Menu

Need recommendations for baby carriers

A Moby wrap is nice for a young baby, comfortable for mom, and reasonably priced. :)

I loved my wrap (I had a different brand, but I'd go with a Moby if I was choosing one today). I picked it up used at a consignment store, so it wasn't very expensive. I also have a Maya Wrap that was wonderful too, but when my baby was little, I preferred the wrap to the sling because it held the baby more snugly. The wrap was also easier on my back when I was walking long distances.

The Ultimate Baby Wrap/carrier? looks like a Moby wrap... except it has rings instead of tying.... and I got that one for $25 on ebay.... a couple of years ago:-) They also have a nice video that you can watch. If you got really nice material.. you could make that, too:-)

Carrie

:iagree:This is the one I have and love. I think the video makes a big difference to ease of use. :) I found mine at TJ Maxx 2 years ago, for about $20.

I hated the Moby!

It was way too much fabric and then when the babe gets bigger, it is pretty much useless because the fabric stretches so much.

When dd was really little, we settled on a pouch. Now I have a Maya Wrap ring sling that has been perfect for us. I started using it when dd was around 3mo and still use it at 20mo. I've heard of some mamas using it until 3 or 4 years old.

I also use a Mei Ta for back carrying, which is wonderful because it doesn't have all the extra padding crap that the Ergo has.

Seriously, if she wants a baby carrier, she probably has one in mind already because there are so many styles and variations. It depends on her preference.

I wouldn't go cheap just to save money. I mean, the baby is going to be in there. Safety and comfort should be priorities...

Here is more info on baby carriers:

http://www.thebabywearer.com/

Ditto a wrap!

And if you or someone you know sews, you can make one very inexpensively! I bought a VERY(!!!) thin cotton blend from the WalMart $1/yd table and made my wraps. It eliminates this problem:

when the babe gets bigger, it is pretty much useless because the fabric stretches so much.

She won't be able to use a Mei Tei until the baby is bigger. But it is a very nice option! It was my fav for wearing my 2yo on my back.

Ring slings are nice too but some tend to droop.

I loved my pouch when the girls were tiny then a MT or Ergo. When we were going out with baby I often chose a ring sling so they could nurse covered while we were doing stuff.

Your best bet is to take her out and have her try them on with baby to see which carriers work best for them. Even babies r us carries some decent carriers now that they have become more mainstream (at least ours does).

I like the BabyHawk and Ergo (I never used the Ergo for a newborn, it can be done though). I like the concept of wraps, but I did not like the Moby (only one I tried). The fabric had WAY too much give. I'd like to try a woven wrap someday.

Just keep in mind that some carriers (like Baby Bjorn), when used facing out, leave the baby's legs dangling and that can be bad for the hips/legs.

She won't be able to use a Mei Tei until the baby is bigger. But it is a very nice option! It was my fav for wearing my 2yo on my back.

I used my mei tai (BabyHawk) from the beginning :) You just put the baby on your chest in the "frog leg" position, and the feet tuck under the bottom (like this).

Hubby and I have used the Nojo, Bjorn, and Ergo and liked all three. It really depended on the child. I felt the ergo was the best and more versatile since you can wear on the front when young, and back when the baby is older. It is hard to cook dinner with an older baby on the front, they get grabby.

Good luck!

Adrianne

my dd has requested a baby carrier for Christmas. She has a 8 week old baby girl who likes to be held and would like to start putting her in a baby carrier. Can anyone recommend a good, but not terribly expensive baby carrier?

You could purchase a gift card good towards a carrier via a babywearing vendor - this would allow you to set a price you are comfortable with, allow her to speak one-on-one with someone familiar with the different styles and types available, and also give her some leeway (by way of exchange) if one style doesn't work out for her but the vendor carries another style that may work better. My favorite vendor is www.peppermint.com both as a baby carrier buyer AND gifter. Excellent customer service, and wonderful ethic - they won't sell you something you don't need or that won't work. They've even referred me to other vendors when appropriate. I believe the issue a catalog with suggestions, so that might be worth looking into.

Congratulations on the new, sweet baby!

My recommendation is to have your DD visit the next meeting of her local chapter of Babywearing International to try out everyone's carriers. I've used a Moby Wrap (fine during cooler months but too hot in warm months), a Maya Wrap (I didn't care for the rings), a Snuggli, and now I'm using a handmade Mei Tai. There are several patterns out there, but I love this one because of the interchangeable panels.