Menu

Four police officers were shot point-blank today in my hometown...

This morning while I was attending church a few miles away from my parents' home in Lakewood (near Tacoma, where I grew up), four police officers were executed ~ shot point-blank at a coffee shop, prior to the start of their shift. They were friends and colleagues of my brother, a long-time sheriff's deputy and police officer. I'm not sure why I'm posting, or what there is to say. Just...pray for this community. For the family and friends of the victims. And yes, for the perpetrator, who has yet to be apprehended.

We heard about that in church this morning (in Kent). It's been a sad year for police officers in this area. I am so grateful for everyone who works so hard to keep us safe, and am heartbroken for their families. And praying that the shooter(s) are caught very soon.

This is one of my worst fears as a cop's wife. These officers weren't doing anything risky -- not serving a warrant, apprehending a criminal, clearing a house, even making a traffic stop. They were just officers in uniform, targeted for who they are and what they do. I'm so, so sad for their families and their fellow officers.

This is one of my worst fears as a cop's wife. These officers weren't doing anything risky -- not serving a warrant, apprehending a criminal, clearing a house, even making a traffic stop. They were just officers in uniform, targeted for who they are and what they do. I'm so, so sad for their families and their fellow officers.
Exactly.

Our eldest is going to join the force after college...
I'll be surprised if one of my boys doesn't do the same. My second son in particular really looks up to my brother ~ and justifiably so. But going into law enforcement, one has to be well aware that while some people will view you as a hero, others will view you as a target. This tragedy is a case in point.

This morning while I was attending church a few miles away from my parents' home in Lakewood (near Tacoma, where I grew up), four police officers were executed ~ shot point-blank at a coffee shop, prior to the start of their shift. They were friends and colleagues of my brother, a long-time sheriff's deputy and police officer. I'm not sure why I'm posting, or what there is to say. Just...pray for this community. For the family and friends of the victims. And yes, for the perpetrator, who has yet to be apprehended.

My BIL is a Peirce County Deputy Sheriff who works in Lakewood. He worked with and knew the victims as well. We are praying.

My BIL is a Peirce County Deputy Sheriff who works in Lakewood. He worked with and knew the victims as well. We are praying.

My brother probably knows your BIL, at least in a round-about-fashion. Utlimately, this band of brothers (I suppose I should say siblings) are all connected.

There were two shooters for the original crime, right? Any information on whether they've found any leads on another suspect?

I heard about a second suspect in the initial reports early Sunday morning, but not since then.

I wonder if it was incorrectly reported in the confused early stages.

Friend, I am so sorry. This shooting has been so disturbing. I just grieve for the children of the slain. Their lives will never be the same again.

I'm so relieved he was caught, killed, and those who help him were apprehended.

I am not relieved that he was killed.

One of the most difficult things for many family members of murder victims is living with the unanswered question, "Why?"

I wish he'd been apprehended and gone to trial so there had been at least the possibility having that question answered for the husband, wives, children, parents and siblings of the police officers.

One of the most difficult things for many family members of murder victims is living with the unanswered question, "Why?"

I wish he'd been apprehended and gone to trial so there had been at least the possibility having that question answered for the husband, wives, children, parents and siblings of the police officers.

Oh, Crissy. :grouphug:

Even at a trial, is that question really answered? Or is it having the opportunity to ask the question that helps (if not heals)? Truly wondering.

Did you read this story?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091201/ap_on_re_us/us_officers_shot

It sounds like he was mentally imbalanced.

I know this is kind of thing has a very personal aspect to you. I am so sorry about your brother's murder.

I just spoke at length with my brother and from our perspective, the perp's death was a fitting ending to the situation. I truly believe it's for the best, and I don't think a protracted trial would be of any ultimate benefit for the friends and family of the victims.

Anyway. What an emotional week. I've slept a grand total of eight hours in the past three nights. This really hit me hard. It also increased my appreciation for and admiration of my brother. I am proud to know him and proud of the work he does.

Best to you, friend.