Menu

Is there such a thing as a good vacuum cleaner?

For some reason my family has gone through a half a dozen vacuum cleaners within a decade. They all seem to die or lose suction power within 1-2 years. Is this just us, or have you also noticed that the quality of these machines has gone downhill?

smiley-chores009.gif

Maybe my problem is that I can't afford the really expensive brands. I don't know for sure, but I've had TERRIBLE luck with vacuums and it is driving me to frustration.

Right now I have an Electrolux lying in a heap on the living room floor and my floors are dirty. I bought it brand new just over a year ago (hence, no warranty), and it will no longer suck up dirt.

smiley-angry039.gif

I have wood floors and area rugs in most rooms, and we have an upstairs. I do not like upright models, but rather prefer to use a canister style vacuum. It needs to be powerful yet lightweight and easy to move around. Does anyone have a suggestion?

So is it me? Am I the death to vacuums, or do you have a similar problem?

Blessings,

Lucinda

We have wood floor too. My cleaners all use the cansister vaccums. I have noticed their vaccums need relacement every 3-6 months & they told me they use it once/twice a week only.

Canister type really cleans well though. I have upright with the suction hoses. Does not clean that well. My cleaners use the Yellow canister vaccum (non't know the brand) from Walmart. Seems to have lasted for 8 months now.

Maybe the canister type does not last long!

Edited by tarana

I think I am going back to bags. The filters in the canister style get soooo gross (we have pets and live on a gravel road). The canister vacuums we've had over the past six years (4 of them) all putter out and throw more dust around than they pick up. Needless to say, the dust bunnies are winning here!

I love my Oreck XL. I have had it for almost 5 1/2 years with no problems. I've never had the recommended tune-ups at the Oreck store (my Mom has) but have easily replaced the roller belt myself (spares come with the vacuum). There are so many Oreck stores now, too, so it's not difficult buying supplies like it may have been at one time.

ETA: we have both carpet and tile floors, and works well on both. There is a newer model that you can change the setting for carpet or tile (not sure what it does differently...) but my basic model has been great.

What price range are you looking for?

I will look it up on my Consumer Reports and let you know the highest rated for your range (the highest rated canister vac is $600, highest rated upright is $230).

I'd say the $200-300 range would be the most I would be willing to pay for a vacuum.

Thanks for looking it up!

Blessings,

Lucinda

My chihuahuas are fabulous at picking up junk off the floor. However, they leave behind dog hair in its place. Probably not what you're looking for though.

Nope, we've got a red-headed mutt that does a good enough job of shedding already. LOL!

Blessings,

Lucinda

I'd say the $200-300 range would be the most I would be willing to pay for a vacuum.

Thanks for looking it up!

Blessings,

Lucinda

For canister vacs, the highest rated at $300 is the kenmore progressive 27514 with a score of 70.

This vacuum got the second highest score in your range, 68.

http://www.amazon.com/Hoover-S3670-WindTunnel-Anniversary-Canister/dp/B0017YUX5A/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1255651657&sr=8-2

Both vacuums got an excellent rating for bare floors.

I've had good luck with Panasonics. I'm pretty sure the Kenmore Progressives in the US are Panasonics in disguise.

Last fall I bought a Sears vac in Cda & mine is definitely a Panasonic. It's my 2nd Panasonic - the old one is the downstairs vacuum now. I needed one that did bare floors and carpet since we ripped out the wall to wall carpet upstairs. Downstairs still has carpet....

the old one must be close to 10 yrs old & is still going strong. I have replaced belts a few times & I do take vacs apart every 6 mos or so & clean off the beater bar etc. Hair & gunk gets wound around it and eventually it will fry the motor if you don't clean it.

I've had good luck with Panasonics. I'm pretty sure the Kenmore Progressives in the US are Panasonics in disguise.

Last fall I bought a Sears vac in Cda & mine is definitely a Panasonic. It's my 2nd Panasonic - the old one is the downstairs vacuum now. I needed one that did bare floors and carpet since we ripped out the wall to wall carpet upstairs. Downstairs still has carpet....

the old one must be close to 10 yrs old & is still going strong. I have replaced belts a few times & I do take vacs apart every 6 mos or so & clean off the beater bar etc. Hair & gunk gets wound around it and eventually it will fry the motor if you don't clean it.

Good tip. I will keep that in mind. Do you know what model you have?

Blessings,

Lucinda

I have a Sears Kenmore canister vacuum that's lasted 10+ years so far!! I love it and at the time it was ranked very favorably by Consumer Reports. Of course that was 10 years ago and I can't vouch for the quality that they may be producing now. BTW this model still uses a vacuum bag. We use it for both hard and carpeted surfaces.

I have two Electrolux machines--a cannister for downstairs (hardwood, some area rugs), an upright for upstairs (all carpet). The cannister is 5 years old, the upright 2 or 3; both work fine. I bought the upright when my previous Electrolux needed some minor repairs but was too old to find parts or anything: we bought it in 1982.

I hate to ask the obvious, but have you checked your vac to see why it has no "suckage"? It could be something very simple, much less than buying a new vac. Is the bag full? Something stuck in the wand??

I love my Dyson, but that is definitely not low in price. OTOH, if it lasts 5 times as long as a cheap vac...

The few times something has gone awry with my Dyson's sucking power, I have either called them or gone through on-line trouble-shooting and was able to correct it myself.

I also love my Roomba, however, I am on my second one and my first didn't last two years. They can't really be your only vacuum, though.

I have a Riccar which I paid dearly for. I purchased it at a sweeper dealership. It is related to the Kenmore Progressive several people have mentioned. I went through sweepers like you did and the performance before they died made the death satisfactory to me somehow (this is where I realize there is no evil look emoticon). Anyway, I wouldn't trade this for all the tea in China. I love it. It has lasted me 10 years so far and is still working hard.

We live in a huge old farm house and have dogs, cats, an occasional coon etc., etc. come through here. We have carpet and bare floors, and this works great on both. The best thing is that because I purchased this at a sweeper dealership, I can bring it in to have it looked over if something seems off. So far, the definition of "off" has been legos, little beings made with large amounts of bag twistie ties, gobs of girlie art supplies...Come on, it is JUST a sweeper, and I am JUST a mom; no miracles here, folks.

I have a Sears Kenmore canister vacuum that's lasted 10+ years so far!! I love it and at the time it was ranked very favorably by Consumer Reports. Of course that was 10 years ago and I can't vouch for the quality that they may be producing now. BTW this model still uses a vacuum bag. We use it for both hard and carpeted surfaces.

Our Kenmore canister vac is 21 years old now and we're finally close to replacing it. It's served us well over the years with carpets, wood, pets, and kids. We're going to go with Oreck simply because they're the only ones we've found made in the US. Ours was - back in the day - but new Kenmores are not. :(