Menu

Anyone have digestion issues after gallbladder removal?

I had mine out in July and I have felt sick almost every day since. Bloated, weight gain. These last few weeks I have had diarrhea (sorry....) at night only, I am starting to be afraid of food! Stuff that you would think would be bad to eat - french fries - dont bother me, but pineapple for example, does. One day eggs might be ok, another day, no good. A glass of wine is a no-no, but one Mikes Hard Lemonade is ok. Ha ha. There is just no rhyme or reason...

How have YOU coped with your body after gallbladder removal??

I had mine out in 1995 and it took quite a while before I felt even remotely normal. I had to be careful of fatty foods or I spent way too much time in the bathroom. My body has adjusted, slowly, over time, but I still have to watch about eating too much fat at any one meal.

I know both of my sisters have the same type of issue as me, but have heard from other people who had issues more like yours. I think it's just a matter of figuring out what does and doesn't work for you. My one sister kept a food diary for about 6 months so she could figure it out.

... it took quite a while before I felt even remotely normal. I had to be careful of fatty foods or I spent way too much time in the bathroom. My body has adjusted, slowly, over time, but I still have to watch about eating too much fat at any one meal.

I know both of my sisters have the same type of issue as me, but have heard from other people who had issues more like yours. I think it's just a matter of figuring out what does and doesn't work for you. My one sister kept a food diary for about 6 months so she could figure it out.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I had mine out, oh, ten-ish years ago. I stopped eating to lose weight quickly, and no one told me that would give me gall stones. :D (Can you tell I wasn't too 'into' my health when I was 21? :tongue_smilie:)

Anyway, it does change things. Like a pp said, I think the best advice is just trial and error. See how your body reacts to different things. You'll learn what *to eat (and more likely, what to avoid eating, or at least avoid eating too *much of). :001_smile:

I have had ongoing problems since having my gallbladder removed. They are calling it IBS but it started just after my surgery. I have to be really careful about what I eat. One thing that is odd is that I cannot drink anything that is carbonated. AT ALL. It will set of an episode like you would not believe. I am on some medication for it but I still cannot eat many things. I have done research and a lot of IBS sufferers started having problems after their gallbladder was removed, but my doctor says there is no connection...???

I know lots of people who had their gallbladder out and had not issues. I also had no issues with mine.

Have you told you doctor (GP) about your issues? I would worry about pancreas problems or other issues.

Yes, they did a physical and I am SO looking forward to an endoscopy/colonoscopy next week :001_huh:.

I have a friend up the street who had his out and is feeling great! It took me about 6 weeks for the pain to go away - I dont do well with pain and recovery. And now, I dont do well just eating......and I am not overweight or anything!