Menu

Another S/O Redshirting: Are any of you planning on putting your DC in PS 4 sports?

I am curious with all of the redshirting talk, if anyone else was leaving the option open as far as putting the kids into public/private school (specifically high school) simply for opportunities such as sports (band, drama, etc, too - but sports seem to be the area most affected). And if you are, what are you going to do about grade placement? Redshirt or not? Like I said in the redshirting thread, it drives me nuts when people keep their kids back simply for sports reasons (not talking about maturity/academic reasons at all here;)). I feel like it is skewing the playing field, and "normally developing" kids are going to be left behind. So, what do we do when our kids are passionate about a sport that really only is taking place within the walls of the PS?

My kids are flying through academically but on normal pace physically - which means that my boys (like their father) are scrawny and probably won't fill out until 18 or 19. But, I wonder if we would be doing them a disservice by holding them back/giving them an 8th grade gap year or just let them keep going and fight it out with the more developed boys and hope that recruiters and coaches see what is going on?

Or, maybe I am just needlessly worrying and my kids won't even want to go that far in sports:confused:. Probably, but what are you guys with good athletes doing or planning to do? Thanks!

We have athletic boys. The oldest is small and an April birthday but an exceptional athlete. He is allowed to play middle school baseball for the public school. He is "fighting it out" against older/ redshirted kids and he will be fine because he has such an advantage athletically.

My second ds is a May birthday, tall and scrawny. He is a good to average athlete. He really likes sports, though, and that is what he wants to participate in.

While the older one is the one with the chance (even if small) of a college opportunity, it is the second boy I am worried about and considering redshirting at the time he enters public school. If ds is good enough to continue to play post high school I don't think that year is going to be a deal breaker. At that elite level either you have it or you don't, I think.

It is the second boy I am worried about. Being just average to good he is not so dominant athletically that he can hang with kids so much older. Actually, he hangs with them okay, but it is an uphill battle. I get tired of it being just so hard all the time and him being at such a disadvantage. I'm worried for him that the extra year physically he is behind everyone will be too much to overcome whereas if he were redshirted he would do well. there are confidence issues, here, coming after the more gifted athlete and trying to play the same sport.

I would not even consider redshirting the older one at this point and am glad I didn't consider when he was younger. The plan with the second boy is to give him the choice when the time comes whether he wants to continue to have to battle against the older kids or whether he wants to hold back the extra year. If he is fine academically and mature enough I would not choose to hold him back just for sports. I THINK I will give him that option at the time. I don't want him to feel like we think he failed or that we don't think he can compete. I think that being held back against his will at that point would be more damaging to his confidence. I think he would choose not to redshirt.

I reserve the right to change my mind about this. I already have many times :)

For me it is not about a college scholarship. Those are few and far between and a bonus for us not really a goal. It is more about the dc having the ability to participate in what they enjoy and the personal development that comes from that. I can't really see my kids being happy in the band. They want to be on the field and that is part of their personality and identity. So, I wouldn't hold back in hopes of a college scholarship but so that they can participate in an activity that is important to them through those teen years.

The other option we are considering is for them not to attend school at all and just pursue their sports through the travel team system. From what I understand they are more likely to be noticed for college at that level because it is more competitive than our high school team is. In baseball there is also alot of marketing yourself by going to camps/ showcase teams etc. We may bypass the school system all together and go that route if it seems like a possibility at the time.

Sorry this is so long. This is a big issue in my house.

Marie

No! My child that was "redshirted" is opposed to exercise!:)

Actually, he enjoys tennis lessons, but it wouldn't matter in that sport. You don't play against your age group. It would depend on a ranking. He isn't really interested, anyway!

My athletic child would get an extra year because of the state's cut-off. He misses it by three days. The way sports are organized locally, it just won't be that helpful to him. Middle school athletics aren't through the school, except for football. He would play rec league or travel teams until 9th grade and both determine eligibility by the date on his birth certificate.

For me it is not about a college scholarship. Those are few and far between and a bonus for us not really a goal. It is more about the dc having the ability to participate in what they enjoy and the personal development that comes from that. I can't really see my kids being happy in the band. They want to be on the field and that is part of their personality and identity. So, I wouldn't hold back in hopes of a college scholarship but so that they can participate in an activity that is important to them through those teen years.

The other option we are considering is for them not to attend school at all and just pursue their sports through the travel team system. From what I understand they are more likely to be noticed for college at that level because it is more competitive than our high school team is. In baseball there is also alot of marketing yourself by going to camps/ showcase teams etc. We may bypass the school system all together and go that route if it seems like a possibility at the time.

Sorry this is so long. This is a big issue in my house.

Marie

I agree that the scholarship thing isn't what I am terribly worried about, it is more about opening doors of opportunity.

Plus, the travel team option is a great option. I went through club soccer and volleyball growing up, and really that was the only place recruiters were scouting-at least in my area. We didn't even bother playing high school soccer. I almost wish all sports would go solely toward that system (except that some people simply can't afford it, and a lot of kids just want to play for fun regardless of level), but then homeschoolers wouldn't have to worry about this situation at all. But, we are a wrestling family, and where we have lived, club/travel stops at middle school.

Dh and I talked about the redshirting idea this morning. He is feeling like the we might just be causing more issues keeping them back than by letting them fight it out on their own. We'll see...I think I just need to chill out and keep my options open.;)

It's not an option here for us to do that, but even if it was, I probably wouldn't bother. The hassle of dealing with the public schools is something I'm happy to be out of! Plus, neither of my kids wants to set a foot in a public school again, so I doubt they would even ask for it.

Both my kids played club soccer, and, to us, that is way more fun & challenging than school soccer. Of course, they were early middle school age, so I'm sure that changes with high school soccer.

As a side note, we constantly had people tell us that their child was scouted at club games (including both sons of the club's founder, and they also both played for their high school), rather than high school games, and it wasn't uncommon to find a few parents at tournament games video taping the game/their child's playing to mail to recruiters.

The true meaning of the term red-shirting is part of the answer for kids who are age level in school/competing against larger older kids. In college level sports, athletes can only compete for 4 years. To be red-shirted is a term used in college-level-sports to allow a person the chance to be on a team, but to not compete for a year, thus creating the 5th year sr. It is often used to get a commitment from a player and the player to attend college, but to wait a year to play in sanctioned games while still practicing with the team. These red shirted people, are the kids who sometimes need a year to physically develop before competing.

If an athlete is truly talented, a scout will recognize that and make it work.

I've only been agonizing over this since Fall, since that was our first season of sports. My oldest two boys were both the best on their teams and are now the best two first-year wrestlers. They love sports and I feel even more, I don't know, obsessed since this is their only outlet because we homeschool. Community options end here at 14yo. They would be miserable if I didn't find them something.

The other option we are considering is for them not to attend school at all and just pursue their sports through the travel team system. From what I understand they are more likely to be noticed for college at that level because it is more competitive than our high school team is. In baseball there is also alot of marketing yourself by going to camps/ showcase teams etc.
That's a great idea. If my boys are interested in trying to making sports their future, it's good to know there are better options for being scouted. How early is good to get them onto traveling teams? My soccer playing son was invited to the team an hour away but he just turned 7, that's a huge commitment.

I wonder how this works for Wrestling, though since it's individual. Our club ends when they get to high school level. It's assumed they will join the ps HS team at that point. The local MMA club offers HS wrestling, but I thought that was for extra work but the kids were still on their own HS teams. We're lucky to have a homeschool football league here, but it's more expensive than the community football, which ends at 14yo. They'll be doing HS tackle after 14yo. They're doing flag through them in Spring.

He's starting to show interest in a service academy, so a varsity sport is a must.
Do they need a varsity sport from a PS or just that level from a club for a service academy?

That's a great idea. If my boys are interested in trying to making sports their future, it's good to know there are better options for being scouted. How early is good to get them onto traveling teams? My soccer playing son was invited to the team an hour away but he just turned 7, that's a huge commitment.

I wonder how this works for Wrestling, though since it's individual. Our club ends when they get to high school level. It's assumed they will join the ps HS team at that point. The local MMA club offers HS wrestling, but I thought that was for extra work but the kids were still on their own HS teams. We're lucky to have a homeschool football league here, but it's more expensive than the community football, which ends at 14yo. They'll be doing HS tackle after 14yo. They're doing flag through them in Spring.

Do they need a varsity sport from a PS or just that level from a club for a service academy?

From my experience as a player on very competitive club/travel teams, I would say that it was wonderful, but extremely time-consuming and expensive. I am not sure what things are like these days, but we traveled out of state 4-8 times a year - all year round - almost every holiday and weekend plus practices during the week. I know that some travel teams now, are more of a "local" type of team...I would make sure before you commit. Plus 7 is still young. We didn't start up that kinds of schedule until the middle school/HS ages.

As far as wrestling goes, the local club systems are great. The issue is mainly the HS years. Since Dh is a wrestling coach, we have even thrown around the idea of just entering into Open Tournaments and see how far we can go with that. But, really, nothing beats working out and practicing in the wrestling room with the team...

Margaret, you make a good point about everything backfiring. I am not going to stress about the redshirting issue...everything will work out like it is supposed to, I guess. And we will just make the PS decision when it comes time!

Travel teams are time-consuming, esp for young children who are not sure what they really want to do, athletically. My youngest is a good soccer player but we said no to the travel team because there were out of town games every single weekend, sometimes both Sat & Sun, plus multiple practices a week.

Of course, now we have ballet and that's 2 , soon to be 3, 90 minute classes twice a week, but at least it's in town. :)

My ds is an older 8th grader according to the public school cut-off (late November birthday with cut-off beginning of October). Academically, since I homeschooled him from K, I could have easily put him into 9th grade without the public school even questioning it as it is, he tested into all gifted classes and out-tested his ps peers. He is small for his age, however, and would not have been big enough to wrestle this year in high school (must be at least 95lb here to wrestle 103lb-lightest weight class). So, I put him into 8th grade where he would have been had he been in school all along. Academically, since he was accelerated at home, he is repeating a lot of material but we are just dealing with that.

Since we homeschooled, I also could have started him back another year (as a 7th grader) but that wasn't even an option I considered. Like someone else said, anything can happen...he could be injured and not able to wrestle any more or a million other scenarios could play out. I can't see completely messing up his academic learning for the sake of the sport. I really don't know if he will even be scholarship material anyway. There are a lot of really good wrestlers out there. He has excellent coaching, good technique, and it could be a possibility. It depends on how hard he is willing to work the next few years but that is up to him.