Menu

Homeschool laws in SC or NC? Friendly? Not?

We are very likely going to be moving..somewhere...eventually. Dh is looking for work wherever he can find it...work that pays more and is less stressful and more fulfilling. He needs a change. We'd like to move south, or southwest. I told him I would not move to a state that has rigorous hs laws. We are in PA and they are bad enough with their requirements. I see that NC and SC actually fall under the "moderate" category while PA is in the "strict" category. Odd. From what I read, SC sounded very demanding...having parents test before they can homeschool? Home visits? Can anyone tell me about their own experiences? Thanks!

All I have to do is send in proof of my college BA and a form that says I am homeschooling and lists my children. I haven't heard from the state in seven years of homeschooling. I have to keep attendance records and administered a yearly standardized test, but I have never been asked to send those things in. They do send out a form of some sort once a year allowing parents to opt to send them in rather than be visited, but I never send them in and have never had a visit.

We don't have access to the schools though. I know some jurisdictions allow students to take certain electives at the school. We don't have that.

I will say that one good thing about Charlotte is that all the kids seem to go to different schools. We live in a neighborhood with maybe 15 children in the age group of my kids that I know personally - 11 - 13 year olds. Between them, I can think of eight different schools they attend. We have neighborhood public schools and schools people lottery into. We have a variety of private secular schools and church schools. Honestly, I don't feel weird homeschooling, and it means we aren't the "odd man out" in the neighborhood. Most of the kids go to school apart from their best buddies, and it makes the neighborhood nice in a way.

You'd find NC a breeze after PA.

As Danestress said, the law is pretty simple; however, the Department of Non Public Education (DNPE) has caused hsers lots of grief over the last few years because they continually overstep their legal authority in wanting more accountabilty from hsers than the law requires. If you move there, know the law and obey the law, and be ready to refuse to do more than that.

To echo what has been said - it's easy. I had to fill out a little form when we started, send in a copy of my diploma (high school would do but I could only find college), and name my school. I have to maintain shot records and attendance records at home. I have to administer a yearly standardized test. Last year I did the test at home and it was soo easy! But I want my girls in National Honor Society and they require group testing. :glare:

In 4 years of home schooling, no one has called or visited me.

We homeschool in South Carolina under Option 3. I registered with a homeschool association having over 50 members, and sent them proof of my having a high school diploma along with a list of school books for the required subjects of math, language arts, science, and social studies (there are more required subjects at the high school level) At the end of each year I send in two grade reports and a statement saying we homeschooled for 180 days; I think we also have to resubmit the list of programs used. The association reports all the information to the state for us; we have had no contact with anyone from the state, and no contact with the association unless we initiate it. We have to keep a portfolio with samples of school work, but we don't have to show it to anyone. We do not have to test.

It isn't that bad. Not particularly great, but not bad.

I registered in SC under Option 3, as well. It really depends which organization you use. You can choose any in the state- it doesn't have to be one nearest.

All I had to do was fill out one form stating the grade levels I'm teaching, and check the 180 days that I taught. (One form for the entire family!)

I have to keep a "lesson plan" of sorts and a portfolio of work, but I don't have to show it to anyone. If you use SL, WP, or nything like that, then the plan they send is all you need.

PM me if you want the name of the organization I use. They can send you more info. Also, if you want school district info for the midlands, I'll be happy to help! (I think your dh is a teacher?)

. From what I read, SC sounded very demanding...having parents test before they can homeschool? Home visits? Can anyone tell me about their own experiences? Thanks!

Not true.

There are 3 options in SC.

Option 1 is through the district with district oversight. Haven't met anyone using this.

Option 2 is through SCAIHS (based in Columbia): http://www.scaihs.org/

You can read requirements on their site. Not bad & you get extra help - but relatively pricey and they do require standardized testing from Grades 3 onward. I think I'll use them for high school though...

Option 3 is join a group that has over 50 members. Each group has different requirements. The one I use doesn't require me to send in anything other than a list of curriculum I used and a statement that I've met the legal requirements. You can find more info about some groups here.

In SC you need to teach 180 days, cover certain subjects (K-6: reading, writing, math, science, social studies... I think you add in composition & grammar in 7th but I'm not certain). You're responsible for keeping a portfolio of student work and a record of what you did.

Pretty easy overall.

We are very likely going to be moving..somewhere...eventually. Dh is looking for work wherever he can find it...work that pays more and is less stressful and more fulfilling. He needs a change. We'd like to move south, or southwest. I told him I would not move to a state that has rigorous hs laws. We are in PA and they are bad enough with their requirements. I see that NC and SC actually fall under the "moderate" category while PA is in the "strict" category. Odd. From what I read, SC sounded very demanding...having parents test before they can homeschool? Home visits? Can anyone tell me about their own experiences? Thanks!

SC sounds demanding if you follow option 1. But home visits are illegal even though some will try it. The parent testing issue was defeated a number of years ago. Option 1 allows you to use the school distirct and they are the strictest option as well as the one that varies the most depending upon where you move to. Option 2 is under SCHAIS and is much like Option 1 but is completely private. Option 3 varies depending upon what group you pick. Some are very restricted and some are only the basics required by law. None are supposed to turn in any info to the state except the grade level and number of children in that grade level and the number of days attended. In reality it's pretty simple, keep a grade book/lesson planner, attendance sheet, and samples of work for a portfolio.

Thanks everyone...I'll tell dh to add SC and NC to the top of his list. Sounds much easier than PA actually. I think I'd choose Option 3 in SC and be in a group like that...it is somewhat like what MD has, an "umbrella group". My friends in MD don't seem to mind that set-up at all and cringe when I tell them about the hoops I jump through in PA. The good thing is...I have a very, very laid back (unschooling) evaluator. We always "pass" with flying colors with her.

• 12 years later...
On 11/13/2009 at 7:45 AM, Jan in SC said:

I registered in SC under Option 3, as well. It really depends which organization you use. You can choose any in the state- it doesn't have to be one nearest.

All I had to do was fill out one form stating the grade levels I'm teaching, and check the 180 days that I taught. (One form for the entire family!)

I have to keep a "lesson plan" of sorts and a portfolio of work, but I don't have to show it to anyone. If you use SL, WP, or nything like that, then the plan they send is all you need.

PM me if you want the name of the organization I use. They can send you more info. Also, if you want school district info for the midlands, I'll be happy to help! (I think your dh is a teacher?)

Hey, I would love the name of your association. We just moved from NC to SC. I want the lowest cost, least involved association possible 😁