Menu

Went to see Sherlock Holmes today - loved it

Today was the last day before dh must return to work, so we went together to see a movie. We had to choose Sherlock Holmes because one of my dd did not want to see Avatar.

It was great. I love Robert Downey Jr. They ran previews for Iron Man 2 and now I can't wait. :thumbup1:

I am such a fan of Robert Downey Jr. as well. I am happy to see him doing so well these days, and I can't wait to watch Sherlock Holmes.

I enjoyed reading the stories when I was younger, so I was a little nervous when I heard how much 'fight style action' there would be in the movie. It was really good. Your mileage may vary, but for me the movie captured the excitement I used to feel reading about the cases. The sets and costumes were very steampunk (big plus for me).

Again, I am an outlier, I usually don't like the movies every one raves about and love the oddball ones. Sherlock Holmes was probably my favorite this year (2009) and the only one I plan to see twice.

For comparison, my top faves: Serenity, Iron Man, Die Hard I and IV, Thank You for Smoking, The Gods Must Be Crazy, Little Miss Sunshine and Men With Brooms.

I enjoyed reading the stories when I was younger, so I was a little nervous when I heard how much 'fight style action' there would be in the movie. It was really good. Your mileage may vary, but for me the movie captured the excitement I used to feel reading about the cases. The sets and costumes were very steampunk (big plus for me).

Again, I am an outlier, I usually don't like the movies every one raves about and love the oddball ones. Sherlock Holmes was probably my favorite this year (2009) and the only one I plan to see twice.

For comparison, my top faves: Serenity, Iron Man, Die Hard I and IV, Thank You for Smoking, The Gods Must Be Crazy, Little Miss Sunshine and Men With Brooms.

What does steampunk mean?

What does steampunk mean?

It is a style/genre of speculative fiction (Sci-fi/fantasy). It can refer to a genre of movies, books, graphic novels etc. It can also refer to clothing and accessories, people can dress 'steampunk'. If you would like to see examples, Etsy has a fair amount of steampunk fashion under the tag 'steampunk'.

Usually the genre refers to a fantasy setting (alternate history), bridging from Victorian England, in which the future marvels are based around brass, leather, steam-technology etc.

Steampunk is a less dystopian version of cyberpunk. :glare: (That might not be a clear as I hoped :lol:)

DH and I saw it Christmas day. LOVED IT! It was just good old fashioned entertainment. No underlying message, no propaganda - just entertainment. That's what I go to the movies for.

(I can't wait for Iron Man 2 either. The first one was probably one of my favorite movies ever. The trailer for Percy Jackson looked pretty darn amazing too.)

Because of the device? Other than that it was just plain old Victorian, wasn't it?

Doing my best to answer without spoilers :D.

Mostly the device, but the laboratories and other plot devices also. For me the atmosphere was more 'surreal' than 'period drama'.

Since my personnel definition of steampunk (above in thread) involves adding technology to a Victorian setting, the movie meets that rather circular definition. :lol:

Thanks

Today was the last day before dh must return to work, so we went together to see a movie. We had to choose Sherlock Holmes because one of my dd did not want to see Avatar.

It was great. I love Robert Downey Jr. They ran previews for Iron Man 2 and now I can't wait. :thumbup1:

Robert Downey Jr.? :willy_nilly:

How did I not know about this?

Denise, I'd love to go to the movies with you!!

My best friend is a Chick-Flick fan and I can't sit through the Princess Diaries or Ella Enchanted without making wisecracks....

K

Who thinks True Romance was a truly romantic movie.....

Sock Puppet Punk is new to me. How do you define it?

I've seen 9 described as steampunk, but since it stars these little, um...sock puppets, lol...I was just making a play on the name.

We liked it (my older kids saw it with me), but it was definitely very Tim Burton-ish. (Dark, odd, etc.)

I've seen 9 described as steampunk, but since it stars these little, um...sock puppets, lol...I was just making a play on the name.

We liked it (my older kids saw it with me), but it was definitely very Tim Burton-ish. (Dark, odd, etc.)

ooooohhhh!!! I love Tim Burton, now I really must see it.

Are you looking forward to the Alice in Wonderland movie?