Menu

I need a few ideas for very low cost birthday...

party prize ideas. We are planning a backwards birthday party for our 11 yr.old ds. He has invited quite a few kids so we need to keep the costs down. We want to play games and give little prizes, but don't want the kids to be disappointed. I thought about candy bars, but I hate to give even more sugar. We are doing cake/ice cream and a pinata already. I can go to the dollar store etc. but would like to have a few things in mind before I head out. Any ideas? This is a hard age to cheap, but we need to.

Thanks,

Audra

party prize ideas. We are planning a backwards birthday party for our 11 yr.old ds. He has invited quite a few kids so we need to keep the costs down. We want to play games and give little prizes, but don't want the kids to be disappointed. I thought about candy bars, but I hate to give even more sugar. We are doing cake/ice cream and a pinata already. I can go to the dollar store etc. but would like to have a few things in mind before I head out. Any ideas? This is a hard age to cheap, but we need to.

Thanks,

Audra

Honestly? I would go with the candy bars and I wouldn't sweat it. If they were six, there would be many other things you could go with (stickers, matchbox cars, etc), but as you said, this age is hard enough to figure out without having a tiny price limit. Candy bars will go over well and they can be taken home to be eaten at a later date.

Barb

This year we had my son's 12YO b-day party. I reminded him how rarely generic b-day gifts were "just what he wanted," and he agreed; and so we made this a no-presents party. In return, we didn't give the kids anything. (I'm sure everyone was relieved.) The kids swam (obviously a summer party) at our house. We served homemade cake (which I decorated) and soda. I had chips, peanuts, carrot sticks, and grapes out on the table throughout the party. After the cake, some of the kids hung around and played computer games (together, on the big screen TV) until they had to leave. Everybody had a big time, and it didn't cost very much at all.

I wouldn't give out prizes for games at that age. I would also give them a lot of time to just hang and play.

Yep, most kids that age aren't really interested in games and prizes... unless it's a video game :glare:

If you have a group that will be an exception, though, and really want to play some games, then how about some gift cards with small amounts? (like $5) Maybe for a video store rental, movie theater, fast food restaurant, skate park, music downloads, or just a store like Walmart or Target?

I seriously doubt you'll find anything at a dollar store for this age group, except maybe candy.

just had another idea...

I remember a party that my DS went to last year. The guests were boys, ages 9-12. Most of them were scouts, so the party had a camping theme. They played a few games like having teams race to see who could get a tent up first and popped balloons with a blow dart gun. The prizes went along with the camping theme, too, like flash lights, beef jerky, etc. They roasted hot dogs and marshmallows over a fire....

Sorry, can't remember all the details but the party was a big hit.

Now I want smores. :tongue_smilie:

How about $2 bills folded inside little envelopes?

http://www.paper-source.com/cgi-bin/paper/color/10-string-amp;-button-envelopes/2506.001/111.html

Gag gifts like a fly in the ice cube

gum that turns your mouth blue

airplanes like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Hanger-Logo-Balsa-Wood-Glider/dp/B000MNM3JG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1255761835&sr=8-2

Edited by helena

Yup, favors to go with your theme are good. If there's no theme and it's just time to hang out, I'd seriously consider the no gifts, no prizes thing. If it was girls, you could do a craft they make together and get to take home, but I don't know the equivalent for boys. Maybe make birdhouses or something?

We thought it would be fun to pass out prizes of some sort due to the nature of the party theme. It is a backwards party... so everything is backwards. We will play the games the opposite of what you normally would. For example: instead of the winner being the one who hit the target in the center, the points are backwards, so the one farthest away gets the higher points. So we think it will add to the theme to give some little something. It will most likely be something they can eat. If anyone has any additional ideas I would love to hear them.

Thanks,

Audra

You can find lots of small packs of non-sugar treats right now due to halloween...little bags of pretzels, tiny microwave popcorns, etc. I have also seen some places (Dairy Queen? McDonalds?) selling coupon books for $1. The coupons are redeemable for an ice cream cone, etc. Hand out those individual coupons instead of the whole book and you have some inexpensive but neat treats! :001_smile:

I bought six-packs of the bottles of Orange & Grape Crush to hand out as a party favor before. (We never buy soda...but with it being in the bottles versus cans, my kids loved it even more). I also bought a package of crazy straws and tied one to each bottle with ribbon. I think it came to less than a dollar each. I've also done the big boxes of candy (like movie theater size) from Walmart (between 88 cents to a dollar)--just tied a ribbon around it. I put them all in a basket by the door, as they left, they choose one to take with them.

The backwards party sounds fun. Hmm...maybe you could attach a silly card to a treat that says, Welcome to the party, We hope you have fun. Or write Thanks for coming in backwards print. Or package the soda upside down in party favor bags. Or create your own label that says the name of the treat backwards...like HSURC for Crush.

Have fun!