Menu

stocking stuffer ideas??

I think everything else has been covered for this Christmas but stocking stuffers. :D When I was growing up, the stocking were our most favorite part of gift opening. My mom was so creative with ideas. I don't know if it's because she had all girls and I have all boys, but I am not near as awesome with the stockings as she was.

A few things I put in my boys' are character (Star Wars, Batman, Wii etc) undies or boxers (vs the plain white ones I buy any other time of the year), my oldest loves getting chapstick on a little clip, skull hats, individual packs of nuts, hot wheel cars, and some cool pencils. I can't even remember all that I put in their stockings last year!!

What do you put in your children's sockings?

Like you, we always have "fun" versions of everyday things like socks and underwear.

A family tradition (from my family) is that the toe of each stocking contains a new penny and a bag of chocolate coins.

Other ideas:

-small camping/ hiking equipment (like a compass or small flashlight)

-a small paperback book

-ribbon candy or candy cane

-play dough

-travel games

-fun dice (alphabet, math symbols, etc)

-cool toothbrush (my mom does this every year)

-character shampoo, conditioner, or toothpaste

-gift certificate for a favorite store, restaurant, or video/ game store

-fun pencils and erasers

-small notebook or receipt/order pad (you can find these in office supply stores)

We ALWAYS have a can of pringles in each stocking...tradition from dh's family.

My kids usually get a few chapter books/board book, CD, chapstick, new socks, new toothbrush, mechanical pencils (they love these), character underwear, matchbox cars, batteries.

We each also get a box of Sugar cereal from Santa--wrapped, but right next to the stocking. Kids think it's a great treat!

It will be great to see some new ideas!

In my kids' stockings, I have previously put:

DVDs

finger puppets

Chinese yo-yos

candy

playing cards/card games

puzzle books

punch-balls

paddle balls

jump ropes

bubble necklaces

Hot Wheels

stickers

gift cards

... I'm sure there have been other things but can't think of anything else right now...

Guest janainaz

I have boys (4 and 9).

-Electric Toothbrush

-Dollar bills and change inside a candy cane holder (for older ds)

-Hot Wheels

-Silly Puddy

-Key-chain flashlights

-Handheld games (Yahtzee, 20Q's, Solitaire)

-Card Games

-Guys (mini-action figures...)

-Candy

-Sunglasses

-Watch

-Movie Gift cards (they love getting gift cards)

-Special Christmas ornament (we have a collection)

they loved getting their own box of bandaids (with pictures on them, of course). I also do those little boxes of cereal (the sugary kinds that they never get any other time of year) and juice boxes.

It gets harder with teenagers - I tend to do a lot of food.

Interesting pens.

One year they got swirly glass pens that looked sort of like candy. Another year was a Cross pen and pencil set.

This year it will be either a calligraphy set or feather quills.

Our traditional candy is a chocolate orange in the toe of the stocking. YUM!

Because mine are all girls... they also get Burt's Bees cosmetics/skin care and a little jewelry.

Oh, and one wrapped gift from Santa... good thing he knows how much the girls love Barnes and Noble gift cards!! :D

My nephew enjoys getting a can of sardines!

Regards,

Kareni

My son would LOVE to get his own container of anchovies. We always have lots of Australian candy in the stockings. DD loves hair supplies, nail polish, lip gloss, bath beads, play jewelry, etc. DS loves bouncy balls, small cars, and anything weird and odd like polished rocks, figurines, anything science-related.

We've done a lot of what others have listed in the thread. Some of our oddities:

mini-staplers

scotch tape (their own to waste as they wish!)

electric toothbrushes (Pokemon, Spiderman)

Disney Princess, etc. toothpaste

I think it was the toothbrushes and toothpaste that brought our family's era of Santa belief to a close. I heard the kids discussing them after they'd opened the stockings "This wasn't from Santa. Santa wouldn't give me *toothpaste*."

Erica in OR

My mom would always put a Barbie coloring book, a big box of crayons, some cheap Avon kid holiday jewelry, and some lip balm - I LOVED IT!

My grandma always puts an apple, orange, banana, and some mixed nuts (in the shells), and a Hershey's bar. :)

For my kids, I'll probably do something similar.

When DD was younger, I put some Little People in there and I'll likely put a teether toy in youngest DS's stocking this year. ;)

My kids like those animals/figures that grow in water. You can find them at Michaels for about a $1 each. This year - my 20 year old is stationed in Alaska. So far, I have gotten him a penguin and a polar bear for Alaska. I also got him a panda because he has a strange panda obsession. I got my younger kids some too. I can't remember what kind though. They are easy, cheap and fun.

When the boys were younger I'd get them battery operated toothbrushes, a cool toothpaste, cool colored or textured pens/pencils, deck of cards for builing card houses, magic tricks, go fish etc., mc Donalds gift certificates, chocolate santas, pack of gum or mento's. Items that are useable and/or consumable and not just stuff that turns into clutter kwim. This year for the older 2 boys I will add axe spray they like, movie certificates. I found a bunch of hello kittys pencils, notebooks etc at target for $1 each and they also had ornaments filled with double bubble, tootsie rolls, smarties so I picked one up for each child to put in their stocking.

Edited by lynn

for my younger boys, things like matchbox cars, tattoos, stickers, mini snowglobes, gum, candy, sunglasses, lifesaver books (always), flashlights, handheld electronic games, playmobil or lego keychains, school/craft supplies, miniature Johnson and Johnson first aid kits (in travel section at any store), bubblegum flavored toothpaste (their favorite), new toothbrushes, wallets, coins/money, I can't think of everything, but I keep my eyes peeled all year long.

for my older boys, mostly candy, beef jerky, small boy scout and camping items, gift cards, itunes cards, watches, cds, card decks or small games, nice pens, individually foil-wrapped pieces of fudge, sugared pecans. You get the idea. Food is big for my big guys. I think this year, I'm going to redeem my huge stash of mycokerewards points for a load of coupons for free 20 oz. sodas. I'll hide a few of those in each boy's stocking. They love being able to get a soda at the store when we're running errands. I never let them because it's such a waste of money. They'll consider those coupons pure gold!