Menu

suggestions for telling time, money, skip-counting?

StormySar

Those are all in our 1st grade Abeka curriculum. For time, I wouldn't expect anything past a full hour. 1 o clock, 2 o clock, no 30 minutes, or half hours and definitely nothing past that. DD is still working on that and she is 7. Skip counting stick to 2's, 10's and 5's. (It was not in our K curriculum, neither was it taught at our PS) Money is a toughy... For our K year we played Monopoly, (yes, it was in our curriculum) but there are no coins. If you use Monopoly Jr you can use the money to count by 2's 5's and 10's.

For time and money, we bought a learning clock and a toy cash register with money and made a handrawn map of various locations about town. We played "train ride" by making train tickets out of colored cardstock, each with a location, time of departure, and ticket price printed on it (e.g. "Zoo. 2:15pm. $2.35."). We'd pick a ticket at random, set the clock to the time on the ticket, and count out the money for the trip. Ds loved this game and even set up chairs like train seats. :001_smile:

We also played "store" a lot, just setting out various objects on a table or kitchen counter and making price tags for each, then paying with play money.

For skip counting, watching the Schoolhouse Rock multiplication songs was great :)

I realized about the time my son was 4 that we only had digital clocks in our house. We got rid of one in the living room and put an analog clock in its place. That has helped some, although I still think I should get rid of more of the digital clocks so he has to use the analog to tell time.

I'd love to hear what has helped you teach your children how to tell time, think about money and count by 2's, 5's, etc. at a kindergarten level.

I'm afraid I'm going to teach too much and expect too much without some sort of a guide!

Thank you,

Sarah

For time: get a big wall clock, put it on the wall in whatever room you are in most of the day, and use it all day long. . . "Daddy will be home when it is 6:00!! That's when the little hand. . ." They'll be telling time within a couple weeks of this.

For money, and counting by 5s, 10s, etc. . . "Candy Store" is my dc's all time favorite school activity. I take a pile of small candies (single skittles, chocolate chips, etc.) and write up a mess of price tags (I like sticky notes) Place the price tags all over the table with a single candy on each. (Having a few different varieties, or some with one candy and others with a couple, makes it more interesting!). Give the child a pile of money. . . Get going. If you have other dc in the home, then the "learning/playing" child buys each kid one in turn. . . There are infinite variations. . . Price tags of 1c, 5c, 10c, 25c work for learning to ID the coins. . . Tags of 5c, 25c, 45c, etc with ONLY NICKELS works for counting by 5s. . . Etc, etc. When my son was at the prime candy store age (K/1st), I bought a $8 lego set and put the individual pieces on price tags. . . so he earned the whole set over a couple days. Poor kid is 10 and doing prealgebra and still wants to play "Candy Store". (I keep the price tags and a bunch of change in a dedicated bin in the math shelves.) You can also make number lines and put them on the wall when you are learning to skip count with the $$. . . I made ones for 5s and 10s and then we played with nickels or dimes and would count off on the number line for each purchase. My dc tend to master these skills VERY fast when playing candy store!!!!!!

We have a Monopoly game on the shelf that my 4 year old discovered. He now asks to play Monopoly daily. He's learning addition with the dice, reading dollar amounts and paying the proper amount of money to buy his properties, etc. Also budgeting to save his money for his favorite properties! For skip counting we use the Right Start abacus. Also when we play hide and seek games, I skip count LOUDLY, count backwards, etc. when it's my turn to seek. It's like regular counting; if they hear it enough out loud, they just seem to memorize it.

There are files available for free that you can use for all of your K needs:

The response is overwhelming! Beechick Math/LA/Phonics S&S files

A grade by grade, concept by concept checklist of skills for PK-3rd grade (grades are just general guidelines, NOT mandatory expectations. Go at your child's pace!)

These two files will help you teach the subjects to your children in a real life context, using concepts instead of rote memory, and help them gain a solid foundation in true understanding of the topics! No more meaningless step-by-step boring worksheets. My kids and I are truly enjoying school and learning together in this way and I am loving our time together, even when it's school time, being fun. They are learning SO much too!

Edited by Lovedtodeath

I'd love to hear what has helped you teach your children how to tell time, think about money and count by 2's, 5's, etc. at a kindergarten level.

We had the Kumon workbooks for time and money. We also had the MUS skip counting CD. We didn't bother with a teaching clock, but I did hang a clock in ds's room and we purchased a teaching cash register. I also created hundreds charts with the multiples of different numbers highlighted for ds to just carry around.

HTH-

Mandy

We watched Rock 'n learn - Telling time & Rock 'n learn -money DVDs.

For skip counting, we just used a no. chart 1-100 & colored the 2s' & 5s' & read from it whenever we were driving. In 2 weeks they did it without the chart.

I also got them Time & money flashcards from Officemax ($1.99).

Then we used a lot of coins and played with it. Just tagging toys with price tags & asking my kids to give me exact change to buy the toy.

We use Saxon for all of those things. They cover each one quite nicely.

I agree. I used Saxon K last year and every thing you asked about was cover in there. I thought is was all very nicely introduced. If you decided to look in it, I used Saxon K with the Teacher's Manual only. Every manipulative that is used, I found online or was able to use items we already own.

Skip counting:

Schoolhouse rock

counting games while swinging or jumping rope

saying the chants while you drive, ride a bike or walk

hundred's chart activities/games

file-folder games

Time:

The biggest thing was just making the kid use the real clock both the digital and the regular one.

Money:

a jar of change to count

a small allowance that they get to spend and count out to the cashier when they buy something

Just a few fun ideas that helped us.:001_smile:

We used RS A and also had Ariel read an analog clock , downloaded some of The Skip Count Kid songs and play "store," in which I label different items with prices and give her some change. She decides what she wants to "buy" counts to see if she has enough and then wraps them up as gifts. She loves to play store.

To keep me on track, I used the thick Complete Book of Time and Money workbook. It's $6 something at Sams club and around $10 at regular stores

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Book-Time-Money/dp/1561895008

It's just a very simple reminder to me of what to teach next. I would pull out a worksheet, the child would do the activity with me and I would remember the rest of the week to look at the analog clock throughout the day and ask her the hour, or half-hour--whatever we had done on the worksheet. Same with money. It's a simple approach, cheap, lots of worksheets to reinforce the task if I forgot to do it in real life and it last about two years.

I bought my dds analog watches for Christmas. They were very movitated to learn how to tell time. :-)

Ditto! I wore my running watch and set the timer so at every hour I'd ask her what time it was. I think that was kindergarten. She was very motivated and wanted to know. We started with the hour but that was pretty easy pretty quickly. Later I set me watch to go off every hour but on the :30 and I'd ask her the time. It went on from there.

The only problem is that we say it differently than our math program (singapore). We say 6.30 or a quarter till. They say half past and . . . I can't remember. I kind of like the sound of "half-past" but somehow we could never develop the habit. She started telling time b/f singapore covered it and the habit was already set. It wasnt' a problem with math, just that it always bothered her that she too liked "half-past" but just couldn't get it in her brain.

Wow thanks for all the great ideas!

I guess my next question is in what sequence should children learn time, money and skip counting? I am beginning classical education with my daughter, she's 5, and before we were doing an eclectic education... she can count by 10's, up to 100 by 1's, counts backwards from and has begun her addition facts. I'm trying to figure out when time should be introduced (just hours at this age? she can do hours), and how should we introduce money (coins) if she's not used to adding high numbers? Should addition facts wait until next year so we can focus on money/time/skip counting/reinforce basic skills?

I'm thinking it would make more sense to focus on skip counting before doing money, so she can "skip count" her 5's and 10's.

I do not have a math curriculum right now - and I've just finished the preschool/k years in TWTM and found there wasn't much direction for teaching these things.

I'll be looking into the resources suggested here! Is there a timeline or order of events I could look in to, for helpful direction as far as when to introduce things in what order?

I'm thinking it would make more sense to focus on skip counting before doing money, so she can "skip count" her 5's and 10's.

I no longer have my K book, but if memory serves me correct, Saxon introduced the penny and then the dime. After the dime, skip counting by 10 was introduced. Later the nickel was presented and that was followed by skip counting by 5.

We did time first (hour and half-hour), skip counting (2s, 5s & 10s) because it helps with the addition/subtraction facts, then money (penny, nickel, then dime). Doing the money shortly after skip counting worked because she had some familiarity with counting by 5s and 10s, so figuring out how much 3 nickels or 6 dimes were was much easier.

After that, we went back and did time to the quarter-hour and will go back to more complicated skip counting like 3s and 4s and add in quarters and dollars with money.

I would wait on the addition facts unless she's ready for first grade work. Ditto for the higher level money concepts like quarters and dollars, skip counting more than by 2s, 5s or 10s and telling time in 15, 5 or 1 minute increments.

Edited by Aurelia

For fun, I recommend Rock N Learn DVDs Time, Money, addition, and Subtraction. They are great:) The library may have them or Netflix.

For skip counting, I have my ds fill out a blank hundred grid (10 rows and 10 columns). I tell him to skip count starting at 2 by 2. etc. Alternatively, they could color a numbered hundred grid chart as they skip count:)

I no longer have my K book, but if memory serves me correct, Saxon introduced the penny and then the dime. After the dime, skip counting by 10 was introduced. Later the nickel was presented and that was followed by skip counting by 5.

Horizons did it the same way. It was also coordinated with time...ie, they didn't teach minutes on an analog clock until they taught skip counting by 5s. I've found that my ds would much rather count money than just skip count. Instead of just drilling him on skip counting, I just pull out our fake money and give him piles to count.

With time, he would make all kinds of "clock problems" using his little clock we got with our math manipulatives. Then, we'd figure out what time the clock said. I'm planning on buying him a geared practice clock, though. It will be easier to teach him when the hour hand is always at the correct position.