Menu

Top 10 Toys Lists

Hello!

We are in the process of paring down our toy inventory right before the holidays, lol. I asked each of my girls, age 7 and 9, independently, if we were getting rid of every single toy in the house, and you could keep 10, what would you keep? Things like "kitchen, dishes and food" count as one thing, as do any sets of things. Interestingly, their lists are almost identical!

What would be on your 8-12 year old's Top 10 Toy list?

Secondly, we are foster parents for up to age 6. I am having trouble figuring out what baby, toddler, and preschool toys I should keep for them. We never know in advance what ages we will have, so I'd like to keep some for each age group. Most of the children we've had and will care for in the future have some level of developmental delays, so I want to make sure I have things that will promote cognitive and language skills.

I'm also prefer classic toys that will stand the test of time and lots of play rather than trendy toys and character fads, unless those have stood the test of time, like maybe Cars or Star Wars, or Disney princesses.

What would be on your Top 10 Toy list for these ages of children?

Lastly, I've been searching hi and low for a resource, either online or a book, (such as Oppenheim), where I can find such information that I've asked for above. Any suggestions on where to look for current toy reviews, or toy guides?

I appreciate your answers very much!

Blessings,

Cathy

I'm going to assume you are not including sports equipment like bicycles, scooters, inline skates. Those are a separate category in our house.

Top 10 Toys for my kids would be...

1. Playmobile Pirate stuff

2. American Girl Doll

3. Wooden Train set

4. Lincoln logs

5. Legos

6. Imaginext knights

7. Matchbox cars

8. Kepla blocks

9. Dress up box (collection of Daniel Boone clothes, raccoon hats, canteens, etc.)

10. The lone transformer toy he has.

That was hard. I think I pretty much listed every toy they have. They enjoy building things and playing pretend. My daughter doesn't ask for any of these toys anymore as gifts but she still plays with them.

When my children were younger, Little People and the large chunky legos were the toys of choice.

Edited by Daisy

Lol, wouldn't it help if I had posted their top 10 lists and wish lists? And I appreciate from the replies so far listing things that would appeal to boys, because we definitely lean towards girl toys! Yes, I do consider outside toys and video games to be a separate category. Playmobil has just come onto our radar, especially the Egypt and Roman sets. I've heard many parents say their kids love Playmobil, but I have such difficulty paying so much in the event it's a flop at our house. Here are our two lists.

Girl, age 9

1.Dress up

2. Puppets and puppet theater

3. Dollhouse (we have FP Loving Family Sweet Sounds)

4. Barbies

5. Kitchen, dishes and food

6. Legos (how many is too many, lol)

7. Quadrilla wooden marble run.

8. Build a Bears

9. Leapster

10. Polly Pockets

Girls, age 7

almost identical. her only difference was Little People. She later added Polly Pockets and My Little Pony for a total of 12.

Here is their combined wish list

1. More stuff for Barbies, doll house, build a bear, kitchen 9the dollhouse we have is discontinued and additional furniture is very expensive on Ebay. we also have one Sweet Streets house, which is also discontinued, but has better availability. I've read that the new Loving Family furniture isn't compatible with the old version.)

2. Castle (they have their eyes on Melissa and Doug)

3. Playmobil Pyramid and Egyptian accessories

4. Tea set

5. a clothes designer set we saw at TRU where you trace the fashions and then decorate.

For boys and younger kids we have:

1. Train table with track and trains

2. Hot Wheels cars and other various trucks and cars

3. Lots of Leap Frog toys

4. Mega Blocks and Duplo Blocks

5. Wooden blocks

6. Lots of Little People sets

7. assortment of musical instruments

8. large assortment of baby and toddler toys, including Shape sorters, peek a boo blocks, Amazing Animals, and tons of other stuff that I need to pare down, lol.

Can't wait to read more lists!

Cathy

I assume this does not include arts/crafts/outside toys, right? If so, arts/crafts would definitely be on my 5 year old's top ten list.

Honestly, my kids do not even have a Top Ten.....they play with a few things very consistently.

For my five year old....

Stuffed animals

Schleich animals

Little People

Playmobil

Nintendo DS

For my two year old...

Little People

Stuffed animals

Little People

Schleich animals

Little people

Yes, she LOVES Little People

The only thing my boys constantly play with that you don't already have are magnatiles. For boys they go great with the matchbox, train sets, legos/blocks etc. that my kids also enjoy. They build a station and tunnels for the trains or a garage for the matchbox cars and etc. They've been used constantly over several years here. Outside of that the things we love here you already have.

Duplo blocks - big bin of lots of them.

Legos for older kids. Not kits, just tons of Legos.

Wooden blocks.

A sturdy doll house and contents.

Toy kitchen/food/dishes

sturdy trucks/cars/fire engines of various sizes

Playmobile anything

(The Playmobile or doll house people will end up having adventures in the castle built with bricks, and riding around in the fire engine, etc.)

Dress-up clothes - both fairy/ballerina/princess AND fire fighter/doctor etc.

Toy tools

NOTHING that needs batteries!!!

A large cardboard box, the bigger the better.

A couple sturdy babydolls, doll bed, etc.

Most of the above is pretty gender neutral, nowadays.

Matchbox cars, or something like them

Stuffed birds that sing and his stuffed cat

cardboard boxes

Roman building blocks

Wooden train tracks

Bag of marbles

plastic animals (cats and birds most of all)

Zoobs

K'nex

tinkertoys

He'd love a marble run. Most of all he loves dirt and skateboards and winning at card games.

Great answers! Keep them coming!

We went to Toys R Us again today for more wishlist shopping. It's neat that when we are focussing on their Top 10 list, they have much less of the wantsies! They saw a huge Imaginarium dollhouse that says will fit any "12 inch fashion doll" (Barbie). So now, they think they want to sell the Loving Family Sweet Sounds and get that instead.

They also have this idea to convert the toy room into a baby doll and make believe house with kitchen, nursery, bath/doctor area, with a grocery/deli on the side, lol Cute idea, wonder how we could make that work.

Cathy

Boys ..lot of use out of vehicles aside from some of the other things already mentioned. Next to lego, a jeep for GIJoe that stuffed animals could also drive as well as a semi lasted from age 3 up to about 9:

2505104420808080_1.jpg

Blocks, plastic animals, stuffed animals, hotwheels, space vehicles, people, etc were all transported in the rig...many spy adventures took place here too ...

other popular items from 3 to about 9:

Transformers not as a transformer, but b/c it was a 3D puzzle to do the transformation back and forth.

air hockey

darts

Edited by lgm

That's funny. Kitchen, dishes and food was a top ten item for my dd as well.

Baby dolls and equipment another.

Stuffies are actually siblings but they count.

Legos

Fisher Price Little People

A large container of matchbox cars.

Outdoor toys such as bikes, roller blades, scooters, skateboards, and just about every kind of ball under the sun.

Lots of board games.

I would be hard pressed to find anymore for my kids but I could probably come up with lots more for a younger age group