Menu

Is nothing safe anymore???

I just switched dd's to Johnson and JOhnson Baby moisturebath, b/c her eczema is sooo bad.

Just found out today it has Formeldahyde(sp). Great, she has been washing her hands for wks. now.

Now I have to go out and get Cal. Baby.

Go to safecosmetics.org to get list of safe companies.

I just switched dd's to Johnson and JOhnson Baby moisturebath, b/c her eczema is sooo bad.

Just found out today it has Formeldahyde(sp). Great, she has been washing her hands for wks. now.

:grouphug: I know the feeling! The minute you find some snack you like you find out it has something in it that isn't good for you. It takes a lot of research, however I find it's worth it in the long run.

Take comfort in the fact that you are protecting your children and yourself. When my ds was little I never thought about anything "organic". I did all my shopping at the grocery store that had the lowest prices with no regard to the origins of the food.

Hope you find something that will alleviate the eczema.

Man! Why do they do that?? That's toxic at some level, isn't it? What does it do for the product?

Thanks for the safe company info.

Chelle

Yeah, J&J has lots of chemicals. My baby products are a lot more expensive now that I'm educated, lol. I actually read somewhere that the "tear-free" shampoo isn't so gentle it doesn't bother the eyes--it has another chemical that basically numbs the eye or the tear ducts instead. :glare:

Ack! Good to know! :001_huh:

J&J Baby Shampoo has an acid in it (forget what it's called) that is used to clean grease off of garage floors. They also add in another chemical to numb the eyes when it gets in. That's why it's "no more tears" and doesn't sting. But it's still dangerous. How do I know? Research, and talking to my pharmacist. A few months back my dd got shampoo in her eye and it hurt SO bad (no, it wasn't baby shampoo) that she rubbed it and scratched the cornea. The more I read about the chemical, I was SO SHOCKED. Just about every shampoo for KIDS AND BABIES I have read the labels on has it.

J&J Baby Shampoo has an acid in it (forget what it's called) that is used to clean grease off of garage floors. They also add in another chemical to numb the eyes when it gets in. That's why it's "no more tears" and doesn't sting. But it's still dangerous. How do I know? Research, and talking to my pharmacist. A few months back my dd got shampoo in her eye and it hurt SO bad (no, it wasn't baby shampoo) that she rubbed it and scratched the cornea. The more I read about the chemical, I was SO SHOCKED. Just about every shampoo for KIDS AND BABIES I have read the labels on has it.

Can you tell us what that chemical is?

I remember posting about my issue here. Let me go see if I can dig it up. I just looked up the J&J ingredients and none are ringing a bell, but I don't have a great memory. :blushing: I do remember that baby shampoos have "this ingredient" in it and the numbing chemicals are added to nullify the effects.

sodium laurel sulphate. J&J doesn't have that particular ingredient, but if you look up the others, I'm wondering if they're just as dangerous.

I was shocked when I read the above ingredient was in many baby shampoos with a numbing chemical added. I shopped for shampoos exclusively for kids, and every single one of them (and all the adult shampoos we buy) had this ingredient!

I want to switch to a natural shampoo but haven't yet. BUT, when I wash youngest dd's hair, I'm extra, extra careful now!

I'm sorry I spoke prematurely. I remembered it being used in baby shampoo, but I shouldn't have claimed J&J used it. However, their chemicals just sound scary. Does that count? :rolleyes:

Have you tried Dr. Bronners?

I put it in the foaming dispensers....it's concentrated so a $10 bottle will last forever. Dove for sensitive skin is good too...the fragrance free bath wash or bars.

My ds and dh both have BAD eczema...mild soaps and slathering in oil, cover that with a cream and avoid perfumed anything.

She might be thinking of Sodium Laurel Sulfate. It is in almost all soaps/shampoos/laundry det/dish soap etc. Nasty stuff.

You have to read labels. It is as important with the things that we use in our home, on our bodies as the food we eat.

The no tear shampoos used to have novocain in them.

Now they use PEG- 80 Sorbitan Laurate (which I think is the commonly used ingredient mentioned above)

There isn't any soap in Johnsons and Johnsons, I don't use it. I have never really used it and have not had a problem with soap in the kid's eyes. I am just careful when rinsing their hair.

Edited by Sis

Burt's Bees makes wonderful natural bath and body products, and they have a special kids line called Baby Bee. Their Coconut Foot Cream is a clear salve like Aquaphor, but uses all natural products instead of gasoline byproducts like Aquaphor does! (Ignore the "Foot" part of the name ~ it will heal cracked & bleeding heels in a few days, but it's equally good for eczema.) All their moisturizing creams and lotions are wonderful.

http://www.burtsbees.com/natural-products/baby-mom/

Jackie

Here's an article going into more depth. The first thing they should have done is have a second lab verify the results. Since they didn't do that, it's hard to know if any of this is accurate.

If it is, those seem like fairly high levels of formaldehyde, and I wouldn't want to use it on my kid.

Man! Why do they do that?? That's toxic at some level, isn't it? What does it do for the product?

They don't add it to the product; it's a byproduct created during production. They could reformulate to decrease the amount, but I don't know that they can ever get rid of all of it.

I actually read somewhere that the "tear-free" shampoo isn't so gentle it doesn't bother the eyes--it has another chemical that basically numbs the eye or the tear ducts instead. :glare:

They also add in another chemical to numb the eyes when it gets in.

The no tear shampoos used to have novocain in them.

As far as I can tell this is an urban legend. I looked at the ingredient list, and don't see anything "numbing" in there.

There are several reasons that it wouldn't make sense to add novacaine or another numbing medicine. The main one is cost. If they added enough novacaine to numb the eyes, a bottle of shampoo would cost a fortune.

I don't know who wrote this at Google answers, but it all looks reasonable to me and makes a lot more sense than "numbing" agents.

Another one here.

:grouphug: I know the feeling! The minute you find some snack you like you find out it has something in it that isn't good for you. It takes a lot of research, however I find it's worth it in the long run.

Take comfort in the fact that you are protecting your children and yourself. When my ds was little I never thought about anything "organic". I did all my shopping at the grocery store that had the lowest prices with no regard to the origins of the food.

Hope you find something that will alleviate the eczema.

Liz,

the thing that worked was the Johnson moisture care. I was using Rainbow Research hand soap prior which is all natural and this was burning her hands to the point of bleeding.

I dont know. I just know dh came back from target w/Cal baby. 39.00 later. Why is good stuff expensive. I normally buy organic, but w/finances decided to go cheap. But, toxins in my kids is not worth saving money.

J&J Baby Shampoo has an acid in it (forget what it's called) that is used to clean grease off of garage floors.
Yes, citric acid is used in cleaners, as is baking soda. Citric acid is also added to soft drinks, ice cream, food colouring, and occasionally home brewed beer. It's probably added to the shampoo for the same reason people rinse with vinegar: a mildly acidic rinse makes hair shiny.

Edited to add: There are plenty of reasons not to use J&J and similar products, but citric acid isn't one.

Ugh, it's annoying isnt it? The more I am "in the know" about these kind of things, the more it makes me anxious and wish that I wasn't "in the know" anymore LOL. Seems like there are harmful chemicals in everything! I found out a few weeks ago that most clothing that is shipped from overseas (which is majority of clothing) has formaldehye on it to protect while shipping. Yikes!!

I buy all of my health and beauty items (for us and the kids) from Vitacost.com...they have a great selection of natural and organic items...at great prices!!

Kathy

Thank you so much for recommending this place!!!! I've been wanting to switch my family's shampoo, soap, and toothpaste to natural ones, but every time I look at the prices in the health food stores, I just cringe and never purchase them. This place has awesome prices!!! I just purchased toothpaste for the kids, shampoo for me, conditioner for me, 3 bars of soap, and a shampoo for the kids for under $30.....and shipping is a flat $4.99!! Yay!!! Thanks again!!