Menu

HOw much should my daughter charge for babysitting?

We live in one of the most expensive areas of the country- suburbs of DC. SHe hasn't charged anyone yet but so far she gets the following rates for work- 10 a day for pet sitting two cats, 10 a day for petsitting a dog that needs three visits and a long walk (but they are friends of ours), 10 an hour for babysitting an 8 or 9 year old and helping with homeschooling and making lunch,and 9.6o per hour for babysitting three children( less than 18 mths, 4, 7). She is now being asked what her rate is for one 10 month old. SHe is 16, has both her babysitting and cpr certificates, and does not need transportation by the people. (SHe either drives herself or we drive her).

I think $10 an hour for babysitting is good. If there were more than four children then I might consider charging a little more. If it's going to be for more than four hours then I would agree to a set fee beforehand.

I tend to give my babysitter's a little bonus on top of the hourly rate if they are good babysitters. For us, good means, staying off the cellphone and actively playing with my kids. If you happen to get a chance to clean up after yourselves then you have really made my day and deserve a bonus too. But I don't expect them to clean up - keeping my kids entertained and safe it the main job.

I had one babysitter who would sit and text and kept my kids occupied with the TV. No bonus for her and no callbacks or recommendations either.

I think 10 an hour for an urban place is appropriate. Here I give our babysitter who is 15 yo 12! I remember when I was a kid it was $5/hr for one kid and $1 more for each kid. I think that today $10/hr for one kid and $1 more for each additional kids is reasonable. For a high school girl that is responsible and good at what she does. I have a friend that pays a college student or maybe post college student about $23/hr!!!!