Menu

Let's discuss logic stage history sources

Sunkirst

We are doing medieval history this year with a 1st grader using SOTW, and a 6th grader approximating the WTM approach.

This is our 5th week into the year, and the 6th grader is just Bored & Whiny. Generally, I don't tolerate bored and whiny, but I think what he's doing for history right now actually is boring.

The history resources we're finding for his grade level are just... Dry. Maybe I've been spoiled by SOTW. Maybe I'm expecting too much. Maybe there's just not that much written on the Byzantine Empire and the Gupta Dynasty, but somehow, things have got to change.

I guess I'm hoping to find something shorter and more interesting - like an article in National Geographic (most of what we find is in the 60 page range, and my son is dyslexic, so I just have him read excepts, and the lack of a "full story" is making history seem disjointed and really limiting any good "Logic level" discussions).

Is there such resource out there? What do the rest of you use? I'd love any suggestions.

Thanks,

I don't have this all worked out yet, since we are doing Ancients this year. But right now, my plan is to be use Dorothy Mills' books as my spine for the Middle Ages next year. She has two on that time period. We are using her books this year for the ancients, and my 10 yo DD and I both love them.

We will be following History Odyssey and doing the readings from Kingfisher as well. I will be adding in books from the Sonlight and MODG reading lists from the right time period as readers/read-alouds. I am trying to work out a schedule like Biblioplan using the HO timeline to add in SOTW and readers for my other two DD, so we can all be studying the same thing at the same time.

I don't know if any of this will help, but maybe it will give you some ideas to look into at least.

Best wishes!

This year we're using SOTW 3 with AG discussion questions and maps, tests; Biblioplan Cool History worksheets, along with Kingfisher History Encycl. We're also using IEW U.S. History Based Writing Lessons v1.

With all that we have to do each day, we need history to be short & sweet.

Last year we used SOTW 1 & 2 in one year with Sonlight 6 schedule but skipped most of the readers/read alouds. We used IEW Medieval History Based Writing.

:D

Guest Alte Veste Academy
We are doing medieval history this year with a 1st grader using SOTW, and a 6th grader approximating the WTM approach.

I guess I'm hoping to find something shorter and more interesting - like an article in National Geographic

Is there such resource out there?

Not there yet but my OCD bookmark list is pretty incredible. :lol:

Learning Through History magazine has issues for Early and Late Medieval Times.

Also, Carus Publishing puts out many great magazines, including Calliope for 9-14 year olds. I know I was once able to view the back issue list online but for the life of me can't find it now. Anyway, you can contact them to ask. The magazine is great!

ETA: Oh, look! The Medieval Bundle! Too cool!

We're planning on using The Story of the Middle Ages and The Story of the Renaissance and Reformation from Nothing New Press next year with my 6th.

We are, too--with a little MOH thrown in for some more specific church history (also Trial and Triumph and the books that Trivium Academy Jessica used for a short while). The Guerber/Miller books are excellent, story-based, and give a terrific look at the time period. Also check out the BBC resources online--there are some yummy things there!

I am planning on having dd outline Kingfisher (or another encyclo) but will also definitely do the Milller books.

My dd hates history with a passion. She now tolerates it since we started using MOH. We're on the 3rd volume and while she doesn't love it like she loves languages and science, we manage to get through the day relatively unscathed. ;)

OH, and we rarely do the activities. We've done none of them this year, she either narrates or draws the narrations. History is not my focus for her education, so as long as she understands the lesson, I'm good with it.

I just recently ordered Renaissance and Reformation Times by Dorothy Mills and I really like it. I think it will be perfect for dd for 8th grade (which is when we will get there-we're in the middle ages now). I like it so much that I'm considering trading in The Story of the Middle Ages for The Middle Ages by her. It is well written-yet challenging and I love how she integrates the literature and art of the time. Dorothy Mills also wrote one for the ancients and one for Greece and one for Rome as well. (another one too but I forgot the title ?) I discovered her books when looking at Highlands Latin School and seeing her books in their booklists.

We're using The Story of England and The Story of France for the middle ages. Dd and I really like both books. I love how the former book (by Harding) allowed me to easily integrate map work, poetry, informal writing questions, etc.

I'm planning to do ancients logic next year in the WTM fashion. We're still doing SOTW modern, so I really have no experience with a logic style history. I have read good reviews about Oxford's "The World in Ancient Times" series. It's supposed to include lots of info from primary sources. I haven't actually looked at it myself yet.

We're planning on using The Story of the Middle Ages and The Story of the Renaissance and Reformation from Nothing New Press next year with my 6th.

We are, too--with a little MOH thrown in for some more specific church history (also Trial and Triumph and the books that Trivium Academy Jessica used for a short while). The Guerber/Miller books are excellent, story-based, and give a terrific look at the time period. Also check out the BBC resources online--there are some yummy things there!

I am planning on having dd outline Kingfisher (or another encyclo) but will also definitely do the Milller books.

I also picked the books from Nothing News Press for my 8th grader. He'll go thru the 1st three books for our Ancients. Here's what I'm having him do:

M-F: Read 2 chapters

M-F: mark places on map

M-F: update timeline w/people & events

M-F: list important people and events & why they are important

M-Tues: outline one of the chapters he read

W-F: do further research on topic of interest, outline for paper

next week the W-F he'll work on writing the short paper.

He loves history but could use work on outlining. We are already behind so we'll see how far we actually get.

hths,

Kathie

We're going to use K12's Human Odyssey series as a spine through the logic stage. I really, really like these books. There are three - Prehistory - Middle Ages, 1400-1910, 1910-modern times. These books are very engaging and readable in a narrative form, not at all like a history encyclopedia. I was able to get them eaisly and fairly inexpensively used on Amazon or alibris. I think the main author is Cribb - this is not the volume by Spielvogel with the same name.

I'm planning on supplementing with The Word in Ancient Times and The Medieval and Modern World series that someone else mentioned. Each series has a whole book devoted to primary sources. And then I'll add in some historical fiction for good measure.

This is our 5th week into the year, and the 6th grader is just Bored & Whiny. Generally, I don't tolerate bored and whiny, but I think what he's doing for history right now actually is boring.

The history resources we're finding for his grade level are just... Dry. Maybe I've been spoiled by SOTW. Maybe I'm expecting too much. Maybe there's just not that much written on the Byzantine Empire and the Gupta Dynasty, but somehow, things have got to change.

I guess I'm hoping to find something shorter and more interesting - like an article in National Geographic (most of what we find is in the 60 page range, and my son is dyslexic, so I just have him read excepts, and the lack of a "full story" is making history seem disjointed and really limiting any good "Logic level" discussions).

Is there such resource out there? What do the rest of you use? I'd love any suggestions.

Thanks,

Kirsten, if you get a chance, perhaps you can pm mcconnellboys and ask Regena your question. She has a great list of resources for both ancient and medieval times. We have added several of her recommendations for ancient history and they have been major hits so far.

Wow!

Thanks to everyone!

I had heard of Calliope, but I was even more impressed with Learning Through History. I think that will be just perfect - engaging and educational, yet brief.

I'm also interested in the Mills Books and The Story of the Middle Ages, and have requested them through the library to see before ordering.

Thanks too for mentioning Regena; I know I've read many wise bits of information posted by her.

Thanks again, all

This year we're using History Odyssey for a spine with SOTW 3, the Usborne Internet Linked Encyclopedia of World History, plus a few extra books to fill it in.

Since your ds is dyslexic and reading is an issue, can you read to him? Alternatively, you can get him books on CD. For example, SOTW is available on CD, as are tons of history books.

We're going to use K12's Human Odyssey series as a spine through the logic stage. I really, really like these books. There are three - Prehistory - Middle Ages, 1400-1910, 1910-modern times. These books are very engaging and readable in a narrative form, not at all like a history encyclopedia. I was able to get them eaisly and fairly inexpensively used on Amazon or alibris. I think the main author is Cribb - this is not the volume by Spielvogel with the same name.

I'm planning on supplementing with The Word in Ancient Times and The Medieval and Modern World series that someone else mentioned. Each series has a whole book devoted to primary sources. And then I'll add in some historical fiction for good measure.

I've picked up the first volume of Human Odyssey and am trying to pull together resources to use with it. I would love to hear what you're using. I'll take a look at The World in Ancient Times and The Medieval and Modern World. Are you planning to do the entire series of each one or mostly the primary source books? These are the Oxford Press ones, yes? Do they have study guides like the Hakim History of the US? I'm thinking of using that to add in American history and stretching the whole thing out over 4 years (5th-8th).

I've picked up the first volume of Human Odyssey and am trying to pull together resources to use with it. I would love to hear what you're using. I'll take a look at The World in Ancient Times and The Medieval and Modern World. Are you planning to do the entire series of each one or mostly the primary source books? These are the Oxford Press ones, yes? Do they have study guides like the Hakim History of the US? I'm thinking of using that to add in American history and stretching the whole thing out over 4 years (5th-8th).

Karen, I have the entire The World in Ancient Times series and several of the Medieval and Early Modern World books. There are Teaching Guides and Student Study Guides. We have just finished The Early Human World and are now using The Ancient Near Eastern World. You are welcome to pm me if you have questions about the series or the TGs and SSGs. I have used both so far.