Menu

Essure- permanent birth control for women

Have any of you had this procedure done? My pastor's wife had it done a year ago and raves about it. No in patient surgery, not invasive, no cutting, no hormonal issues, etc. But she is the only one I know who has had this done. I'd like to hear from others who have done this as I am considering it myself. I don't like surgery so no tubal ligation for me besides I have heard bad things about tubals and no vasectomy for hubby for same reasons.

I don't know - DH had a completely uneventful vas. The key was to follow the doctor's orders: take the pain pills, lay on the couch w/ the bag of peas for 3 solid days, no sex for 2 weeks. He also had to "give a sample" to be checked prior to receiving the "all clear".

He had NO swelling, no complications - nothing. He was back running the 4th day after surgery. He inadvertently became the poster boy at his work: 3 other guys went in and had it done.

DH had the completely, utterly non-reversible one done: the cut both sides, took a piece out of the middle, cauterized the ends, and left the little clamps in place.

The whole thing took an hour.

a

Edited by asta

Have any of you had this procedure done? My pastor's wife had it done a year ago and raves about it. No in patient surgery, not invasive, no cutting, no hormonal issues, etc. But she is the only one I know who has had this done. I'd like to hear from others who have done this as I am considering it myself. I don't like surgery so no tubal ligation for me besides I have heard bad things about tubals and no vasectomy for hubby for same reasons.

I am considering this same thing after the baby arrives. I would also love to hear from anyone that has had this done.

OP, so it just blocks off your fallopian tubes? I don't see a downside, but just wait, I'm sure someone will ;)

I am sure they will. But I am not looking to debate birth control no birth control...this isn't asking for ethics. ;)

About vasectomies...I know they are much easier than a tubal. I do know of several people who had some problems with theirs...including my close friend whose husband still deals with swelling/inflammation and he had it done two years ago.

Oh and my pastor's wife said she felt a twinge (less than menstrual cramps) when it was done and it was about an hour or less and she was out the door and then went shopping. No need to rest.

And neither hubbs nor I are really interested in incisions at all if we can avoid it. Obviously if I hear bad things about Essure we will go the vasectomy route. Tubal is NOT an option.

Edited by the4Rs

I am sure they will. But I am not looking to debate birth control no birth control...this isn't asking for ethics. ;)

About vasectomies...I know they are much easier than a tubal. I do know of several people who had some problems with theirs...including my close friend whose husband still deals with swelling/inflammation and he had it done two years ago.

And neither hubbs nor I are really interested in incisions at all if we can avoid it. Obviously if I hear bad things about Essure we will go the vasectomy route. Tubal is NOT an option.

Lol, I just meant that it cannot be perfect, someone will know some reason why this is NO GOOD ;)

Dh has a friend at work who got his stuff snipped about a year ago... he's still has problems with pain (which means there's been a drastic cut in happy happy fun time, iykwIm). His doctor (who is no help) said this happens once every so often, he's sorry, but there's nothing to be done :001_huh: Needless to say, you could not PAY dh to get a v.

I've had it done. It was several years ago now, and I'm *SO* glad I did it.

I didn't know anyone who'd had it done either, but took the plunge anyway because the studies showed such positive results. I searched the provider list on the website, took note of the doctors in my area who do the procedure, and then called each of them and asked how many they had performed.

I chose the doctor with the best reputation and the highest level of experience with the procedure. It also happened to be the doc that my midwife works with, and my midwife actually stayed with me to observe the process. I didn't want it done in the doctor's office :eek: because there is some anesthesia involved and I preferred to be at the hospital.

I went to the hospital in the morning, slept through the procedure, and was out of there before lunchtime, walking easily to the car (and stopping to do grocery shopping on the way home!). I was able to go home and follow my normal routine, though on the 3rd day I had a minor back ache and a tiny bit of cramping. Other than that, I've never had any side effects or problems at all.

One thing that may be a concern...the protocol calls for a hysterosalpingogram (? sorry, I don't know if i have that right...) after a certain amount of time, to confirm that the tubes are really blocked. It's the test where they blow dye through the tubes. When I asked the doctor about the test, he told me that it didn't hurt a bit. At all. Well, that's not what gals who've had the test have told me. In fact, even a woman who's a doctor told me that she routinely told patients that the test didn't hurt--until she had one of her own. She said she cried all the way home.

I opted out of that test, mostly because I'm a wuss, but also because the stakes were not that high for me. While my dh and I felt fairly sure that our 5 babies in 7 years was enough, we also would have been fine if one more showed up, kwim? If it's very important that you not become pregnant, you need to go ahead and have that test.

Even without the test, it's been years for me and I've not become pregnant. Clearly with my track record, I'd have been pregnant by now if it had not worked. :D

My experience was extremely positive. :)

If you have any specific questions that I haven't answered, let 'em fly! I'll do my best to answer.

I went in to get Essure, but came out with an IUD instead.

Some things I didn't like about Essure is the unpredictability of it. They insert the device, and you wait for a month while scar tissue builds up around it. The scar tissue blocks off the tube. But, what if your body doesn't make enough scar tissue, or it builds up in a way that doesn't completely close off the tube. Or, what if your body produces too much scar tissue, and it spreads out and causes adhesions and other problems outside the tubes? And, what if you change your mind? At least with a tubal ligation, there is still usable tube left that can be (theoretically) reconnected. With Essure, there is so much scar tissue, I don't know that there would be enough tube to do a reversal, if you ever wanted to.

I chose an IUD instead. I'm only about 5 years (maybe less, the way things are going) away from menopause. The IUD will last 10 years (I chose the non-hormonal type -- Paraguard). Insertion was an easy in-office procedure. If I change my mind (highly unlikely), I can have it removed and be back in the baby-making business immediately. Assuming I don't change my mind, I'll leave it in through my "change", and have it removed a few years down the road. It just made so much more sense for me, at this time in my life. I remember having objections to IUDs when I was younger (and they were looked down on in this country). But, those concerns have either ceased to exist, or were unfounded in the first place. I chose to try the less invasive approach first, with the thought that I could go back and do the Essure if the IUD didn't work out.

I've had my IUD for 2 1/2 years now, and I love it. It causes me no problems. I scarcely know is there (that reminds me, I need to check my strings to make sure it's still there!) :)

I know you weren't asking about IUDs, but you did ask for reasons not to get Essure, and the availability of the IUD was my main reason.

(ETA: I feel a need to clarify that I didn't *literally* walk in to get Essure and walked out with an IUD. I went in to the OB/GYN to get information about Essure. I came out that day with information about Essure *and* IUDs. I then thought about it and talked with dh for a few days, and then made an appointment with a midwife to get the IUD. The whole process took awhile. It wasn't an instantaneous decision).

Edited by Suzanne in ABQ

One thing that may be a concern...the protocol calls for a hysterosalpingogram (? sorry, I don't know if i have that right...) after a certain amount of time, to confirm that the tubes are really blocked. It's the test where they blow dye through the tubes. When I asked the doctor about the test, he told me that it didn't hurt a bit. At all. Well, that's not what gals who've had the test have told me. In fact, even a woman who's a doctor told me that she routinely told patients that the test didn't hurt--until she had one of her own. She said she cried all the way home.

That test would be a big drawback for me. I had it done when I was having trouble getting prego before I had ds. EVERYONE says it does not hurt, UNLESS they have had it done. No the pain doesn't last long, but for a few moments, you will think you are about to die.

They insert the device, and you wait for a month while scar tissue builds up around it. The scar tissue blocks off the tube. But, what if your body doesn't make enough scar tissue, or it builds up in a way that doesn't completely close off the tube. Or, what if your body produces too much scar tissue, and it spreads out and causes adhesions and other problems outside the tubes? And, what if you change your mind? At least with a tubal ligation, there is still usable tube left that can be (theoretically) reconnected. With Essure, there is so much scar tissue, I don't know that there would be enough tube to do a reversal, if you ever wanted to.

I just wanted to address the issue of scarring, since I was concerned about that too. According to Essure, the statistics regarding the scarring are overwhelmingly positive, and my doc had kept records with the numbers for the procedures he had done. He'd had no misplaced devices, and none of the hundreds he'd done had failed to be blocked within 12 weeks. It's true that Essure is *not* reversible, so if you're not sure, it's definitely better to pick another method. In comparison to standard tubal ligation though, Essure typically produces much less scarring overall, since there's no cutting, no stitching, etc.

That test would be a big drawback for me. I had it done when I was having trouble getting prego before I had ds. EVERYONE says it does not hurt, UNLESS they have had it done. No the pain doesn't last long, but for a few moments, you will think you are about to die.

Gosh Melissa, I'm so sorry! :sad: One of the things that may make the test after Essure not-so-bad is that I've heard that they increase the pressure of the dye if it's a case involving infertility, because sometimes forcing the dye can clear the tube just a bit. For confirmation of Essure, the pressure is supposed to be gentler.

Hmmmm...on the surface, I can't see any problems with the procedure other than the same problems that are associated with IUDs (improper placement, rejection by your body, small risk of infection at insertion....) Some people may not tolerate it well, it could cause unmanageable menstrual cramps because the body is trying to force out the foreign object. I would definitely consider this procedure but I am on my third IUD so I know I tolerate this type of birth control well.

I LOVE my IUD! :lol: No hormones (I cannot use hormonal birth control methods), very little maintenance (just check the strings once a month, I do it after my period ends each month), its effectiveness rating is within 1% of tubals and vasectomies. I have the Paraguard, hormone free and lasts for 10 years. I paid out of pocket for it (about $600 once I negociated with the OB office) and then to my surprise, my current insurance company reimbursed me in full for it! :clap: I still think $600 for 10 years worth of bc is a good deal though. ;) I have had 3, first one I got 6 weeks postpartum after my now 8yo dd. Had that one removed 3.5 years later to get pregnant with next dd. Insurance paid 100%, no out of pocket for both insertion and removal. Got pregnant 5 months after removal and opted to have another one inserted post partum. It's a long story but the dr who inserted this one didn't know what she was doing ( could tell during the procedure, it didn't not go nearly as well or as smoothly as the first one). I was sick with several health problems that they swore up and down could not be IUD related starting the day after it was inserted. After almost a year of unexplained health problems and nothing was working to fix it, I requested they remove the IUD just to see if maybe it could be the problem. They didn't think it would help but since I requested it, they did it and all my health problems disappeared. :glare: Got pregnant while looking into IUD alternatives. Decided to have a different doctor at a different practice insert another IUD after ds was born and I have been happy as a clam ever since. Don't plan to have any more kids so this IUD will be staying in until 2018. ;)

I would imagine Essure would have the same or similar pros and cons. I'm going to consider it instead of another IUD when I need to replace this one. ;)

I just wanted to address the issue of scarring, since I was concerned about that too. According to Essure, the statistics regarding the scarring are overwhelmingly positive, and my doc had kept records with the numbers for the procedures he had done. He'd had no misplaced devices, and none of the hundreds he'd done had failed to be blocked within 12 weeks. It's true that Essure is *not* reversible, so if you're not sure, it's definitely better to pick another method. In comparison to standard tubal ligation though, Essure typically produces much less scarring overall, since there's no cutting, no stitching, etc.

I hadn't considered the scarring with a tubal. All the pictures just show a nice clean cut. I was thinking about the type where they put a clip over the tube ends to seal them. My friend had that done and has gotten pregnant twice since then! :)

I would wonder what it's made of. Foreign objects in the body worry me a little. The body often does whatever it can to get rid of them.

I've heard it compared to having a pin inserted to set a broken arm--very few problems. I was a little concerned because I have allergic skin reactions to many things, but it has been fine.

I would wonder what it's made of. Foreign objects in the body worry me a little. The body often does whatever it can to get rid of them.

What are the micro-inserts made of? The micro-inserts are made from polyester fibers and metals (nickel-titanium and stainless steel). These materials have been studied and used in the heart and other areas of the human body (e.g., heart valve replacements, blood vessel grafts, and abdominal repair) for many years.

I had that done and fell for the line that my Doctor gave me that said it would be uncomfortable. It was the most painful thing I ever encountered and it took me a while to recover enough to even walk out of the hospital. I had pain for several hours afterward.

Sorry, I have no experience with the Essure but I know that if the hysterosalpingogram was part of the protocol, there is no chance that I would ever do it.

For the record, I had the hysterosalpingogram for fertility issues, and I only had some very brief pain (the whole thing was just a few minutes), but really it wasn't that bad. I was more scared than anything. So I guess it just depends on the person's body and perhaps how skilled the administrator of the test is.

Sorry, I have no experience with the Essure but I know that if the hysterosalpingogram was part of the protocol, there is no chance that I would ever do it.

Uggh. Now I'm starting to rethink my decision. Just when I thought I had it all worked out.

No one at the doctors office mentioned pain or even slight discomfort!

It's really no less invasive (from your body's perspective) then a tubal or vas would be.

The plastic is inserted and it becomes permanent b/c your body forms significant scar tissue around the plastic inserts.

"During the 3 months following the procedure, your body and the micro-inserts work together to form a natural barrier that prevents sperm from reaching the egg."

This is code for 'your body is healing and recoving from the procedure for 3 months, during which time, scar tissue is forming. that scar tissue, fully enveloping the plastic inserts will block of your fallopian tubes".

Truly I'm not opposed to the procedure. However, the euphemisic language they use is a bit laughable. The trauma to your body is similar to a tubal done trans vaginally....they require similar local anesthetic and have similar downtime involved.

I guess the one issue that worries me with the essure it simply leaving the implant in. Any implant, in the future, during times of decreased immune function, other illness etc, becomes a site that's at risk for various opportunistic infections. If I had to choose one, i'd probably go with a ligation....but I'm not entirely sure. More research would be required.

Having said that, I'd never do either of them. Ever. Never. My husband had a vasectomy and there is *no way* on earth that after having respsonsibility for birth control, pregnancy and nursing (9 years of nursing total) *no way* that the responsibility would be mine for permanent birth control and the risks and benefits that came with it. So he had a vasectomy and thank goodness, was willing to do so.

K

I am on my third Mirena IUD and am really happy with it. I asked here about ligation a while back and the ladies helped me to realise that I was really happy with the Mirena and should get another one. It's hormonal, but the hormones are just localised to the womb - I don't have any side effects.

I love the fact that I have almost no periods (a little spotting occasionally) but that it can be removed if something is not working right. When I go through menopause, it will be taken out and that's that.

Laura

You all have given me much to think about. I appreciate the encouragment to find out how many essure procedures a doctor has performed. Never thought about that. Good point.

I have never really considered an IUD. But I will research more about them too. Ok I am going to ask some questions that might be TMI for some people and I am sorry for that but:

Those with IUD's keep mentioning checking the strings once a month. What does that mean? And do you have to reach way up inside to feel it. Has anyone not ever felt it? And what about your tea life...do you feel the strings during intercourse?

Thanks

I have never really considered an IUD. But I will research more about them too. Ok I am going to ask some questions that might be TMI for some people and I am sorry for that but:

Those with IUD's keep mentioning checking the strings once a month. What does that mean? And do you have to reach way up inside to feel it. Has anyone not ever felt it? And what about your tea life...do you feel the strings during intercourse?

Thanks

They usually disappear up into the cervix, so they can't be felt any longer. This is because, yes, for us the strings get in the way.

This does mean that theoretically the IUD could be expelled and I could be left unprotected because I can't check the strings. However the Mirena stops my periods, so if I suddenly had my periods return, then I would have a pretty big clue that something had gone wrong. My doctors agreed that losing the device was a remote chance and they were quite happy to proceed with 'hiding' the strings.

Best wishes

Laura

I don't think I would get the Essure, mostly because it is more invasive than an IUD and I swore after my current Mirena was inserted, I'd never do that again because it HURT. If I'm going to experience that kind of pain, I'd better get a clear reward for it, like, oh, a baby or something! It might have been because the doc was a bit inexperienced with them (I had it done at the campus clinic right before I graduated from university, and they had to special order it because it's not the most common/popular choice amongst college students, but she also practiced somewhere else), or maybe just because of how my body is.

Anyway, when this IUD comes out, I'm done with B/C. DH can get a vas when our family is complete, or if I wind up with more c-sec's I might have them do a tubal while they're in there (if I hit like 3 or 4 C-sections...I want at least 4 children, but not thrilled about the notion of having all that surgery, so hopefully I'll be able to VBAC, since the reason for DD's C-sec had nothing to do with my physiology).

I'm going to be a total wet blanket here.

I would be concerned about anything that causes scarring. I have abdominal adhesions that doctors cannot figure out where they came from. I also have scar tissue from my gall bladder surgery 11 years ago that still causes me pain. I have sharp pains from the removal of an ovary from scar tissue. My experience with doctors is that they gloss over potential side effect, especially if they consider them to be rare. If you scar easily, I would not do this.

The Mirena releases progesterone into the uterus. Progesterone is a calming hormone. I had problems with my Mirena (bleeding that just wouldn't let up) and had it removed. Within a short time I suffered a nervous breakdown. Several doctors I spoke with tied it to the Mirena removal when they heard the time line. My system basically crashed after the removal and my menopausal system had to work overtime to compensate for the sudden loss of progesterone. I have had other doctors tell me they are suspicious that the hormones just stay in the uterus.

As for the vas, dh had one done. They are almost always done on a Friday. he babied himself for the weekend and was fine on Monday. Easy peasy. Far less risk than a tubal for me, which was one reason he wanted him to get the snip. Also, at the time, he said that if something happened to him and I remarried, he wanted me to have the opportunity to have more children.

You all have given me much to think about. I appreciate the encouragment to find out how many essure procedures a doctor has performed. Never thought about that. Good point.

Thanks

My strings are about a centimeter long. There are two of them, and they curl flat around the cervix. I believe they're made of some sort of plastic. They don't bother either of us at all during intercourse.

Yes, I have to reach in there to feel for them. This is easiest to do sitting up (on the throne). It's difficult to do lying down because the cervix falls back and up, and I can't reach it very easily. Feeling for the strings is kind of gross, but not painful or dangerous.

Concerns about Essure would be the scarring factor.

However, I would choose it over an IUD any day due to how the IUD works (abortifacient).

Actually, only Mirena is an abortifacient (due to the hormones.) The Paraguard (aka copper T) works by damaging the sperm. Recent testing(in the last ten years or so) has shown that the spontaneous abortion (aka miscarriage) rate in women with the copper T is the same as in women using no birth control at all.

My strings are about a centimeter long. There are two of them, and they curl flat around the cervix. I believe they're made of some sort of plastic. They don't bother either of us at all during intercourse.

Yes, I have to reach in there to feel for them. This is easiest to do sitting up (on the throne). It's difficult to do lying down because the cervix falls back and up, and I can't reach it very easily. Feeling for the strings is kind of gross, but not painful or dangerous.

Have never checked a single strong (and won't ever do that!). Had an IUD for 5 years and had it removed with no trouble whatsoever.

Actually, only Mirena is an abortifacient (due to the hormones.) The Paraguard (aka copper T) works by damaging the sperm. Recent testing(in the last ten years or so) has shown that the spontaneous abortion (aka miscarriage) rate in women with the copper T is the same as in women using no birth control at all.

Even if it's the same rate, I would not use something that would disrupt the growth or attachment of a conceived child should the primary intent of the device fail. Those are the secondary (back up) intents of the device.