Menu

My turn for a would you eat this ?

I used the crockpot to start cooking a large roast during the night so it'd be done by lunch. The crockpot went off during the night. Roast isn't done and I'm not sure how long the crockpot was off.

Would you finish cooking it (not knowing how long it was in crockpot without cooking) or throw it out? I'm pretty sure it needs to go but interested in what the hive might say.

I would continue to cook it and eat it as long as you can get it up to a good temperature to kill the bacteria.

Some pathogens (staph aureus, e. coli) can produce heat stable toxins. While the pathogens would be killed by high temperatures, if present, they've been sitting there for hours producing toxins that won't be affected by cooking.

I'd toss.

Some pathogens (staph aureus, e. coli) can produce heat stable toxins. While the pathogens would be killed by high temperatures, if present, they've been sitting there for hours producing toxins that won't be affected by cooking.

I'd toss.

Interesting. What kind of toxins?

My family has never had any issues. We take care of our food like grandma did. I use wooden cutting boards and I cook my stuffing inside our bird. We haven't had any problems, but then again I am starting with high quality meats directly from an organic farm. The FDA doesn't want people washing chickens before they cook them anymore.:tongue_smilie: That is just plain gross.

Interesting. What kind of toxins?

My family has never had any issues. We take care of our food like grandma did. I use wooden cutting boards and I cook my stuffing inside our bird. We haven't had any problems, but then again I am starting with high quality meats directly from an organic farm. The FDA doesn't want people washing chickens before they cook them anymore.:tongue_smilie: That is just plain gross.

Staph aureus can produce an enterotoxin called staph enterotoxin B (SEB) which is heat stable.

Certain serotypes of E. coli can produce several different enterotoxins, some of which are heat stable and some are heat labile. There is a list of the actual toxins here, although the names don't mean anything to me.

The E. coli O157:H7 that has caused several well known dangerous outbreaks is killed by cooking, so that one isn't a concern.

Bacillus cereus also produces a heat stable toxin, but it's usually associated with starchy foods like rice, and not usually meats.

I don't know what percentage of meats are contaminated with any of these organisms. Certainly it isn't present in all meat. I believe that small farm meats are less likely to be contaminated than meat that comes from a factory farm, but I can't back that up with data.

It's all about how much risk someone is willing to accept. I'm not much of a risk taker.:D

Staph aureus can produce an enterotoxin called staph enterotoxin B (SEB) which is heat stable.

Certain serotypes of E. coli can produce several different enterotoxins, some of which are heat stable and some are heat labile. There is a list of the actual toxins here, although the names don't mean anything to me.

The E. coli O157:H7 that has caused several well known dangerous outbreaks is killed by cooking, so that one isn't a concern.

Bacillus cereus also produces a heat stable toxin, but it's usually associated with starchy foods like rice, and not usually meats.

I don't know what percentage of meats are contaminated with any of these organisms. Certainly it isn't present in all meat. I believe that small farm meats are less likely to be contaminated than meat that comes from a factory farm, but I can't back that up with data.

It's all about how much risk someone is willing to accept. I'm not much of a risk taker.:D

Here's a table of bacterial food borne pathogens.

Channeling PSarah....

:tongue_smilie:"I would not eat it in a box,

I would not eat it here or there,

I would not eat it anywhere."

Glad to hear you tossed it. We had a very long round of food poisoning a few years ago due to a faulty refrigerator thermometer. It was awful to say the least. I nearly wept as I tossed everything down to the pickles.