Menu

What is the best way to strengthen fraction skills?

Mommy7

I've got MUS Epsilon, so I'm thinking we may use that.

I've never used the "Key to..." series. Is that a good one?

I'm not too sure about LOF. I don't know if I want to start a new curriculum. I started so many new things this year that I'm sort of burned out on starting new things. ;)

Is there something else out there in curriculum world that is easy to implement and hopefully somewhat independent?

I have LoF fractions and love it. The story format is different and I like the way it explains things. The Key to.... series is very small increments of information and work. I've heard great things, but the first two fractions books are sitting on my shelf so I can't say more than that. If you are tired of new things, go with MUS first and if after 6 week you still need more fractions, then try Fred.

I've got MUS Epsilon, so I'm thinking we may use that.

I've never used the "Key to..." series. Is that a good one?

I'm not too sure about LOF. I don't know if I want to start a new curriculum. I started so many new things this year that I'm sort of burned out on starting new things. ;)

Is there something else out there in curriculum world that is easy to implement and hopefully somewhat independent?

My boys love Fred. They're doing 1-2 lessons/week in Fractions as a supplement and they aren't happy when I leave the little fellow off the schedule.

We play a pizza game (something I bought at a teacher's store) and use visuals and manipulatives. I also bought another fraction game and throw in my own word problems so each kid is doing his age appropriate work.

For texts, Saxon is our spine and we supplement w/MUS right now.

I used LOF a bit, but didn't like it b/c I thought the instruction was insufficient. My kids loved it, and I'll revisit it this summer.

Laura

We're using Key to Fractions with great success. Ds is doing 2-4 pages per day, depending on his workload, and he's advancing in leaps and bounds. We went from, "I can't do this, Mom," to "This is easy!"

It's incremental and has tons of practice problems. As we advance through the booklets, I let him do every other problem. When we hit a bump, we hunker down and do every problem until we understand the concept perfectly. This strategy has worked very well for us, and the Key to series lends itself very well to it.

My son is using R&S Math and he's doing well, but I don't feel as though his understanding of fractions is where I want it to be. We have been doing LOF on Fridays, and it's a fun break, but I don't think it's greatly increasing his understanding.

I have MUS epsilon and am considering using it, like you, but am reluctant to add in a whole second program. I'm just not sure it's necessary. Maybe the Key To Fractions books would be worth taking a look at?

Lisa