Menu

Mastering Fractions - Fifth Grade Boy

tdeveson

We're behind on fractions. While ds continues with his regular TT curriculum, I'd like to help him achieve mastery of fractions on the side.

He shies away from cramped pages in black and white. (Come to think of it, I do too.) I'd like to find a colorful, engaging book, or an online game, or something visually engaging to help him attain mastery. A combination of resources would work.

Any suggestions or advise would be most appreciated.

Have you looked at the Key to Fractions books? In general, the Key to ... books are black and white but with plenty of room and lots of white space on each page. They have incremental steps and clear explanations. Life of Fred also has a Fractions book that has excellent explanations although I have only read it myself and not used it with a student yet - it is a very different approach to math and my ds loved the higher level books. Sorry, that I don't have any colorful recommendations for you, but I haven't had to look for that type of resource yet.

The Math Mammoth workbooks on Fractions could be just what you're looking for: they're colorful (without being too busy) and the explanations are very clear, concise, and well-illustrated. Plus they're inexpensive and you can download them instantly! There are plenty of samples on the website:

http://www.mathmammoth.com/fractions.php

Jackie

I taught all my children fractions by baking. doubling recipes, halving recipes, cutting cakes and pies, chopping up fruit ( like there are 3 oranges, and 5 people cut them up so everyone gets the same)etc until they are really good at it. then when they are doing fractions in their book and are having trouble, I remind them that fractions are just like a cake, and then they get it.

Also not colorful but WAY not cramped, MUS Epsilon is fractions. The blocks are colorful too :) Short easy lessons, do as many days of each lesson as you need for mastery.

:iagree: Especially since they redesigned their books -- the pages are spaced nicely so that the work can be shown right under the problem. I *LOVE* the Fraction Manipulatives and I believe they were the key to my daughter's understanding of fractions...not just the *HOW* but the *WHY*...

Yes, we used a set of fraction tiles/squares to "see" the way they work - especially the concept of equivalent fractions.

My favorite way to reinforce is with pizza and brownies (YUM!) having the child cut the brownies up to satisfy a series of situations/combinations of people who want to eat them.

(For example, If there are twelve brownies, and four people want to eat half of the brownies, how many brownies does each one get? - you have to cut some of them into 4ths, since you're dividing among 4 people - this even can include simplifying.) You can do this many different ways, and the child will sometimes start to make up his own combinations. And chocolate fuels the brain, right?;)