Menu

What do you do?

What do you do when you feel like you've just been sluggin' it out with the kiddos all morning and you've gotten about half way through your lessons and you're almost in tears, and they don't give a rip? I really feel like calling it a day, but we're only through 1/2 of DS1's math lesson and we're taking a "Dragon Tales" break right now and I just really don't want to continue, but I also don't want to just get in the habit of quitting for the day when things are getting tough. It's not that they're frustrated and not "getting it". It's that they're acting like silly little boys, which is what they are, but.... when does a parent stop making excuses and start requiring a minimum amount of respect and attention to their education. It' s not like we sit for hours on end copying Webster's Dictionary or something. I'm sorry for this vent. I'm just really tired of this.

I would put the ball in their court, so to speak. Firmly let them know that x, y, and z must be done before they can play/watch TV/play games, etc. And then stick to what you said. I bet you will see some improvement after a few days. I've had to get tough with dd a few times, but I always insist that certain things be done. Now she knows that goofing off or daydreaming endlessly will not get her out of it.

Do you call it quits on a regular basis? If you do than I say, it's time to have a heart to heart with the kiddos and explain to them that you expect their attention, effort and respect. I have a 9yo and 6yo and this worked for me at least for awhile. It's a tough lesson to teach and learn. They'll get it with persistence and patience.

If you don't call it quits very often, I say everyone is entitled to a bad day and it's okay to watch Dragon Tales for the rest of the afternoon. Sometimes a change of scenery helps-run an errand, go to the park, come back and try again. Sometimes is doesn't and for everyone's sanity, it's just better to stop while you're still in one piece.

Sorry you're having a bad day. Hang in there.

I tend to go stone cold silent, gently set down whatever we're working on, quietly stand up and quietly walk out of the room. Once he's ready to listen I tell him the rest of the assignment and sometimes whatever he'll be doing next and say, "I need a break. I'm getting frustrated. I'll be back in a few minutes. Please be quiet." Then I go either jump on here :p or outside and take a time-out.

I don't know why it works so well, but they both (younger ds too) calm down and behave after that.

run your day. You have to be in charge. You must be firm. There will be no TV until the school work is done. You don't fight with them, you just tell them. You sit with them while they do their work. With younger kids (and I'm guessing they're young if they're watching Dragon Tales) you need to stay with them while they work. Walking away can be a distraction for them. They want to know what you're doing, or their minds start to wander. Make it a contest to see who can finish first, have rewards for getting through so many problems, and/or have consequences for not finishing by a certain time.

You have to stick with it. You have to make it happen, because they are kids and they would rather just play (wouldn't we all :D).

Honestly, if you are that fed up, I'd just quit for the day. That's one of the perks of homeschooling. Now if it became a weekly thing, then you'd firmly have to have some consequences in place if it happens too often. But everyone gets fed up with school and work at times.....it's nice to just take a break if it is getting to be too much.

Oh my, can I relate. Ds, 13, is pure silliness, sometimes venom. Just this week I told him he can play/ride his bike when his work is done. He hasn't played yet. Hoping he learns to manage his time better.

Dd, 9, is hell on wheels this year too. I decided to take a break from Homeschool Tracker, and just write the must-do assignments on the board, breaking them up with pingpong, scooter time, etc. With her, I think I was overdoing it...too much work for too long (started 7/27) with too little scheduled fun.

Best to you!

Thanks for the advice, ladies. Regarding the tv, I should have explained that it is actually part of our regular schedule, so it's not like I was rewarding them for bad behaviour. Generally, we start school at 8:30, work till about 10:00, take an hour off for play/snack/tv and then start up again at 11:00 and go for another 1/2 hour or so and then that's it for the day. The boys are 5 & 6. "Dragon Tales" is their favorite show and pretty much all the tv they get during the day. So, anyhow, I felt better after taking a break and I just got down to it with the kids and we got enough done today to satisfy me.

I think part of my struggle with schooling isn't just this incident today, but the whole ideology of when to start kids' formal education, expectations, training to be disciplined, all that, and so I don't want to come down hard at this age, but both my boys are very capable learners. My 5 year old is reading well, and my 6 year old is flying through A Beka's 1st grade math program, so there's no reason why they shouldn't be in school. But, you're right, Kim, they would rather play, my oldest especially, and I guess I just need to deal with that and "be in charge" because sometimes I really feel like the inmates are running the assylum.

Aw. It'll be okay, really it will. When my first two were that little, I was frequently looped out about getting it all done, resistance to the plan, etc. All that is still here now, but in very different form. Really, much of my problem has always been that I have a vision, the kids don't necessarily "get it" and then I get frustrated at having tons to do and carry and organize and then comunication breaks down and it all goes to heck. Not good.

So from a BTDT perspective, keep on keepin' on. The kids will be wigglier some days than others. Nothing wrong with having them do memory work while running up and down stairs, or walking circles in another room. Jumping jacks often help mine refocus. Make sure they've had a good drink of water before you begin, talk about wiggles vs. holding still time (use your preschool teacher voice, smiling all the while) and know that it sinks in, even if you think it doesn't. My bigger kids often spout to the littles things I spent years saying calmly, repeatedly (and sometimes not so calmly), and had despaired of *anyone* ever retaining. So yes, it will be okay, you'll master this and then you'll have a different set of challenges because they grow and change and need new skills, info, and conversation from you. Homeschooling life is never boring. ;)

And if all else fails, there's always duct tape. :D

Kidding!

There is nothing wrong with everyone taking a few minute break (and you have creatively scheduled one in) when things get difficult, and coming back to start anew!

Is there a melt-down at a specific time period more days than not? Might mean you need to add in a few minutes of physical movement (pp's mentioned jumping, doing steps, running around the room) as a mini break.

Now, if the break they get for their TV show is manipulated into them getting out of work, then you might want to re-examine things, but it doesn't sound like that.

School kids get recess, high schoolers have breaks between each class, and jobs usually have coffee (or similar) breaks... so I don't see a 5-30 min scheduled break as a negative. Taking a break from a task for a few minutes allows for a fresh breath, and a renewed look at the task at hand. I know I need them!

Just my two little pennies...