Menu

BMI in children

This is a spin-off of the overweight kids thread.

My 8yo is 4'9" tall and weighs about 96 pounds. He wears a mens size 7 shoe.

According to the BMI calculator (and percentile chart) he is overweight because he is above the 95th percentile for his BMI.

If his height is above the 95th percentile, and his weight is proportional, how could his BMI *not* be above the 95th percentile?

I don't think the percentiles for height and weight directly correlate to the same percentile for BMI. Here's how BMI is calculated for children:

When using English measurements, ounces (oz) and fractions must be changed to decimal values. Then, calculate BMI by dividing weight in pounds (lbs) by height in inches (in) squared and multiplying by a conversion factor of 703.

BMI is totally different for children. Google up a children's BMI calculator somewhere. Here is one http://pediatrics.about.com/cs/usefultools/l/bl_bmi_calc.htm

I entered in your son's data, assuming he is 8 yrs 6 mos old (since I didn't know how many months he is over 8).

It looks at the child's BMI and then calculates whether it is within OK ranges (which it sets at between 5th & 85th percentile FOR AGE). . . Your ds is at 95th, which is high.

Here is what it said . . .

+++++++ begin quote

A 8 year and 6 months old (male) child

who is 96 pounds

and is 4 feet and 9 inches tall has

a body mass index of 20.8,

which is at the 95th percentile,

and would indicate that your child is at risk of becoming overweight.

. . . . (edited out a bunch of links)

Remember, a child is considered to be:

• overweight if they have a BMI over the 95th percentile for their age
  • at risk of becoming overweight if they have a BMI between the 85th and 95th percentile for their age
  • underweight if they have a BMI under the 5th percentile for their age

And a child has a healthy BMI if it is between the 5th and 85th percentile.

++++++++ end quote

On the BMI index linked above, it also says:

Since body mass index doesn't directly measure body fat, it is possible to be overweight but not obese. Some kids who are very athletic and have a large muscle mass, may be overweight, but if they do not have excess body fat, then they do not need help with weight loss. However, the vast majority of children who are overweight are also obese and do need help with weight management.

Is your child athletic?

Renee I think I understand what you're thinking. If your ds was an adult, his 20.8 bmi would put him squarely in the 'normal' category. I don't quite understand why they have different standards of acceptable bmi for kids. Maybe it works for the majority of kids but not for kids who are tall or short for their age( I have kids at both extremes).

My nephew has had a 5% bmi for years and he is not healthy at all but doctors don't bother to look past the numbers, which gives my sis the excuse to ignore his problem. When he turned 18, the adult bmi charts clearly showed he was drastically underweight but since they'd been working off the kid charts they thought it was unreasonable to instantly switch to the adult bmi calculator.

The bmi numbers are just one tool- as a stand alone snapshot, it might not tell as much for kids who are taller or shorter than average.

I don't think the percentiles for height and weight directly correlate to the same percentile for BMI. Here's how BMI is calculated for children:

I realize that. What I meant is that BMI is directly related to height and weight. I just can't see how my ds is overweight at 8, but if he were the same size at 10 he wouldn't be. He is the size of an average 10 yo, so wouldn't it make sense that his BMI is high for 8 years old?

What happened to growth spurts? First they grow out, then they grow up. Most of my friends and relatives are very familiar with this phenomena. Clothing designers and neighbors aren't.

Wow. I've not seen it happen this way around here. It's first they grow up, then they grow out. Gangly boys, all arms and legs, and no shape to them is what I see around me.

What happened to growth spurts? First they grow out, then they grow up. Most of my friends and relatives are very familiar with this phenomena. Clothing designers and neighbors aren't.

:iagree:

I know when I am going to have to buy longer pants for my children soon as they start looking chunky. Looking chunky means growth spurt ahead here!

I realize that. What I meant is that BMI is directly related to height and weight. I just can't see how my ds is overweight at 8, but if he were the same size at 10 he wouldn't be. He is the size of an average 10 yo, so wouldn't it make sense that his BMI is high for 8 years old?

Sometimes you have to forget the numbers and look at the child.

Guest asmmasmi
This is a spin-off of the overweight kids thread.

My 8yo is 4'9" tall and weighs about 96 pounds. He wears a mens size 7 shoe.

According to the BMI calculator (and percentile chart) he is overweight because he is above the 95th percentile for his BMI.

If his height is above the 95th percentile, and his weight is proportional, how could his BMI *not* be above the 95th percentile?

I know when I am going to have to buy longer pants for my children soon as they start looking chunky. Looking chunky means growth spurt ahead here!

I just did my two underage kids. (My son is 20). My older dd has a BMI of 17.2 and that makes her in the 6% and my younger has a BMI of 18.9 and that makes her in a 52%. Both are in the healthy range which is how it looks like to me. But what this tells me is that higher BMI's are expected as you get older. My younger is not done growing and I expect her BMI to fall as she gets older.

In terms of growing spurts, my two older grew taller first and then filled out. My youngest grew chunkier and now is growing taller.