Menu

Attitude or curriculum issue?

mystika1

Hi,

I am at a loss right now about my daughters(6 yr old) attitude. I have tried many different curriculums which work out great for about two months then the tantrums start every morning when I pull out the materials. I went from FIAR to Konos then AO then just the three r's and then WWE, SOTW and MUS and Readers now back to FIAR with CLE Math, LA and Reading! AO's read alouds were wonderful but my daughter just couldn't absorb the stories as they were a bit over her head so to speak. Now when I try to real aloud she groans and asks if she can play while I read. I tried that route but when I ask her questions about the story after I am done reading she says "I don't know mom, I wasn't paying attention." It it driving me nuts. This week we are going to read The Christmas Carol. When I told her what we were going to be reading she said she would rather see the movie. SIGH!

Is this a behavior issue? Lazy? Am I choosing the wrong materials?

I make her sit and pay attention but it is getting old fighting this.

Any thoughts?

Sincerely,

Penny

I know with my youngest, which was the only child I had an issue with, we made a deal. I would expect her undivided attention for 20 minutes and then if she did well, and listened she would in return get 30 minutes to have free play. I was very strict with this, and I even used a timer. By the middle of the year the training paid off, she started asking for me to read more, or she wanted to do an extra page of math. She needed some gentle training on sitting and focusing, and when she did it, she became more engrossed in the book I would be reading. Now at seven she will easily sit through and hour.

Good luck!

Whenever I'm having trouble like that, I just make sure my lessons are short - 5 or 10 minutes per subject. That usually takes care of the problem.

And I would say it is an attitude problem rather than curriculum. Pick something and stick with it. All of the things you've tried are good. But once you pick something, fine tune it. Start with the basics, then add other things one at a time. We start school every day with a good story, which my 6-year-old loves. Rather than switching out curriculum, try adjusting your schedule. Make sure their stomachs are full and they've had a chance to burn off some energy. Try to do the hardest subjects when they're at their best.

Attitude problems like that aren't fun, but you can deal with them. Hang in there!

Guest Alte Veste Academy
Hi,

I have tried many different curriculums which work out great for about two months then the tantrums start every morning when I pull out the materials. I went from FIAR to Konos then AO then just the three r's and then WWE, SOTW and MUS and Readers now back to FIAR with CLE Math, LA and Reading!

Is this a behavior issue? Lazy? Am I choosing the wrong materials?

I might be way off, but reading what you wrote about how many times you've changed for her, I wonder if she has "give them an inch and they take a mile" syndrome. So, if she complains, you listen and change things up. She gets rewarded for being resistant with new materials (novelty?) or delay. Maybe it's less an issue of wrong materials and more an issue of too many materials and not enforcing a routine.

And I would say it is an attitude problem rather than curriculum. Pick something and stick with it. All of the things you've tried are good. But once you pick something, fine tune it. Start with the basics, then add other things one at a time.

:iagree:

As others have said, make sure your lessons are short but demand full attention. Be cheerful but strong and let her know that school is a must. (Dangling the carrot of being released for play is a powerful motivator here also.) It sounds like you guys just need to stick with one set of programs and get used to the routine of using them.

Another vote for consistency and short lessons.

But, I think A Christmas Carol MIGHT be over the heads of some six yr olds. Some 6 yr olds would do great with it, but it's long and has some archaic language, and some frightening scenes. I'm not sure my 6 yr old would handle it well. She could comprehend it, but it would have limited appeal.

But, I think A Christmas Carol MIGHT be over the heads of some six yr olds. Some 6 yr olds would do great with it, but it's long and has some archaic language, and some frightening scenes. I'm not sure my 6 yr old would handle it well. She could comprehend it, but it would have limited appeal.

My son isn't liking it at 7. At six we were discussing My Father's Dragon and the simpler Dick King-Smith, like Funny Frank. Little House in the Big Woods was about as high as we reached.

I agree with the short but focused lessons. I started at 5 minutes for a K5 (we did it at K4 but I didn't "enforce" it), 10 at the beginning of 1st, and now we easily do 2 hours straight, but part of that is maturity. But first succeed with short stretches, and then stretch them.

I make sure kiddo is fed and as "been aired", as my mother would say. If he strays, I remind him of X, Y, and Z, and that if we get done with school soon enough, that is what he'll be doing (e,g, if you are done in time, you can go swimming with Papa).

Again, I ask forbearance from those who get grumpy when mothers of one post advice.:)

You might like to get audio books and put them on while she plays. My dd LOVED them at that age.

-The Chronicles of Narnia (unabridged)

-Charlotte's Web (her favorite!!!)

-the Little House series

Start with those and just put them on while she plays, colors, does handicrafts, etc. Listening comprehension comes with time, and you need to create a language-rich environment. No mom can read that much, so audio books are your friends!

Yes, we used a timer at that age. Oxo makes a particularly good one. Use it faithfully. Keep your sessions short, and insert lots of fun and physical stuff. This is SUCH a fun age. Well except when they're not behaving, lol. And are you considering her K5 or 1st? She's could be either at age 6 right now. If she's on the edge as far as birthdays, you might take your expectations down (K5 times and amounts, not 1st) and see if that helps. With my dd, who has a spring birthday, I often found at that age that she would take a jump mid-year, usually January. That's how it has stayed in fact. They typically have growth spurts at their half-year birthday, and they grow emotionally and intellectually as well. So we don't up the ante of anything in the fall and instead do that in January. We're getting ready to start many subjects with new things, the next level, this January, so it's still how it is going for us, all these years later! So you could use the K5 recs on times and amounts through December, then in January start working her up to 1st grade WTM recs. See what I mean? Find a level that fits her and ignore everything else.

Discipline is a big part of homeschooling, so you definitely want to work on it. After you're sure you're reasonable, attempting to be consistent, and integrating as much pleasantry as possible (alternate work and pleasant rewards), then it's just down to discipline. Joy. We do a 3 strikes and it's Daddy's turn. And at that age the policy was that if you didn't want to work you went to your room. But if you went to your room, you were staying there till Daddy found you. ;)

My 13-year-old LOVED A Christmas Carol this past month. Actually, he just turned 14 :tongue_smilie: We listened to an audiobook with a dramatic British narrator.

I'd read her picture books about Christmas traditions, the meaning of Christmas, and helping others. I'd sing Christmas carols. And nothing wrong with a few videos :)

As far as crankiness, my mantra is "school hours." My children must get used to the fact that we do educational things during certain hours each day, period. The rest of the details are negotiable.

Julie

I don't let mine play while I read but I do let them do coloring pages, SOTW AG ages when reading about history or a printable coloring page to go with a book. We did Spiders during Charlotte's Web, sheep and farm scenes during Mountain Born, you get the idea. Otherwise I second the advice already given, keep it short. We even use Schoolbells and if the work is done before the next bell, it is their free time.

I might be way off, but reading what you wrote about how many times you've changed for her, I wonder if she has "give them an inch and they take a mile" syndrome. So, if she complains, you listen and change things up. She gets rewarded for being resistant with new materials (novelty?) or delay. Maybe it's less an issue of wrong materials and more an issue of too many materials and not enforcing a routine.

...It sounds like you guys just need to stick with one set of programs and get used to the routine of using them.

I have a friend who is having these problems with her boys and I have been telling her much the same thing. It seems as if they know that they can whine and give her a hard time; and she will just give up and they won't do any school work until she gets another curriculum.

I agree that this book may be too much for her. If you have your heart set on it, though, maybe you could find a young children's version?

My kids can pay attention to read-alouds better if they are able to do something with their hands at the same time, but not something that is going to require too much concentration... they usually do coloring pages or play with a few Legos...