Menu

Bright kid, confused mom....curriculum junkie issues. Please advise!

lovetobehome

Talk me down, ladies...

As some of you know, I have struggled to stick with a curriculum. I have tried many, many things. Last year, I started HOD Bigger and then after about 11 weeks switched to Preparing. Then I ditched that, and moved on to doing my own thing...we just did MOH for history and something else for science. I seem to vacillate between a 'boxed' curriculum, and then choosing my own books for each subject. I do a few months of one, then want the other.

So, here I am again.

This fall we started Bigger, and we are finishng week 13 now. I commited to using Bigger for the fall semester at least, which I did. I thought I would continue it into the spring, but am not sure now. I am not sure what to do.

My son is begging for more...more depth in history and in science. So today I picked up another history text (SOTW 3) and read a chapter that corresponded with what was in Bigger. My son was BEGGING me to read more, and asked if we could keep using that book instead. There was just a ton more info, more detail, and he eats it up.

I should say that my almost 10yo son is also doing the extensions for Bigger. I am also doing Write with the Best with him. My 7yo daughter is doing Bigger as written.

But my son craves MORE, and I want to feed that. He is a sponge, he really gets into it, he is extremely bright.

So...what do I do?

I can't just add in that other book, because it wouldn't match up well with Bigger, and coordinating readings never works well for me.

I am wondering if I should move him up to Preparing, or even CTC (I already own both). But I don't think Preparing has a lot more history detail either. I know CTC does. Or, part of me even considers just doing MOH or SOTW and setting HOD aside. GASP! There, I said it.

I love many things about HOD...primarily the spiritual aspect. The way it all ties together. And the fact that there is so much wrapped into it that would not get done if I just used a non-boxed curriculum...the poetry study, art, projects, research assignments....

But, I can't get past the feeling that he could be soaking up a lot more in the history and science areas. I don't think this is typical, I think HOD is solid academically. But this is a kid who scored upper 90th percentile in all subject areas on standardized tests. He is definitely brighter than I ever was. What would you do?

Edited by lovetobehome

I don't know if I really have anything to offer but what I will say is if your son is eating something up fuel it. Keep going with other the other things but feed the want on the side.

For instance we use Sonlight, and my daughter (now 12) LOVES history, she blew through SOTW 1 and 2 (more than once). She won't let me sell those books because she reads them all the time. So I just let her go...let her read what she wanted at her own pace.

She is the same way with Science. I let her go...she likes them so much she is always ahead and it isn't just going on to something new, she will re-read her books.

Perhaps if you let him just read it himself he will do the same thing. Will read and re-read.

Now we kept the "pace" with other things like English and Math (Math is definitely a four letter word for her). I don't worry about "structure" so much as content. And she has done me proud, she will pop off with a fact of this or that at the oddest times and I think...WOW She is learning!

Hope this helps at least a little!

Rachel

I can't just add in that other book, because it wouldn't match up well with Bigger, and coordinating readings never works well for me.

What would you do?

Why not?

Coordinating readings isn't important and I wouldn't stress out about it one little bit.

Personally I would continue doing what you are already doing and add in SOTW a couple times a week as he wants. Then raid your library and add in extra science books or just plain ol' good literature the other couple of days as he wants.

This will give you plenty of time to figure out what adjustments you want to make for next year.

Why not?

Coordinating readings isn't important and I wouldn't stress out about it one little bit.

Personally I would continue doing what you are already doing and add in SOTW a couple times a week as he wants. Then raid your library and add in extra science books or just plain ol' good literature the other couple of days as he wants.

This will give you plenty of time to figure out what adjustments you want to make for next year.

:iagree: This is exactly what I was thinking. :)

Nothing wrong with having two history "threads" going at once. You could keep HOD for the structure it gives you and the way it weaves spiritual issues throughout the day, but add in SOTW to give a more global perspective. I wouldn't worry one bit about matching it up per se. If you get to a point where it starts to seem like too much, then just back off the SOTW for a bit.

Always more than one way to skin a cat. For me, its usually a matter of choosing what to put in the driver seat - then add whatever else you like to it. Whatever drives has to be something *I* like and something that will get done. It's easy to add to it or take away depending on what we need.

We use MFW but I think the issue is the same. I have a very bright 11 yr old and I just add tons of library books (most from MFW's library list) and scour Sonlight for books that are in the same time frame we are learning about and allow my kids to read them at quiet reading time. This gives me time to do what I need to while allowing my kids to go as deep as they want.

I am not sure where you are in Bigger, but have you looked at adding in something like George Washington's World or Abraham Lincoln's World? Those would sort of tie in, but they would widen and deepen the scope for him and wouldn't have to be exactly on the same timeframe for you.

I would keep doing HOD and add reading SOTW but not worry about matching the readings. I find when we read the 2 different Eggleston books in Bigger it gets redundant even though First Book in American History is more detailed. I prefer to do the extensions (we use them as read alouds) at a later time. It helps us remember the events and people and it is not 3 different stories of the same events. SOTW could do the same by reinforcing the material already covered or introducing it HOD depending on when the topics come up.

We are in week 13 and decided to add the Apologia books (Exploring Creation with... by Jeannie Fulbright). We are working on birds since that is the topic in HOD. I usually combine a few days of HOD into one and add the Apologia Zoo 1 a few days per week.

For history I think we will just read and skip the activites in the guide and use some other activity resource books. The written activites in HOD seem to be ruining history for us. None of us like A First Book in Amer. Hx so I am debating on using something else. I like alot of what HOD offers yet it seems I am using less and less of it. It helps to guide me on topics and we build from there. Use what he enjoys and add/remove from the program as you see fit.

Gina

Oh wow! I am surprised and encouraged by your responses! THANKS! I was expecting very different responses. But this is very helpful. I think I was overlooking the obvious. I have GW's World, and didn't even think about using it. I just pulled it off the shelf.

My son is reading the Extension books on his own. I sort of wonder if part of my problem is that *I* am not reading them, so I don't 'see' how much he is actually getting. I should spend some time looking at those books and maybe that will help. I thought I might be able to assign SOTW audio selections for him, too, and he could do that independently if need be.

The APologia science suggestion is helpful too--I have that book on the shelf as well.

I feel encouraged! Maybe I can make this work and stick with something for a year! LOL.

I am also trying to get workboxes going, and the history/poetry/Bible/science/art don't really fit into independent work, especially since my 7yo joins in for those. But I need to get the workboxes filled with all the independent stuff (math, english, writing, extension readings, and maybe some added GW's World or something else). Future years on HOD seem much more independent...especially Creation to Christ...we are likely to start him on that next year (5th grade) so he can have 2 full four-year cycles. But I guess that is a worry for NEXT year, I need to get through this one successfully first!

I think the main rub is that I decided to combine 7yo and almost 10yo in the same thing. I knew Bigger was quite light for my son, but challenging for my daughter. It seemed best to combine them even though it would be a bit hard for one and easy for the other; rather than doing 2 programs. So, I should look at this and remember the benefits of the compromise!

I don't know how many kids you have, but it doesn't sound like combining your 7 yo and 10 yo is working out well for the 10 yo. You need to beef it up considerably. Usually when you combine you do things the other way, teaching to the older and letting the younger tag along or drop out when it's too much. I can't imagine taking my 10 yo (who sounds like yours) and keeping her down with a 7yo. That just wouldn't work. The 10 yo has more knowledge base, is asking questions, can write more, can outline, is starting to see connections... You can take the TOPICS from what you're doing and just beef it up. I'm not sure exactly what you're studying in your history, but even some simple things might work like a presidents workbook. He could have an extra book pile and be assigned to write two paragraphs weekly from topics he reads about. He can have a more challenging spine to read and outline it. Those are things I have my dd doing, and they could easily add onto the framework of what you already have.

I think the main rub is that I decided to combine 7yo and almost 10yo in the same thing. I knew Bigger was quite light for my son, but challenging for my daughter. It seemed best to combine them even though it would be a bit hard for one and easy for the other; rather than doing 2 programs. So, I should look at this and remember the benefits of the compromise!

My two are 3 1/2 years apart. This has been a good decision for us - a bit more time consuming, but they have each been able to flourish at their own level.

Laura

I have to be careful not to add too much work for me. I would had your son the SOTW audio book and have him listen to it on his own time or while everyone is eating lunch. Make available Usborne encylopedias and oddles of books for him to read which may or may not coorespond to what you are studying. Get a couple of science experiment kits to have him do for fun. Have craft supplies available for spontaneous projects. Teach him how to research his passion of the moment on the Internet.

I brought this up to my husband last night, and he said just about what OhElizabeth said...that our son is really capable of a whole lot more, and I have no business dumbing down his work for the ease of combining.

This year I decided to combine them closer to my 7yo's level because up until now, I have ALWAYS taught to the older, and I realized while my daughter listened and sat with us, she retained NOTHING. I felt like this was a year to put some focus on her. I was hoping that my son doing the extension readings (mainly, CLP's history book and Tiner's Planet Earth) would be enough. But I am not having him do writing on the topics, and I am feeling icky about that. I haven't taught him outlining yet. When we were doing MOH, I had him write a paragraph every day on the history lesson, on an index card, and he illustrated the front. He got really good at writing summaries that way, but eventually he dreaded it. A couple times I have tried to have him summarize our HOD readings, but frankly there just isnt a lot in the history or science to write about. I have him narrate whataever book we are working on, and I type up his narrations. RIght now we are reading a biography about Audubon. I thought about having him do a written summary about the 'extension' books he is reading, but since I don't read those with him (independent), I don't know how well he is covering it.

I need to ponder this today. Feeling like I need to somehow either significantly ramp this up, or move him into something else.

Frankly, his passion this year has become Legos...and I wonder if maybe part of that is because I am not stimulating him enough with school?

Look, don't make this hard. You can take his book pile reading and have him select two concrete topics that he writes good paragraphs about weekly. But you'll have to help him narrow it down, select the topic, and figure out what his sources are. Don't just hand him a 3" book on a ton of topics and expect a good paragraph, kwim? And a paragraph is different from a narration. You're taking a step up. It should at least have a topic sentence and some thoughts that flow in logical order.

Yes, one day a week he should outline SOMETHING. Whatever history spine he's using will do just fine. If it's too long to outline the whole chapter, just pick one portion, a section of like 5 paragraphs. That will be more than enough for this age.

He didn't like his MOH summaries? You could have switched him to outlining. But I wouldn't get so caught up in what he likes or dislikes. Pick something reasonable, something that builds a skill he needs, and do it. He's not going to like or want to do everything he needs to do from this point on. That's why he has you, to tell him to do the things he needs to do, even when he'd rather be playing legos. ;)

Have you looked into the lego robotics competitions and leagues? Around here it's very popular. People rave about the experience.

BTW, I thinking you're making it too hard on yourself saying your 7 yo retained nothing. She got higher vocabulary and thought processes following along with the 10 yo than she would have being taught at her own level. Most kids forget stuff. You obviously haven't seen one of the "I did 4 years of SOTW, worked my butt off, and my kid remembers NOTHING" threads... Sure some kids remember stuff, but they forget a lot, interpose and muddle and confuse things. That's why we repeat ourselves so much. :)

If you want to combine them, you need to take one set of materials and use them two different ways. What doesn't work is one way of using the materials, one set of assignments, not with kids that far apart. They have totally different needs for writing and output. So take the spine you've been using, but use it a new way with your ds.

Frankly, his passion this year has become Legos...and I wonder if maybe part of that is because I am not stimulating him enough with school?

But, having known quite a few 10yo boys, they are very likely to become passionate about legos no matter what else you do. I would add more challenging books for your son to just read and talk about with you - or to just read and enjoy which are based in the same topics.

And this is a great time to add a more mechanical type science or to extend that legos passion to robotics with one of the lego robotics kits. It will speak to something your son is passionate about which is a great way to leverage a child's interest.

But I am not having him do writing on the topics, and I am feeling icky about that.

I thought about having him do a written summary about the 'extension' books he is reading, but since I don't read those with him (independent), I don't know how well he is covering it.

I vote with OhElizabeth. Stick with what you are doing....Bigger....and add extras for your oldest.

You will have MORE holes if you keep switching programs every few months. You are seeing that you need to add more history/science reading for your son so just ADD it to what you are already doing. You are seeing that your oldest isn't doing enough writing so ADD it to what you are already doing.

You do not have to have read every book or topic that he writes about. The main concern with his writing isn't content it is mechanics. You will know his understanding of the content through your conversations. You are using his reading to give him something to write about and you just need to worry about teaching him the mechanics of writing a paragraph and outlining. If you feel you need to have read every book he writes about then keep that in mind when selecting a program for next year.

Don't make any sudden changes! If using a program for the younger and trying to beef it up to the older isn't going to work then keep that in mind for NEXT YEAR! Make a list of positives and negatives of the program you are using and the programs you have used. Make a list of your ideal program in the future and used these list to evaluate for NEXT YEAR.