Menu

If you became a Christian at a later age, how did you learn a Christian worldview?

I feel like I am a Christian without a Christian worldview, due to my upbringing (Public school, church-on-Sunday but no other time.) It shocks me sometimes how secular my thinking is. I never had any Christian mentors or role models. Dh is basically a carnal Christian, so no help there.

I'd like to gain a solidly Christian worldview so I don't pass on secular thinking to my children. And I need to do it quickly, as dd at age 10 is asking harder and harder and very good questions and I feel like I'm ill-equipped sometimes. Even as a conservative, Bible-believing Christian, I feel crippled by the old worldview. I'd love to hear how others have managed to internalize their new Christian worldview, especially resources that have helped.

I'm already reading the Bible and praying as much as possible. We are also in a good church.

Some churches have lady's mentoring programs where an older lady mentors a younger one in her Christian walk. Maybe something like that would help.

This should be a good thread. I didn't become a regular Christian until a 5 years ago. My parents were not religious when I was growing up. I became a JW as a school kid. I think I got a lot of my current world view through Bible reading and fellowshipping with quite a few wonderful, wonderful Christians.

Dh is basically a carnal Christian, so no help there.

This is a serious question: what is a carnal Christian? I connect the word carnal with the flesh.

I think it can help tremendously to have an older woman for a friend, especially one that has raised her children.

Watchtower and Awake magazines (watchtower.org) put a christian world view to everything in their articles: biology, astrology, ecology, world history of all time periods, religious history, geography/cultures, modern life, family life, work place problems, moral questions... there is a huge variety, though always politically neutral. They are a wonderful resource. I also really benefitted from a book for kids called Learning From the Great Teacher (it is for big kids too). It covers a lot of daily situations with scriptural thinking.

I also have a book about God's personality and his 4 main attributes. It includes a chapter on how Jesus showed us those attributes in his actions and how we can show the same attributes ourselves. Lots of prayer.

I have found that I have to be very careful with whom I associate, even within the congregation. Not everyone who thinks they are doing well is a good example to me.

Julie (lionfamily1999) probably has some suggestions for you! I will direct her here if she doesn't see this.

I guess my definition of a carnal Christian is someone who is saved, but you're not seeing fruit of any kind. They may not be pursuing sin, per se, but their relationship with Christ is not evident in their daily life.

Yes, I have considered trying to find a mentor at church. I will pray some more about that, seeking the Lord's leading.

Thanks kindly, Loved to Death, but did you know Watchtower/Awake are Jehovah's Witness?

I guess my definition of a carnal Christian is someone who is saved, but you're not seeing fruit of any kind. They may not be pursuing sin, per se, but their relationship with Christ is not evident in their daily life.

Yes, I have considered trying to find a mentor at church. I will pray some more about that, seeking the Lord's leading.

Thanks kindly, Loved to Death, but Jehovah's Witness literature (Watchtower/Awake) won't work with my beliefs.

You might be surprised. They have changed their format and have a separate Watchtower for Jehovah's Witnesses and one for the public. The Awake is even more friendly to all denominations. I doubt you will have a problem with an article entitled "The Beautiful Moth" or "Help your Children to Thrive".

I highly suggest you look into the truthproject DVD program. There are support groups all over that present it in a supportive group setting but my FIL bought the whole set of DVD's for my husband and I so we've been able to watch them together at home. Here is the website link. By watching and learning from this program, your worldview will surely be focused on Biblical truths.

http://www.thetruthproject.org/

Thanks, LTD, I didn't mean to offend in any way. In fact, as you were answering I had decided to go back in and put that sentence in a little different format. I really appreciate you giving your input to the thread!
Aw, thanks for making me feel better! :grouphug: I have been trying to stay off of the general board and especially religious threads. But I can't stay away. :toetap05: at myself.

I am finding this thread interesting, as Jehovah's Witnesses have so much literature that I can't keep up with it all. I was curious as to what else is out there, as I doubt there is anything else like it. I have looked at AIG quite a bit. But I have to pay for that. :tongue_smilie:(Jehovah's Witness' printing is supported by voluntary donations, and voluntary workers.) I am not so offended at people questioning the Witnesses, I have had a time where I have hung back and done so myself.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

I feel like I am a Christian without a Christian worldview, due to my upbringing (Public school, church-on-Sunday but no other time.) It shocks me sometimes how secular my thinking is. I never had any Christian mentors or role models. Dh is basically a carnal Christian, so no help there.

I'd like to gain a solidly Christian worldview so I don't pass on secular thinking to my children. And I need to do it quickly, as dd at age 10 is asking harder and harder and very good questions and I feel like I'm ill-equipped sometimes. Even as a conservative, Bible-believing Christian, I feel crippled by the old worldview. I'd love to hear how others have managed to internalize their new Christian worldview, especially resources that have helped.

I'm already reading the Bible and praying as much as possible. We are also in a good church.

I didn't grow up in a Christian home, but as a young adult who had become a Christian, I read a lot. Francis Shaeffer was someone whose writings really taught me how to think (as opposed to what to think). He was writing directly about Christian worldview--was maybe the first to articulate that. (I could be wrong about that.) There are many, many resources now. There are also resources for middle schoolers. There is one that compares 4 or more worldviews---can't think of the name right now--maybe someone else knows. It has a book for the kids and a study guide for the parent/teacher.

I highly suggest you look into the truthproject DVD program. There are support groups all over that present it in a supportive group setting but my FIL bought the whole set of DVD's for my husband and I so we've been able to watch them together at home. Here is the website link. By watching and learning from this program, your worldview will surely be focused on Biblical truths.

I forgot about the Truth Project, but it is awesome. I would highly recommend this.

:iagree:

Can you mention some specific resources you've like from Summit? Looks good, but there's so much there! Any recommended starting points?

I bought Lightbearers this year for dd12 and, thought I think I might wait another year for her to mature before using it, it looks wonderful. I have read through the material and it has helped solidify our worldview in contrast to a humanistic, secular culture. I would highly recommend it.

Also, Apologia has coupled with Summit in a worldview course for younger kids. I am using it during our morning Bible time, and so far I'm very impressed by it. I think the series is called "What we Believe", and the first book is "Who is God". I think they are planning three in the series.

Hope this helps,

Lisa

This looks great but it seems like it's not available for the general public to simply purchase or am I missing something? Do you have to find an official group/leader?

I think it can help tremendously to have an older woman for a friend, especially one that has raised her children.

I wasn't really a "later age" Christian, but a teenager when I became a Christian in a non-Christian household. I credit the 4 years of college babysitting for giving me my "Christian world view" especially in how that translates to family life. I spent most of my free time at the homes of my pastor and music director, helping the mom's with their kids. I became a part of their families, in a sense, and they taught me so much! Obviously that won't work right now for you, but spending time (even as a family) with another Christian family could be very good :)

Can you mention some specific resources you've like from Summit? Looks good, but there's so much there! Any recommended starting points?

I like it because..... There are Know Christian Speakers/Authors and such that speak there.

My daughter attended and had a blast. She's 17.5 and she'd go back in a heartbeat if we'd fund it. You can gain 2 college credits for not much more than the cost..... I figured it out... cost wise... compared to our really good camp... and it's actually less per day. You are in classes, mostly, but they do 2-4 activities like rock climbing... etc.. for a small charge.

This was worth a ton to our family. We paid full price... But, to let you know, my dad teaches there at least once per summer.

Carrie:-)

I am in the process of becoming a Christian right now, and one thing that has been HUGELY helpful to me is Father Stephen Freeman's podcast "Glory to God". In the first few episodes he discusses a 'one storey universe'. -- that was truly a paradigm shift for me. You can find his podcasts on Ancient Faith Radio or iTunes. I listen to them on my iPod while folding laundry or emptying the dishwasher. Who would have thought housework could be life changing??? :001_smile:

:iagree:

Our church adult group is finishing up The Truth Project Wednesday nights. It's very, very good. I plan to borrow the DVD's for my boys to watch them afterward - if the youth group as a whole doesn't choose to do it.

Another source I like is World Magazine. It's a bi-weekly news magazine akin to Time or Newsweek, but written with a Christian perspective.

http://www.worldmag.com/index.cfm