Menu

History of US

hsmom

Can they be used alone or are they more of a supplement?

You can use them alone.... you might find you will want to supplimet just for enjoyment maybe... like movies or other books, but yes they can be used alone. I think...

Hope you get a little more feedback!:001_smile:

Well I would be using them for a 5th grader that is almost 12 also. So, do you think the content is alright for that age or should I wait a little while?

His reading level is low. So, I don't want to get something that will fly over his head.

and as she is a strong reader, the reading level was fine. THe information was a bit overwhelming. I do think had she been a bit older she would have gotten more out of it. We use them w/ the cyber we were a part of. Personally, I really enjoyed them! I read them ahead of her just b/c! I would have like a more Biblical view, but all in all...good books. I'd use them again. Joy Hakin does have teacher materials out...tests/worksheets/etc. I think. My dh actually met her at one of his conferences and she gave him and the other participants a bunch of the teacher manuals, transparencies, etc.

I think they're excellent. They're *packed* with information, which can get overwhelming. But they're very narrative in style and I'm enjoying them tremendously. My 4th grader likes them a lot too -- but he's a strong student, and even so I can certainly see that (while I think they're worthwhile right now), he would get even more from them later on. In fact, we may reuse them in a few years as well.

We used them with our oldest. We are more liberatarian in our political views (she is pretty obvious where she stands on many issues), but overall it is a very conversational, interesting, fun series.

Our library has the audio versions, and I may just check them out for fun.

I used them for my eldest and will continue to use them.

I spread them out quite a bit (2 years) as we were doing a lot of American Lit, and Am. Gov't in conjunction with them.

Also, I added historical fiction / biographies, etc. to go along with.

I have a schedule posted on my blog (under schedules). . .

Since they are *so* highly recommended by all the "literature-based" history gurus, I tried to use them twice (selling after each time). I am no longer tempted... :-)

They are a bright, colorful narrative; We could live with the bias (pointing it out, of course). What my kids *didn't* like: 1. the jerky feel--too many sidebars detracting from the flow; and 2. the uneven coverage--minor events/peoples treated like major events/people.

We *have* liked This Country of Ours (available to view online at http://www.mainlesson.com, also available to purchase at their sister site). This is also a well-written narrative that definitely sidesteps the "jerky" feel but is still prone (as most narratives are) to linger on unessentials... This is my text of choice for upper elementary/jr. high US history.

HTH,