Menu

True Southern biscuits, please

jenL

My family makes biscuits like Alton Brown. My mother/grandmother didn't have a recipe, but I found one from America's Test Kitchens that is just right: 4 c. self-rising flour, 2 c. buttermilk, 1 c. shortening. We pinch off pieces of dough and roll them, put them on the baking sheet, press them down with the backs of our fingers, and dab the top of each one with buttermilk. It's a very messy business.:D

My recipe:

**don't measure anything-- really, don't, it comes out better that way LOL

pour some all purpose flour in a bowl ( maybe a couple of cups)

add a spoonful of baking powder, some salt, mix it up

(you can add a little sugar if you like, we don't but some people do)

add a big glob of shortening (or butter, margarine, oil...) and mash it up with a fork till it's got pea sized lumps

stir in enough milk (or butter milk) to make a batter.

roll it out on a floured surface, cut out biscuits and bake on a cast iron griddle. You could also put a good bit of oil (maybe 1/2"?) in a cast iron skillet and bake them, they'll turn out spongy and really good.

My recipe:

add a big glob of shortening (or butter, margarine, oil...) and mash it up with a fork till it's got pea sized lumps

roll it out on a floured surface, cut out biscuits and bake on a cast iron griddle. You could also put a good bit of oil (maybe 1/2"?) in a cast iron skillet and bake them, they'll turn out spongy and really good.

This is pretty much what I do as far as ingredients and measurements. Instead of rolling out the dough, I drop spoonfuls onto a baking sheet and bake. YUMMY!

Many people will tell you that the most important factor is using a low-protein southern flour like Lily White. I don't even try to make biscuits using regular flour. Use the right flour, use good buttermilk, and don't over-mix. And use a good, sharp biscuit cutter. If find that a glass just don't give me the same biscuit - something dull will press the dough down and produce something flatter.

My grandmother's recipe is White Lily self-rising flour, buttermilk and either lard or a part animal/part vegetable shortening. She uses about a golf-ball size of shortening to a cup of buttermilk, making a well in the center of the flour. Just mash the buttermilk and shortening around in the flour until you end up with a workable dough. She cuts the biscuits out with an old vienna sausages can. I think she bakes them at around 400 or 450 degrees. I know it doesn't sound like much of a recipe, but that's what she does :)

My recipe:

This is the way my Mississippi grandma made them. Only she stirred with her fingers, not a fork. :D