Menu

I am running my first 5K in 12 hours!!!

I am so excited!!! And terrified! LOL! But I am ready to go for it!

And let me just take a minute to encourage all of you who are thinking about running. Except for a one semester aerobic class in college, I have never exercised consistently. I am about 30 lbs (or a bit more :D) over weight. A few months ago, I was convinced that I did not like to sweat or breathe heavy. But now, I am running!!!!! And you can do it too!!! It is a fabulous feeling to run that first mile, and then the second, and then the third. And let me share something my friend shared with me:

"Because the feeling when you finish a run is one of the best in the world. Because your girls will consider you a new kind of hero when you cross that finish line. Because YOU will consider yourself a new kind of hero when you cross that finish line. Because you can eat ice cream AND buy smaller pants. Because other people don't. Because you can control at least one aspect of our crazy beautiful hectic lives. Because God has given you legs and breath and running shoes and you want to honor Him. That is why you run."

I printed it out and put it on my fridge. What an inspiration!! Change it up any way you want that makes it inspire you! And then put on those shoes and start running!

What are you doing on here then?? Get some sleep! hehehehe ;) :D I'm so proud of you, mama. I love running too. Not only is it so efficient, it feels so good to be outside in the fresh air. I wish you a wonderful time. I think that's so cool that you're doing it with your bff. If I may offer you just one tip, be careful to pace yourself. There is a tendency to get caught up in the excitement of the race and all the activity around you and to start out too fast only to burn out too soon or worse, injure yourself. If you can maintain a pace where you and your friend can talk comfortably to each other while running you should be good. :) Have a GREAT TIME!! Hurray for TEAM NAKIA!!:grouphug: :hurray: :party:

Thanks for all the encouragement!

Jen, Are you kidding??? I am too excited to sleep!!!! I will go to bed around 11ish, as usual. I have been thinking about what you suggested. It's hard to run with Selena because we run at very different paces. She is several inches shorter, so her stride is just naturally shorter. I usually run quite a bit ahead of her. But we will see. I want us to across the finish line together tomorrow!!!

Jen, Are you kidding??? I am too excited to sleep!!!! I will go to bed around 11ish, as usual. I have been thinking about what you suggested. It's hard to run with Selena because we run at very different paces. She is several inches shorter, so her stride is just naturally shorter. I usually run quite a bit ahead of her. But we will see. I want us to across the finish line together tomorrow!!!

Generally the rule of thumb is that if you can talk you are going at a good pace for you. I guess you could always talk to yourself. ;) :D hehe

Jen, Are you kidding???

For a second there I thought you were talking to me and I was all :confused:! There are way too many Jens here to do that! :lol: And Heathers...and Sarahs...I think there is one extremely common name that I'm missing.

I think I might. I AM the most interesting person I know. KIDDING!!

:lol::lol::lol::lol: Atta girl!! :) I would be embarrassed to admit how often I talk outloud when nobody else is around. :blushing: Have a GREAT time mama. I expect a full report tomorrow! :)

For a second there I thought you were talking to me and I was all :confused:! There are way too many Jens here to do that! :lol:

LOL Are you a Jen too? I never would have guessed it. Mrs. Jen Mungo.;) :D

And Heathers...and Sarahs...I think there is one extremely common name that I'm missing.

Lisa maybe??

Well, I did it! I am pretty proud of myself. I did make the mistake of stopping at the water station and walking a bit while I drank my water. Then my shins and calves started to cramp up really bad. So I stretched and starting running again. There was a million hills at least. :D

Thanks for all the encouragement!!

Congrats to you! My dh has been running consistently for the past year. He did his first half marathon last weekend. Today...drum roll please...I actually ran with him! Now, I'm not horribly overweight, but I'm certainly not where I'd like to be. I ran for about 20 minutes with him...taking a few walking breaks. AND, our neighborhood is extremely hilly. I was wiped out and just a bit embarrased but felt okay after. I might actually run a 5K with my dh next month. Way to go Nakia!

Well, I did it! I am pretty proud of myself. I did make the mistake of stopping at the water station and walking a bit while I drank my water. Then my shins and calves started to cramp up really bad. So I stretched and starting running again. There was a million hills at least. :D

Way to go Nakia!!! Woo Hoo! I'm so proud of you and your friend. That's great! :) :hurray: :party: :grouphug:

Bananas are great for cramps btw. I eat them all the time because I too suffer from cramps when I run. I think I sweat too much or something. ;) :D

Way to go, Nakia! The hills are the worst!! Someone needs to make a nice flat course somewhere! LOL

I started running this time last year, and today I ran my fifth 5k, and I took my BFF with me who started running earlier this year. She ran nearly the whole distance for the first time ever! We're going to do another 5K together next week! I LOVE races, even though I'm not very fast!

I have my first 10K in 3 weeks! :) And if all goes well, my first half-marathon in 5 months!

Woo Hoo!!! for you runners!

Yeah! And WOO HOO for their sports bras! Thinking about all that running is giving me phantom ouches! Though I used to run cross country back before I required a sports bra. It was fun in a sweaty and tiring way...

Congrats Nakia!

Rosie