playing)?

How many eggs could we expect to get out of them?

And how much work are they as far as feeding (I assume just once a day) and cleaning the coop?

Is there anything else I should know before getting into this?

We're going to be moving to a house with a big yard in a few weeks. I've always thought it would be great to have some chickens so we could have fresh eggs, but we've never had a big enough yard. My husband had a couple of chickens when he was a kid and doesn't remember them laying many eggs, so he doesn't think it'd be worth it.

If we had 4-6 chickens, how much space would they need (in terms of a coop and run - I wouldn't want them to be free range because I don't want chicken droppings all over the yard where the kids will be playing)?

How many eggs could we expect to get out of them?

And how much work are they as far as feeding (I assume just once a day) and cleaning the coop?

Is there anything else I should know before getting into this?

We even rent and dont have a huge yard, and we have 4 chooks. I suggest you get a more old fashioned variety rather than a modern one. Ours lay really well for about 18months- an egg a day each- but then it trails off and basically within 2 years they dont lay much. Next time I am going for a more old fashioned variety, which may lay less, but lay for longer. (Its the modern breeding that makes them lay well but for a short time).

The spac we have is only about 2 by 2 metres, but they've also been in a much smaller space- a rabbit cage. You dont need a very big space.

I love our chooks and its great to have somewhere to give the kitchen scraps.

They eat everything. I feed mine what the kids don't eat (we eat scratch stuff here so I'm not worried). I also buy a sack of feed from a local farmer about twice a month (he makes and markets his own) for @ 11 bucks. I have 12 chickens, and am still getting about 6 eggs a day even with the shorter days. When we have long days I get a dozen a day and have plenty to give away.

I have a rather large coop that I compost litter so I clean up about once a year.

And I agree, get a heritage breed.

You've gotten great advice so far! We have Rhode Island Reds, which lay like Peela says, an egg a day starting at about 5-6 months through when they are about 2 years old. Then you can eat them as stewing chickens, give them away, or keep them just as pets.

Do you want on-the-ground or raised housing? If you have your house on the ground, you can have deep bedding by just adding bedding every so often, then clean it out once a year. A raised house needs to be cleaned out more often, but it may deter pests.

Could you move your pen to another part of your yard once a year? If you do, the birds will get fresh grass to eat, and you will get a cleaned-out area for gardening.

As far as space goes, naturally the bigger the run the better because if your chickens get fresh plants their eggs will be tastier and healthier. Here's one link I found by googling "how much space for 6 chickens."

http://www.instructables.com/id/Backyard-Chicken-Coop/

There are several great links at the bottom. The picture is funny because the dog REALLY looks like he wants to eat that chicken coming out of the coop. The run is adequate but rather small, IMHO, and it already looks like the moon landscape. I would double the size. Perhaps the owner will be moving it.

Whatever setup you choose, make sure it is easy to clean out and get the eggs for the children. In the morning my 11 yo lets them out of their house, cleans out their waterer, and gives them fresh water. My 10 year old checks on their food and gives them fresh. He also lets me know when we have less than 1/4 a bag of feed (it comes in 50 lb. bags). My 7 and 5 yos check for eggs and give them scraps and cracked corn. The children take turns closing the door at night (fun with flashlights).

Every month or two the 11 yo cleans out our raised house. It looks like this. You can get it in different colors; ours is blue.

http://www.horizonstructures.com/coop.asp

We got it at our local farm store for 1/2 price, but it was still expensive. If you are handy you can probably build one for a lot less. There is a large "people" door that makes it easy to clean out. He scoops the bedding and droppings into a wheelbarrow, then uses an old (dull) putty knife to scrape off anything that's stuck on. He takes the whole mess to the compost pile. Then he puts about 3" of fresh pine shavings in it. I will whitewash the house in the spring - it was an easy, but messy job to do last year.

Will you be getting chicks or pullets? Chicks are a lot of fun, but much more work. You also need to get more equipment for them.

This is a great family project! Your library will have books you can read with your children to round out your web searching.

Have fun with your chickens!

GardenMom

Here's a chicken breed chart that might help you choose a breed of chicken right for you http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

Check out the backyard chickens forum. Lot's of helpful people on there.

I have Rhode Island Reds and a Barred Rock. They were given to me by a nice lady on freecycle.

They live in a tiny room in an old 12X80 trailer house, it was cheaper buy it than building a coop. Before that, they lived in an old kitchen cabinet that DH fixed up on a shed wall. I've also heard of people using old vehicles for chickens; rip out the carpet and seats, you've got yourself a coop. LOL

We get the pine that they use for horses, and put it on the floor. IT builds up thru the year, and we shovel it out 1-2 times a year. It you google 'deep litter method' you'll find info on this.

My chickens free range. They forage for most of their food. I throw out a few handfuls of feed each day, during the winter also some wild bird seed. They get food scraps every day. You can give them just about anything you can compost. So they really don't need much feed.

They lay 1 egg each a day, which is good. They have a molting period each year where they don't lay eggs, it's too stressful. Some breeds of chickens don't molt. Some don't handle heat well and wont lay during the heat. Some stop during the winter because of lack of light. Some adapt well to free range, some don't. Here's where you'll have to do your research and find the breed you need.

Good luck!

I didn't even think that they could use up my kitchen scraps. What do you feed them? I already get rid of all carrot/potato/parsnip peel and apple peel/cores to the guinea pigs. What will the chickens eat?

Just wanted to make sure you know: uncooked potato peels are about the only thing you can't feed chickens... they don't digest it well. Everything else is fair game though.

You've had great advice so far, I don't have much to add. I have Rhode Island Reds, Barred Rocks and Black Australorps. This spring I'm adding some Ameracaunas, just because I love the blue eggs. :D I've had mine three years and the RIRs are by far the best layers, laying right through the winter when everyone else takes a break! As for coop clean up, my system is very much like Justamouse's, except I clean out the entire thing twice a year, spring and fall. The DE is amazing stuff, and you don't need much. Have fun, chickens are very amusing pets!

I've got two flocks. The big ones are RIRs, California Whites and Silver Laced Wyandottes. Then I have a flock of banties, mostly Silkies with a couple of other breeds. And five guineas. We've got eggs out the wazoo and mine are still laying so many that yesterday I took a mess up to the barn for the barn cats to enjoy.

To me, eggs are eggs. I can't tell a difference in taste from the fresh and the store bought. I just like the chickens. But I think that when my big hens are gone I'm not going to replace them. I'll keep my guineas and the little flock of Silkies. If they don't lay enough eggs I'll feed what they do lay to dh (who swears they taste better than store eggs) and buy a carton or two if I need to.

They create a lot of dust. Their pen is in the back part of my tack building, and it's a bunch of work to keep clean.

I let the shavings pile up and put a dusting of DE (Diatomaceous Earth-food grade) in between layers. Then, once a year I shove it all out and plunk it in the compost.

Great idea! I have a huge bag of DE in the garage.

I'd be super cautious using Diatomaceous Earth, as breathing in the dust can cut up your lungs. It's like breathing in powdered glass. I would not mess with this stuff.

Bill

We have Rhode Island Red bantams. I like having bantams as "backyard" chickens. They are tiny compared to standard chickens, yet the eggs are only slightly smaller.

With all chickens there is a big difference between "production" lines and "classic" varieties. If you get an "old-fashioned" variety, it's worth seeking out a classic line (one that hasn't been mixed with production lines) so you get natural chickens with a modicum of sense, and who haven't had "naturalness" bred of of them.

Chickens are easy and fresh eggs can't be beat.

Bill

We did chickens for the first time this year, with Rhode Island Red chicks from freecycle. If you do start from chicks, keep in mind that you won't be getting any eggs for 5-6 months, although you'll be putting the work into feeding/cleaning/keeping them warm until they can go outside.

DH built a nice two-story chicken "tractor" for our five. The bottom portion is fenced with wire netting and the ground is open so the chickens can be on grass. It's built on sled-type runners so it can be dragged to new grass periodically. There is a board to walk up to the second story, where there are nesting boxes and pieces of wood to roost on. He made hinged flaps on the sides so we can open up just part of it and check for eggs.

Erica in OR

I'd be super cautious using Diatomaceous Earth, as breathing in the dust can cut up your lungs. It's like breathing in powdered glass. I would not mess with this stuff.

Bill

This is going to be a project for my 11yo, so if DE is dangerous, we'll definitely avoid it. Thanks for the heads-up.

How often does the coop need to be cleaned if we're not using it?

So what would be a good 'old-fashioned' variety? My ds wants to get chicks and let them grow-up with us. I'm fine with waiting a few months for eggs. I've researched buying chicks a little, and it seems like there are many different varieties available for sale within a few hours of us. What would be a good choice for chickens that would be good pets, but also good egg-producers?

DH built a nice two-story chicken "tractor" for our five. The bottom portion is fenced with wire netting and the ground is open so the chickens can be on grass. It's built on sled-type runners so it can be dragged to new grass periodically. There is a board to walk up to the second story, where there are nesting boxes and pieces of wood to roost on. He made hinged flaps on the sides so we can open up just part of it and check for eggs.

I love the sound of this coop. I don't suppose you still have your dh's plans for it or know where he found plans for it?

Bill

All of the people on the Backyard Chicken forum told me to use it, I can't imagine they're all sick from it. It's food grade, not the kind for your pool.

It de-mites the chickens and coop, keeps the smell down and also keeps parasites out of the chicken's intestinal system. The farmer whom I buy it from uses it. I've used it for over a year now, and I've never had a problem. Granted, I don't go huffing in the bag...

This is going to be a project for my 11yo, so if DE is dangerous, we'll definitely avoid it. Thanks for the heads-up.

How often does the coop need to be cleaned if we're not using it?

All of the people on the Backyard Chicken forum told me to use it, I can't imagine they're all sick from it. It's food grade, not the kind for your pool.

It de-mites the chickens and coop, keeps the smell down and also keeps parasites out of the chicken's intestinal system. The farmer whom I buy it from uses it. I've used it for over a year now, and I've never had a problem. Granted, I don't go huffing in the bag...

I'll make no claims to be an authority on DE. But from what I understand this stuff is pretty much akin to being microscopic pieces of ground glass. It kills parasites by cutting up their bodies with sharp edges. And poses a threat to threat to lungs being cut up if breathed.

The food grade type is supposedly safer, but is it "safe"?

I (in my limited understanding) have huge doubts about that. I just hope you are careful and have done some research. The fact that people are using DE doesn't mean it's a "safe" product, as my recent kitchen re-hap project (where I had to deal with both asbestos and lead-paint clearly remined me).

Bill

Edited by Spy Car
bean, mean, what's the diff?

So what would be a good 'old-fashioned' variety? My ds wants to get chicks and let them grow-up with us. I'm fine with waiting a few months for eggs. I've researched buying chicks a little, and it seems like there are many different varieties available for sale within a few hours of us. What would be a good choice for chickens that would be good pets, but also good egg-producers?

I recommend the Rhode Island Reds. They are (to my mind) the epitome of an old fashioned breed. They are a beautiful color, and have that classic "brick shape." They lay brown eggs, are are the best layers of "non-production" breeds (but can be outdone by "production" chickens like Leghorns).

Even with RIRs one needs to be careful, as some lines have been outcrossed with production birds (to maximize laying and stupidity). Stupidity? Yes.

Chickens that are expected to be locked in a tiny cage where they can't even turn around (production birds) for their entire (short) lives, are not valued for "natural traits", in fact they are seen as a huge detriment, and therefore people have tried to breed their instincts out of them. KWIM?

It will probably take a little extra trouble (and some questioning) to get a "classic" (non-production) strain, but to my mind it's well worth the effort.

Again I'll plug for "bantams" over standard chickens for a backyard set up. They are more like yard pets that dealing with livestock. They are easy. Non-destructive, and the eggs are nearly full size.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

We've used DE. I'd be careful about breathing it, but water also renders it ineffective, so I'd be surprised if it could do serious damage to our wet insides.

We've got Araucana/Americaunas, mostly. We like the blue and green eggs. One Barnevelder, who's quiet and has an exceptionally sweet temper. A few Marans and Wyandottes. I really enjoy having chickens, though I bemoan the cost of organic feed, particularly this time of year, when we're getting 1-3 eggs a day from 20 hens. We'll be buried in eggs by March, though. If Bantams would take our feed bill down, that would be worth considering. There's much cheaper feed to be had, but not if I want guaranteed unsprayed fields.

I usually tie a bandana around my nose and mouth while working with the DE. I don't use it often... maybe 4-5 times a year to dust the nesting boxes and roost (and as a base layer under the shavings when I do the spring/fall clean out.) Occasionally I sprinkle a little on the girl's food, too.

I recommend the Rhode Island Reds. They are (to my mind) the epitome of an old fashioned breed. They are a beautiful color, and have that classic "brick shape." They lay brown eggs, are are the best layers of "non-production" breeds (but can be outdone by "production" chickens like Leghorns).

Even with RIRs one needs to be careful, as some lines have been outcrossed with production birds (to maximize laying and stupidity). Stupidity? Yes.

Chickens that are expected to be locked in a tiny cage where they can't even turn around (production birds) for their entire (short) lives, are not valued for "natural traits", in fact they are seen as a huge detriment, and therefore people have tried to breed their instincts out of them. KWIM?

It will probably take a little extra trouble (and some questioning) to get a "classic" (non-production) strain, but to my mind it's well worth the effort.

Again I'll plug for "bantams" over standard chickens for a backyard set up. They are more like yard pets that dealing with livestock. They are easy. Non-destructive, and the eggs are nearly full size.

Bill

Great. I'll look into Rhode Island Red bantams that haven't had their natural instincts bred out of them. Thanks.

I love the sound of this coop. I don't suppose you still have your dh's plans for it or know where he found plans for it?

He looked at other chicken tractors on the web and then put something together from scratch without plans (not something I can do!). I can ask him if he did any rough drawings, and if not, can try to get some photos and send them to you.

Erica in OR

When our dd's began raising chickens, dh just grabbed some old equipment crate from work and brought it home for them to use as a coop. They set it on top of 4 cement blocks, cut a door, and tossed some hay into it. I think they had a ramp, too. Since we didn't know any better, it worked great until it rotted. It was worth the price. ;)

Remember that EVERYthing loves to eat chickens. Dogs (usually kill, not eat), raccoons, foxes, weasels, possums, skunks, hawks, coyotes, and even bears will slash out at a chicken if they're bored or hungry and the chicken presents itself. Snakes will go after the eggs and baby chicks. Crows will eat eggs if given a chance.

As far as pets, our dd's current favorite is a Bantam Antwerp Belgium rooster. He comes to the door every day and we open it and let him walk inside. Dd's give him a snack, hold him, and put him down and he walks out again. He's adorable.

But you might have to schedule time to spend taming a chicken. They're not like dogs. Think more cats. I think dd's went out a few times a day with food and even trained most of the Bantams to hop up on their legs, arms, shoulders, heads, etc. Just put the food where you want them to perch. That way they get used to you.

Also, if you let them roam (we only lock ours up at night), they're more likely to be eaten. They're also more likely to pop up one day with a batch of newly hatched chicks. The down side of that is that you have more roosters than you ever wanted, and every day is an Easter egg hunt. The up side is that those 2nd generation and later chickens are healthier. But you have to catch them to tame them.

Chickens are great for girls. Our boys were never very interested in them, for some reason. Our dd's have always been the ones who did everything for the chickens. Dh nor I have ever done any chicken related stuff. Dd's are scouring the catalogs to order some new ones even now. But I do love to look out my window and see and hear them out in the yard. :)

Have fun with your chickens.

Kathy

Forgot to add: If your dc are small and plan to be around the rooster, be careful. We once had a Barred Rock rooster which spurred youngest dd in the face. The regular size roosters are big and fast. The Bantam rootsers will also jump at dc (not me bc of my dog, a Chihuahua); but they're so small it's more comical when they do. And our youngest is now 16yo.

And dc are laughing at me, since I just realized you're in the UK and I'm talking about bears..... Sorry. :blush:

Edited by ksva

He looked at other chicken tractors on the web and then put something together from scratch without plans (not something I can do!). I can ask him if he did any rough drawings, and if not, can try to get some photos and send them to you.

Erica in OR

I found a picture of what you described on-line. My bil is coming to visit soon, so I'm hoping he and dh can figure it out from the photo. Thanks!

Best wishes with your construction. My husband dug up his self-drawn plans (he used a free CAD program, QCad). I've attached a png file from his plans and a photo of the coop.

His description is:

This is an end view. There are three pairs of 2x4s that you can see

here in cross-section, which connect three of these frames together.

The bottom pair are skids for the whole ark, and extend a couple feet

beyond the rear. The middle pair also serve as handles to pull the ark,

and extend about 3-4 feet past the front. The top pair extend only a

few inches past the front and the rear, to cover the vent spaces at each

end.

The horizontal top is covered with painted plywood. The upper sides are

plywood doors hinged at the top, and latched along the bottom. The

lower sides are covered with chicken wire or hardware cloth. One end is

covered with plywood in two sections. The lower section is hinged at

the bottom corners, so it can fold outward, opening the whole bottom of

the ark. The other end is covered in plywood on top, and with chicken

wire or hardware cloth on the bottom.

Erica in OR

post-852-13535083304793_thumb.jpg

post-852-13535083304891_thumb.jpg

post-852-13535083304793_thumb.jpg

post-852-13535083304891_thumb.jpg

Rhode Island Reds and Leghorns can be peckish and injure eachother if confined. For chickens that won't peck each other to pieces, I've had very good luck with Buff Orpingtons and Auracanas, but my favorites are Light Brahmas. They are so beautiful and docile, with feathered feet, and they lay brown eggs.

Just wanted to make sure you know: uncooked potato peels are about the only thing you can't feed chickens... they don't digest it well. Everything else is fair game though.

You've had great advice so far, I don't have much to add. I have Rhode Island Reds, Barred Rocks and Black Australorps. This spring I'm adding some Ameracaunas, just because I love the blue eggs. :D I've had mine three years and the RIRs are by far the best layers, laying right through the winter when everyone else takes a break! As for coop clean up, my system is very much like Justamouse's, except I clean out the entire thing twice a year, spring and fall. The DE is amazing stuff, and you don't need much. Have fun, chickens are very amusing pets!

You shouldn't feed them potato peels at all. They contain solanine, also known as poison.

I have kept chickens for the last 5 years and LOVE it. I started with 26 (yeah, I know a little much) but that was the minimum order from the hatchery. You should be able to go to your local co-op of farmer's feed service and order 4 or 5 chicks this spring. In my area if you buy 3 or more chicks you get a free bag of starter/grower feed that pretty much equals the cost of 3 chicks.

I ordered Barred and White Pymouth Rocks. They started laying around 20 weeks and layed until they died. One is still living and she layed until she started her molt this winter and I expect her to begin laying again in the spring. These are the white and black and white chickens that you see in farm pictures a lot.

I keep them in a shed type building and then have chain link doggy yards (we put 2 of them together for a total of 6 panels) attached to the house. We move it every week or two as the chickens stratch up the grass and dirt. We rotate the sites to let the grass recover. I do this because I also don't want poop on my porch. I also cover the top because yes, chickens can fly, and will. Their natural instincts tell them to get as high as they can to perch at night and once they figure out how to fly to the top of the fence they will fly over during the day unless you clip or pinion thier wings. I just didn't want to do that to the chickens. I used to let them run around free when I was down to 4 chickens, but when I was down to only 1 chicken I ordered 25 more. This time I got roosters because I want some fertile eggs. I got a lot of requests from people who wanted to incubate them and we live in the middle of nowhere, so why not right?

They mostly eat a prepared feed that I buy from our co-op and whatever kitchen scraps I give them plus the grass and bugs that wander in thier yard.

Remember not to give uncooked potato skins. It can be toxic to chickens. I just don't give them any potato peels at all.

Some people feed back the egg shells that have been cleaned and some even feed excess eggs, but I just don't. I feel it encourages cannibalism and I want all my eggs.

You can figure on 2 eggs every 3 days per chicken. The hybird factory birds will lay more, but for less time. Chickens also molt every year. This means they lose all thier feathers, either all at once or in stages, and regrow them. While they are doing this they do not lay. All thier energy goes into making feathers. When the molt is through the eggs are usually a little larger. You can tell how much longer the molt will last by looking at the wing feathers. They lose and replace these in sequence and in tandem to the other parts of thier body. When all of the wing feathers have been replaced, voila, molt over. You can also tell how close they are to coming into molt by the blanching of the comb, beak, and feet. The color of these areas will lighten in sequence beginning with the head and ending with the feet as they lay thier eggs. The color goes into the yolk. When they are not laying the color returns in reverse order.

Good luck with your chickens.

I've been looking for Buff Orpingtons and RIR, but danged if I can find a hatchery in Canada that has them, and can ship chicks overnight to where I *think* we'll end up! The one hatchery in my city only has the Leghorns, and I do NOT want them...apparently, they're great layers, but unfriendly and really flighty to the point where they'll literally bounce off the walls of the coop. Thanks, but no thanks, lol!

You can feed the eggshells to the chickens if you crush them first. Our dd's do this. Make sure there's no way the chicken can recognize it as an egg. If they do, that's when they develop the nasty habit of "egg-mongering", as our dd's call it, where they actually crack the eggs open in the nesting boxes and eat them. And dd's haven't found a way to 'cure' a chicken of this habit once it's started; so they have to get rid of that particular chicken lest it teach all the others the same thing.

Dd's will also scramble some eggs in the microwave and feed them to a sick or baby chicken. They say it's good for them.

Edited by ksva

Wow. Thanks for all the info. This is really helpful. :001_smile:

I have kept chickens for the last 5 years and LOVE it. I started with 26 (yeah, I know a little much) but that was the minimum order from the hatchery. You should be able to go to your local co-op of farmer's feed service and order 4 or 5 chicks this spring. In my area if you buy 3 or more chicks you get a free bag of starter/grower feed that pretty much equals the cost of 3 chicks.

I ordered Barred and White Pymouth Rocks. They started laying around 20 weeks and layed until they died. One is still living and she layed until she started her molt this winter and I expect her to begin laying again in the spring. These are the white and black and white chickens that you see in farm pictures a lot.

I keep them in a shed type building and then have chain link doggy yards (we put 2 of them together for a total of 6 panels) attached to the house. We move it every week or two as the chickens stratch up the grass and dirt. We rotate the sites to let the grass recover. I do this because I also don't want poop on my porch. I also cover the top because yes, chickens can fly, and will. Their natural instincts tell them to get as high as they can to perch at night and once they figure out how to fly to the top of the fence they will fly over during the day unless you clip or pinion thier wings. I just didn't want to do that to the chickens. I used to let them run around free when I was down to 4 chickens, but when I was down to only 1 chicken I ordered 25 more. This time I got roosters because I want some fertile eggs. I got a lot of requests from people who wanted to incubate them and we live in the middle of nowhere, so why not right?

They mostly eat a prepared feed that I buy from our co-op and whatever kitchen scraps I give them plus the grass and bugs that wander in thier yard.

Remember not to give uncooked potato skins. It can be toxic to chickens. I just don't give them any potato peels at all.

Some people feed back the egg shells that have been cleaned and some even feed excess eggs, but I just don't. I feel it encourages cannibalism and I want all my eggs.

You can figure on 2 eggs every 3 days per chicken. The hybird factory birds will lay more, but for less time. Chickens also molt every year. This means they lose all thier feathers, either all at once or in stages, and regrow them. While they are doing this they do not lay. All thier energy goes into making feathers. When the molt is through the eggs are usually a little larger. You can tell how much longer the molt will last by looking at the wing feathers. They lose and replace these in sequence and in tandem to the other parts of thier body. When all of the wing feathers have been replaced, voila, molt over. You can also tell how close they are to coming into molt by the blanching of the comb, beak, and feet. The color of these areas will lighten in sequence beginning with the head and ending with the feet as they lay thier eggs. The color goes into the yolk. When they are not laying the color returns in reverse order.

Good luck with your chickens.