Menu

Have a good pine nut recipe to share?

My sil from out of state was here over Thanksgiving. She made delicious green beans with pine nuts. She was staying with my mil, and when I commented how good the beans were, she insisted I take home the rest of the package of pine nuts that she bought at Whole Foods, since my in-laws wouldn't eat them.

I'm embarrased to say, but I've never actually cooked with pine nuts before. :tongue_smilie:

I know you can make pesto with them. Again, I'll admit that not only have I never MADE pesto, I don't believe I've ever eaten it, either. I've *seen it made before on Food Network, back when we had cable. It looks good, and I'd like to try it. Anyone have a favorite recipe? Or ANY recipies that use pine nuts? Other than pesto and the recipie for the green beans my sil made, I'd like other ways to use up the rather large package of pine nuts in my kitchen, that are taunting me. 'You know you want to cook with me, but you don't know how. Ha Ha!'. That's what they're saying. Well, at least in my head... :001_huh: :D

TIA!

I use them on one of my favorite homemade pizzas.

Spread a little olive oil on pizza shell.

Sprinkle some mozzarella cheese.

Top with sun-dried tomatoes and goat cheese crumbles.

Drop on some pine nuts.

Bake.

Think we might have to make this for supper tonight...

I just had pine nuts for the first time the other day. They were in a salad a friend bought at a deli. It was delicious, but we could only guess at the ingredients. Here's what we came up with:

bowtie pasta, cooked and drained......12 oz.

lots of fresh baby spinach, chopped...3 cups

caesar dressing..............................enough to coat

pine nuts.......................................2 oz.

I tried to replicate it at home, and used the above amounts. It turned out really good! (But if anyone has the real recipe, I will take it. I think it may have also had parmesan cheese.)

Now I wish I had a good source for pine nuts. I paid $3 for 2oz. and it was the only size bag they had.

Pesto! Yum!

I don't use a recipe to make pesto, I just use basil, garlic, pine nuts, good Parmesan, olive oil, salt, pepper and stick it in the food processor. :lol:

I also like a pasta with pine nuts, spinach, sun dried tomatoes, bell peppers, basil, a little olive oil, and parmesan

Edited by Sis
I forgot to list salt and pepper in the pesto omg

Here's my FAVORITE:

Chicken salad with pine nuts

Cooked Chicken Breast cut into little tiny pieces (but do not grind fine)

1/4c pine nuts, chopped into little pieces

few drops of sesame oil

couple tablespoons of mayo. No, I don't measure this I just add enough so that it has the chicken salad consistancy that I like.

Pesto recipe

I just made pesto fettuccine with grilled chicken a couple nights ago. Just make the pasta and toss with as much pesto as you wish. It was yummy; and you can freeze pesto for later. It's good as a sauce on pizza too.

You can sub walnut for the pine nuts, too. Adds healthy omegas and is cheaper. If dairy is an issue (I can't have it at all), just omit the cheese.