Menu

Am I the only one that loves Walmart?

If good stewardship is considered anti-capitalist, then you're right. I am not a capitalist.

Tara

"good stewardship" is not "anti-capitalist", but neither is it required of capitalism.

the traits you accuse WalMart of failing at are simply NOT defining capitalistic traits. It's like complaining that a plumber is the worst example of performing heart surgery. It's not logical.

Now one can use a capitalistic system to support all kinds of great causes and pet projects [and I think a capitalistic system would really help that flourish], but that's a use of the system, not a definitive type in the system.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

to be fair, i do understand that what most don't like is not the buildings themselves, but the policies enacted by the living beings in charge. ;)

Peek, I agree. I was just feeling a little snarky! Seems like we (on the board) can argue over almost any banal subject imaginable!

Seems like we (on the board) can argue over almost any banal subject imaginable!
I don't consider anyone here to be arguing. Peek and Tara, for example, have had a thought-provoking exchange regarding capitalism. Disagreement is not argument.

Aside from that, I don't think this is a banal subject. Should people be allowed to vote with their feet and shop where they want to shop? Of course! But the subject itself ~ why we make certain choices, and what those choices support ~ is worthy of discussion. If you want genuine argument over a banal subject, post and ask whether or not it's acceptable to wear shoes in someone else's home. Then you'll see real sparks fly.;)

Well, I am certain it doesn't do the reverse...so why not? Rising tides raise all boats, and all....;)

when was the last time you [general you] asked a person or company poorer than you for a regular paying job?

when we look around and examine the jobs available, you very rarely have people volunteering their time, money, and expertise to a for-profit company.

but if you want to try that w/ your own income situation [letting the wealth "trickle up"] and report back, I'm all ears.

If you want genuine argument over a banal subject, post and ask whether or not it's acceptable to wear shoes in someone else's home. Then you'll see real sparks fly.;)

....except the sparks only fly when you're talking about telling someone ELSE to remove their shoes in your home. ;)

but yes, i can see how a matter of courtesy can be banal. :D

Given I've only been to one store one time, but it was dirty and disorganized.

I avoid big box retailers of all kinds, not for any political or anit-capitalist beliefs, I just hate them. Costco, Barnes and Noble, and very rarely Target our my only expections.

I dislike many of the crap products they sell, the poor attitudes of employees*, the faux "we love our community" corporate policies, and the feeling of being a cog in a unresponsive wheel.

I purchased most of our Christmas gifts via amazon or online. I have a prime account and I'm not afraid to use it. :D

I completely respect the rights of all folks to spend their own money where and when they choose.

* I live in the Northeast - Near NYC. Regionally, I don't think we're renowned overall for our polite attitudes. I understand that this may vary significantly by region. The impatient, hurrumphing eye-roll is our default expression.

:glare: Gosh, just think of all those characters that don't even look like (our) letters. :D

We are all aware that China is not "going away" so we will have to find a way to deal with them.

Chinese civilization has existed for over 5000 years into modern day. Written language and history -- dating back several thousand years as well. Other civs would be lucky to remain this long. About 30% of the children in my kids' Chinese pre-K and immersion school do not look Asian in any way. Their parents want to give their kids a jump on a language they think will be important within a generation. It's really not that unthinkable.

Edited by mirth

I purchased most of our Christmas gifts via amazon or online. I have a prime account and I'm not afraid to use it. :D

I completely respect the rights of all folks to spend their own money where and when they choose.

* I live in the Northeast - Near NYC. Regionally, I don't think we're renowned overall for our polite attitudes. I understand that this may vary significantly by region. The impatient, hurrumphing eye-roll is our default expression.

1st..... what's amazon? Do they offer their employees great benefits? Shares....etc.?? They've run our local bookstores out....

2nd..... Do you love IKEA? Gosh... the first IKEA I ever shopped at was in NJ:-) Loved it.... :-)

Carrie:-)

I love walmart too!

Now that said there is a HUGE difference between the 2 local ones that I can go to. One is 5 minutes from my house, and great! Helpful employees, nice people, and clean! The other is 30 minutes away, and full of mess, scary employees, and filthy.

Locally, we only have Safeway and Walmart. Walmart is usually cheaper , but then I am tempted to look at other things than food. :D True, it isn't the place to start a career, but it is a great place for high school kids to get a part time jobs.

I get so ticked off at the whole walmart-is-the-devil thing.

SIDE NOTE: walmart.com had the SOTW on audio book! Great price... :-D I would buy it from the local hs store though, becuse I would rather send my homeschool $$ to them, but hey, for paper plates, cheap knit pants for bb, and shoes for dd who grows out of them in a flash, walmart is the place to be. Beside everywhere else for inexpensive clothing, shoes etc. is 30 minutes away.

Edited by lcelmer