Menu

They didn't bomb the moon as in "to attack with bombs" but as in "to hit very hard." NASA rammed a spent rocket, followed by its shepherding rocket, into the south pole of the moon to see if ice was released on impact. The impact was no greater than what the moon normally experiences 3-4 times per month from meteors, comets, etc.; it was just aimed at an area of interest to researchers.

Three papers were recently published in the journal Science indicating the presence of water on the moon... a fascinating discovery considering that the moon was thought to be dry up until now. Some scientists appear to find the news desirable because it means that a research station could possibly be placed on the moon allowing us to then look more closely at the rest of our solar system (a much less costly proposition - both financially and environmentally, in the long run, than sending exploratory rockets from the earth's surface repeatedly). Others, like me, are just thrilled about what it could possibly teach us about the physical nature of our solar system as well as the discovery's potential for reigniting passion for scientific inquiry purely for knowledge's sake and not necessarily for any directly practical purpose.

Thank You!

(I hadn't heard it described as bombing the moon until this thread. The news I read said that they were crashing a craft into it.)

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In all seriousness, most of the "space-race" was a "proxy-war" of sorts between us and the Soviet Union, which showed how we could destroy the world a thousand times over, while they could only do it a hundred time.

Started out serious at least :D

Bill (in a silly mood today)

Aw yes. I remember the best of them all: Star Wars. It didn't even work, but yet it worked so well.:lol:

I think this whole board is in a silly mood today. There must be to many Tang drinkers around.;)

Is it just me, or does bombing the moon seem like part science, and in some measure a reminder to Ahmadinejad and Iran (and Russia, China, North Korea and others) that if we can bomb the moon that we can also...

Too cynical? :D

Bill

Maybe.

I figured it was pre-emptive. You know, like maybe someone had some weapons of mass destruction hidden up there....

You could explode every nuclear weapon ever created, every bomb ever made on the moon and it wouldn't do a darn thing. There's no atmosphere there to disturb, no ecosystem to destroy.

Dear me, you forgot one important thing! What is the Man in the Moon thinking about this? I hope he's okay. :001_tt2:

Aw yes. I remember the best of them all: Star Wars. It didn't even work, but yet it worked so well.:lol:

I think this whole board is in a silly mood today. There must be to many Tang drinkers around.;)

For those who miss Tang, might I suggest Great Value sugar-free Orange drink mix, simply in texture and taste.

It was only a flesh-wound :D

Jolly Good...

(sorry, I'm mixing my Python... been watching Time Bandits...I know, not technically Python)

Edited by elegantlion

You didn't really say "Kool-aid" did you???

That's the kiss of death for this thread :D

Bill

Ay, what is wrong with Koolaid (apart from the whole Heaven's Gate thing which wasn't the Koolaids fault really). I hate to be guilty of killing yet another thread. I never know what topics are forboden until I open my mouth. :( Sorryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Ay, what is wrong with Koolaid (apart from the whole Heaven's Gate thing which wasn't the Koolaids fault really). I hate to be guilty of killing yet another thread. I never know what topics are forboden until I open my mouth. :( Sorryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Newbies :lol:

I'd explain, but the ensuing explosion might upset the tides :D

Bill

Nothing to be sorry about. Many good laughs have come from a Kool Aid drink or two.;)

What audacity to chuck a bomb on something that effects the entire planet. Sometimes I just ...... there are no words that I can put on here and still be a Queen Bee, so I'll keep mum :glare:

I know the thread has moved on, but I just had to add that anyone shooting stuff at the moon makes me furious. The arrogance is astounding.

Leave the moon alone!!

Is it just me, or does bombing the moon seem like part science, and in some measure a reminder to Ahmadinejad and Iran (and Russia, China, North Korea and others) that if we can bomb the moon that we can also...

Too cynical? :D

Bill

Colour me cynical then.

Wasn't Jonestown the kool-aid (and it was really flavor aid, I think)? Did Heaven's Gate use kool-aid too?? Poor kool-aid folks.

Sorry. I'm just contributing to derailment. :blush:

LOL But before Heaven's Gate and all the rest there was a "drink" once upon a time that we used to drink with a cheerful smiling pitcher mascot called Koolaid. All of the pictures of me when I was 10 and under I had the permanent red "Koolaid smile" on my upper lip! :lol:

LOL But before Heaven's Gate and all the rest there was a "drink" once upon a time that we used to drink with a cheerful smiling pitcher mascot called Koolaid. All of the pictures of me when I was 10 and under I had the permanent red "Koolaid smile" on my upper lip! :lol:

Hawaiian Punch can produce the same results, but that just sounds like an assault charge waiting to happen. :001_huh:

He may be cheerful, but that dude was always busting down people's walls. So troublesome. :glare:

Fly me to the moon

Let me sing among those stars

Let me see what spring is like

On jupiter and mars

In other words, hold my hand

In other words, baby kiss me

Fill my heart with song

Let me sing for ever more

You are all I long for

All I worship and adore

In other words, please be true

In other words, I love you

Bill

He may be cheerful, but that dude was always busting down people's walls. So troublesome. :glare:

ROFL :lol::lol::lol: Ay! I totally forgot that part until you said it. Ow! Ow my stomach is hurting from laughing. And I see that this thread has already been tagged "koolaid" sigh. it's gonna be a long night. Mr. Mungo, the Patron if you don't mind. ;) :cheers2: :p

Edited by Ibbygirl

Hawaiian Punch can produce the same results, but that just sounds like an assault charge waiting to happen. :001_huh:

Pssst. I used to drink that one too. But let's just keep it between us mm'kay? I don't want to be charged with a double homicide for this thread. :) :p

We don't know where this might lead us. I can't help thinking about our early explorers. Can you image? We could still be thinking the world is flat without them. This is the next step for our modern day explorers.

No, no, this is myth.

They didn't bomb the moon as in "to attack with bombs" but as in "to hit very hard." NASA rammed a spent rocket, followed by its shepherding rocket, into the south pole of the moon to see if ice was released on impact. The impact was no greater than what the moon normally experiences 3-4 times per month from meteors, comets, etc.; it was just aimed at an area of interest to researchers.

Three papers were recently published in the journal Science indicating the presence of water on the moon... a fascinating discovery considering that the moon was thought to be dry up until now. Some scientists appear to find the news desirable because it means that a research station could possibly be placed on the moon allowing us to then look more closely at the rest of our solar system (a much less costly proposition - both financially and environmentally, in the long run, than sending exploratory rockets from the earth's surface repeatedly). Others, like me, are just thrilled about what it could possibly teach us about the physical nature of our solar system as well as the discovery's potential for reigniting passion for scientific inquiry purely for knowledge's sake and not necessarily for any directly practical purpose.

Tutor...oh, never mind, I just can't do it, lol.

Newbies :lol:

I'd explain, but the ensuing explosion might upset the tides :D

Bill

:willy_nilly:Too true!

ROFL Ay! I totally forgot that part until you said it. Ow! Ow my stomach is hurting from laughing. And I see that this thread has already been tagged "koolaid" sigh. it's gonna be a long night. Mr. Mungo, the Patron if you don't mind. ;) :cheers2: :p

Yes, I'm just going to stay here *passes the bottle*.

How'd you like a nice Hawaiian Punch? :D

With Patron? I just got home and have somewhere else to go at 6, homework and putting dinner in the oven in between. Whew!

THE MOON WAS ASKING FOR IT!!!!

ROFL Really!! How dare she sit up there shining so bright at night and keeping everyone awake!! The nerve!! :lol::lol::lol:

Did anyone else have that Hawaiian Punch game with the playdough and little pineapple mold?

Not I. But my parents used to keep me chained up in the basement and I only had cockroaches to play with so don't go by my experiences. :lol:

No, no, this is myth.

Tutor...oh, never mind, I just can't do it, lol.

:willy_nilly:Too true!

Yes, I'm just going to stay here *passes the bottle*.

With Patron? I just got home and have somewhere else to go at 6, homework and putting dinner in the oven in between. Whew!

:smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5:I thought I had laughed hard at the last one.:lol: I am trying to explain to my dh why I am late with our dinner by trying to explain this thread.:001_huh: He just doesn't get it.:001_huh:

Edited by Gretchen in NJ

:smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5:I thought I had laught hard at the last one.:lol: I am trying to explain to my dh why I am late with our dinner by trying to explain this thread.:001_huh: He just doesn't get it.:001_huh:

lol You cannot make sense of insanity. :lol:

No, no, this is myth.

A myth is: "a traditional story, typically involving supernatural beings or forces, which embodies and provides an explanation, aetiology, or justification for something such as the early history of a society, a religious belief or ritual, or a natural phenomenon".

Stop conflating myth with false-hood or I'll have to start killing kitten's :D

That'll work :tongue_smilie:

Bill

A myth is: "a traditional story, typically involving supernatural beings or forces, which embodies and provides an explanation, aetiology, or justification for something such as the early history of a society, a religious belief or ritual, or a natural phenomenon".

I think it fits the bolded bit of the definition! No? You dont' agree?

Stop conflating myth with false-hood or I'll have to start killing kitten's :D

NOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!