Menu

the value of greek and latin

? For those of you who feel learning greek and latin are important.

What would you say to someone who feels that it has no value in what so ever in modern situations? Someone who feels that if you cannot speak these languages in an everyday setting that they have no value.

Well, if it were *me*, I'd tell them that I'm glad that they feel the way they do and that it's a good thing that they are free to do with their children what they will, and that I will do what I feel is best for mine, TYVM.

Maybe not the most PC answer so you may opt out of that one. ;) You did ask what I would say... :tongue_smilie::lol:

I've had that question posed to me too many times now to get my feathers ruffled trying to explain myself to others. :rolleyes:

Well, if it were *me*, I'd tell them that I'm glad that they feel the way they do and that it's a good thing that they are free to do with their children what they will, and that I will do what I feel is best for mine, TYVM.

Maybe not the most PC answer so you may opt out of that one. ;) You did ask what I would say... :tongue_smilie::lol:

I've had that question posed to me too many times now to get my feathers ruffled trying to explain myself to others. :rolleyes:

Actually I think that's a fine answer :D

The person that said this isn't a parent. It actually stemmed from a conversation about translations of the bible. The person said if you can't order a burger with latin it's of no value. I'm trying to resist the urge to tell him to go into a pet store and ask for an aquarium with using latin.

Well, my son is the one learning Latin. He has just completed his first semester with Lukeion.org (they covered chapters 1-9 of Wheelock's Latin).

With that one semester of knowledge, he has a much better understanding of English grammar (good to use when writing/speaking), can diagram sentences in a flash (makes for better grades in his English class), can find the meaning of a word based on its Latin root (good for SAT/ACT scores and vocabulary building when reading), has helped a LOT with learning French grammar & vocab (so much so, that studying for French so far is almost nil) can translate phrases from books, movies, and other places where Latin writing appears (mostly good for self-gratitude, but can sometimes lead to a better understanding of a book/passage/movie, etc.), and not to mention the great feeling of of accomplishment in learning a language that is out of the 'norm'.

If the above doesn't 'do it' for the person who thinks there is 'no value' in learning Latin or Greek, my standard reply is "well, I feel that any education is never wasted" (as my mother always says). The three times I've used that, the person has changed the subject. ;) Like Plain Jane said, it's not a PC answer, but neither is dissing someone's language study choice and trying to tell them that the knowledge will have 'no value'.

I think both languages have great value for this day and age. I've never had a more challenging course of study than taking Latin. Thinking through the various grammatical constructions in Latin and working on translations has forced me to use all my brain power. To me, it's almost like verbal calculus---only you're not using number, but words, and trying to work out translations that are accurate and beautiful and make sense in English, all at the same time.

I can't speak for Greek, since I've never studied the language, but working through Latin forces one's mind to think in very detailed, accurate ways. Perhaps the best short article I've ever read on the value of studying Greek and Latin is Michael Potemra's article which was published originally in National Review. You can read the entire article here, but one phrase that stuck with me was this: "Show me the man who can think his way through the Latin and Greek constructions, says Simmons, and I'll show you a man who should build bridges."

I think we have a need in our world for logical, orderly thinking, and I think that the study of both of these languages leads to that. There are many other benefits as well, but this is one that continues to strike a resonant chord with me.

but one phrase that stuck with me was this: "Show me the man who can think his way through the Latin and Greek constructions, says Simmons, and I'll show you a man who should build bridges."

I think we have a need in our world for logical, orderly thinking, and I think that the study of both of these languages leads to that. There are many other benefits as well, but this is one that continues to strike a resonant chord with me.

I like this :) Thank you for sharing that link

Well, my son is the one learning Latin. He has just completed his first semester with Lukeion.org (they covered chapters 1-9 of Wheelock's Latin).

With that one semester of knowledge, he has a much better understanding of English grammar (good to use when writing/speaking), can diagram sentences in a flash (makes for better grades in his English class), can find the meaning of a word based on its Latin root (good for SAT/ACT scores and vocabulary building when reading), has helped a LOT with learning French grammar & vocab (so much so, that studying for French so far is almost nil) can translate phrases from books, movies, and other places where Latin writing appears (mostly good for self-gratitude, but can sometimes lead to a better understanding of a book/passage/movie, etc.), and not to mention the great feeling of of accomplishment in learning a language that is out of the 'norm'.

If the above doesn't 'do it' for the person who thinks there is 'no value' in learning Latin or Greek, my standard reply is "well, I feel that any education is never wasted" (as my mother always says). The three times I've used that, the person has changed the subject. ;) Like Plain Jane said, it's not a PC answer, but neither is dissing someone's language study choice and trying to tell them that the knowledge will have 'no value'.

Wow. Sounds like learning latin has done given your son some wonderful tools. You're right, education is never a waste :)

If you travel in Greece, speaking Greek, you will have the Greek people at your feet.

:D

So true.

Besides the fact that study of those two languages is at the core of a truly classical education, there are just so many benefits for dc. The ancient languages open the door for many modern languages, science and medical terminology, grammar, you name it.

I agree with Michelle too, there's something deeper and more significant in the study of it, a logic and beauty that are good to expose your children to, to challenge them with.

:iagree: I'll go with Jane's answer. Then I'd probably asked if they ever cracked open an anatomy book and looked at how many names come from Latin.

Hi Rebecca!

My son was in the 9:00am Tuesday class, and is continuing the same day/time for 1b. The 11:30 would have been my first pick, because the 9:00am class is *really* at 8:00am for us (we're Central time), but the kids have band 30 minutes away and the later class would have run into travel time.

We, too, just love Mrs. Barr!! My ds has registered for the Meet the Romans workshop. He hemmed and hawed about it, but then decided to take it. He's really enjoying Latin, much to his amazement!

Oh, and so this isn't a total hijack, another 'real world' benefit of knowing Latin is that he can assist friends with their biology vocab. :D He's really getting a kick out of seeing how Latin is everywhere.

? For those of you who feel learning greek and latin are important.

What would you say to someone who feels that it has no value in what so ever in modern situations? Someone who feels that if you cannot speak these languages in an everyday setting that they have no value.

I wouldn't say anything to them. Not every objection requires a response.

If instead of so clearly and close-mindedly stating their determination not to be swayed in their opinion, they had asked, with genuine curiousity, "In what way do you believe that the study of Greek and Latin contributes to your child's education?" then I might be inclined to refer them to a variety of interesting articles and books, and a conversation might ensue.

Edited by plimsoll