Menu

What should I use my new stand mixer for?

I have a shiny, new, Kitchenaid Pro 600 stand mixer sitting on my counter. I'm very excited and have wanted one for a while. I made pizza dough last night and made up some bread this morning.

I know I had a million things I was going to use this for but now that it's here I can't seem to remember why this was such a necessary purchase :)

It did great for the dough I made but so does the bread machine I paid $25 for.

Someone please remind me what I'm going to use this for. What great things am I going to be able to do with this machine?

Thanks,

Marie (suffering some buyer's guilt or remorse or something...)

It is pretty!

Don't you just *love it* when you buy something you have been wanting for ages and then don't have any use for it for a while. I am due for a new food processor, mine died, and i keep thinking if only i had it, i could do x or y but i know as soon as i get it i wont have a use for it right at that time. Murphy's Law i guess.

Why not bake a cake or some cookies :)

One thing I do is make large batches in my KA. The majority of bread products freeze very well. So, I double everything. It makes my life so much easier.

Things I generally make and freeze:

Quick breads

WW bread, french rolls, bread sticks

Cinn. Rolls and Meat swirls

Muffins

Cookie Doughs (I usually bake some and shape the rest of the dough into a log and freeze)

Waffles

HTH's

There are several things I like about my kitchen aide and one of them is that I don't have to stand there and mix cake mixes for 2 min. I can go do something else or when I make anything where egg whites have to have peaks I can let the mixer do it and walk away and do something else. I make a german marbled cake that has to mix for several minutes, again I don't have to stand there with a hand mixer I can do something else. I use mine all the time for I make cookies 2-3 times a week and I can multi task while the kitchen aide does it's thing.

I am on my second kitchen aid and love, love, love mine! :) I make huge batches of cookies. Make the dough into balls and freeze a dozen per baggie. That way when friends drop in I always have fresh cookies. I make mashed potatoes in it, too. Just be really careful to not over mix or you'll have a gummy mess. I make my boys birthday cakes and homemade frosting. I make homemade Belgium waffles and use the mixer to beat the eggs whites perfectly. I use it during the holidays for everything!

I don't have any of the attachments but I would love to get the pasta maker and make my own pasta! Yum!!!

I use mine for EVERYTHING! A lot has been mentioned here - the bottom line is, it works better than any other mixer I had ever used; it mixes quickly and efficiently with a minimum of fuss. It's easy to clean up, and since we keep ours sitting on the counter, extremely convenient to just grab and use.

Dd makes banana bread and chocolate chip cookies once or twice a month, and we have homemade dough for pizza about once a week.

Really, once you start using it, I think you will love it! I can't think of anything I do now that I couldn't do before I had it, but it is all so much easier now! I'm more likely to whip up homemade rolls and make our own pizza than before I had it.

You can make the topping for apple crisp. We love mashed sweet potatoes with chipotle.

Can't really help you with the guilt. Mine looks very pretty and sits there unused except once or twice a year. I'm much more likely to use my (awesome) KA handmixer or the immersion blender. They're my go-to appliances. :)

Well, I have to agree with everything said. I bought mine mostly to make the icing for cake decorating, but I use it for most things. Strangely enough, I don't do cake mixes or mashed potatoes in it. And I do my pie dough in my food processor. But any breads I don't make in my bread machine, all cookies, all frostings, cheesecake, meatloaf and meatballs are all made in it.

I use it to blend stuff I'd rather not touch with my bare hands - like raw meat and eggs for meatloaf or meatballs. Plus beating egg whites, cookie doughs (esp. if you are doubling a recipe) bread doughs....

:banghead:

This is the closest I could find to a smacking-the-head smilie.

Why do I continue to mix my meatloaf by hand?

Don't you just *love it* when you buy something you have been wanting for ages and then don't have any use for it for a while.

Yeah--I asked for and received a specific slow cooker for Christmas. It's still in it's box because I need to figure out where to store it. Ideally, I'd keep it out on the counter top, but I have to clean/sort/organize/declutter to do that.