Menu

s/o vaccination thread

Joker

What do you do when you find out your closest friends don't vaccinate their 4 dcs? We spend a lot of time with these people and I already knew they were against most medicines and antibiotics but I did not know they refused all vaccinations. I have two dds with respiratory problems. My youngest dd has asthma and a small, narrow, twisted bronchial tube which has given us many problems. She is on daily Rx to prevent her from getting too sick and her left lung from just giving up. Will my dd's be fine as long as they get all their vaccinations or is there a chance they could pick up something from friends? (also found out that our friends closest friends - who have 9 dc - don't vaccinate either)

What do you do when you find out your closest friends don't vaccinate their 4 dcs? We spend a lot of time with these people and I already knew they were against most medicines and antibiotics but I did not know they refused all vaccinations. I have two dds with respiratory problems. My youngest dd has asthma and a small, narrow, twisted bronchial tube which has given us many problems. She is on daily Rx to prevent her from getting too sick and her left lung from just giving up. Will my dd's be fine as long as they get all their vaccinations or is there a chance they could pick up something from friends? (also found out that our friends closest friends - who have 9 dc - don't vaccinate either)

If your dc are vacc'd they should be fine.

I don't know your family's situation, but, personally, I would not be concerned. Vaxing is not a guaranteed "you won't get sick;" it's also unlikely that your friends are carrying anything for which vaxing would be effective. Plus, you've been hanging out with them for some time, and have been fine. I tend to fall into the "don't borrow trouble" camp, especially with illnesses. However, I am blessed with healthy kiddos, so of course, YMMV. Best to you in your discernment!

we stopped vaxing for a while..and I think that often parents who don't vax are very aware of what contagious childhood diseases look like and are on the alert for them. Just from my experience and from observing other moms around me who delayed vaxes..we were the ones more likely to keep our kids home if they seemed sick with something. I hope no one takes offense at that...totally limited to my own experience, but I did see many friends who did all the vaxes being very cavalier about their kids being sick, not trying to keep them home. Maybe feeling more "protected" since they had all their shots?

Several instances I can recall of friends, fresh from shots at the Dr.'s, lifting child's shirt and asking me if the rash looks like a shot reaction or a rash...after asking if they just had the live measles vax... I'd have to gather my kids and excuse ourselves!

If your friends seems responsible, I wouldn't worry about it myself. Just my limited 2 cents worth...

I can't understand your worry. You believe in the power and worth of vaccinations, and your kids are vaccinated, how exactly are the unvaccinated kids endangering yours?

I guess I worry that the unvaccinated could pick something up and pass it on to my child - that mayble my dd's vaccine wouldn't work as well as its supposed to. I have taken for granted that those in my circle vaccinate their child(ren) so I haven't had to worry about my dds. I was asking to see if anyone could let me know that as long as I vaccinate my own I don't have to worry about others. I wanted to know if I needed to worry about being too close to those who do not vaccinate.

My thought would be to keep my kids away from other sick kids regardless of whether they were vaccinated or not. If everyone is well, it's fine. If someone is sick, keep your distance. Since you can be contagious before you show symptoms, practice good hygiene. Use those sanitary hand wipes at the grocery store. Carry a bottle of hand sanitizer. Wash hands frequently. That's going to be your best bet...not avoiding healthy kids who aren't vaccinated.

Vaccines aren't 100% protective, especially if you haven't had the full course yet, but I seriously doubt your kids are at greater risk around unvaccinated kids than around those that have been vaccinated. If anything, it could be the other way around due to live vaccines and a false sense of safety making mom think that x symptoms couldn't possibly be y disease because the child had been vaccinated against it.

we stopped vaxing for a while..and I think that often parents who don't vax are very aware of what contagious childhood diseases look like and are on the alert for them. Just from my experience and from observing other moms around me who delayed vaxes..we were the ones more likely to keep our kids home if they seemed sick with something. I hope no one takes offense at that...totally limited to my own experience, but I did see many friends who did all the vaxes being very cavalier about their kids being sick, not trying to keep them home. Maybe feeling more "protected" since they had all their shots?

Several instances I can recall of friends, fresh from shots at the Dr.'s, lifting child's shirt and asking me if the rash looks like a shot reaction or a rash...after asking if they just had the live measles vax... I'd have to gather my kids and excuse ourselves!

If your friends seems responsible, I wouldn't worry about it myself. Just my limited 2 cents worth...

I find this interesting because it is not the case with our friends. I have always wanted to keep my kids in when they are sick (admittedly because they get sicker than most) but I have not seen this in others. I have never felt that my dds were "more" protected. I have kept them in when they are sick because I know they can get very ill if they are already compromised and around others who are sick. I guess what I was really asking is if vaccines are truly going to protect my dds. Wil they protect them even if they are around others who may have picked up certain illnesses? I don't want to put down those who do not vaccinate - I am just trying to find out as much as I can.

In your case, I would be equally cautious with vax'ed and non-vax'ed friends. There are plenty of viruses out there without preventative vaccines, and it sounds as if those could be plenty dangerous for your children. I'd focus on that aspect.

I guess I worry that the unvaccinated could pick something up and pass it on to my child - that mayble my dd's vaccine wouldn't work as well as its supposed to. I have taken for granted that those in my circle vaccinate their child(ren) so I haven't had to worry about my dds. I was asking to see if anyone could let me know that as long as I vaccinate my own I don't have to worry about others. I wanted to know if I needed to worry about being too close to those who do not vaccinate.

Actually, assuming vaccination is 100% effective in preventing disease or minimizing severity (which it's not, but for the sake of argument...) your vaccinated children are far more likely to pick something up and infect their unvaccinated friends than vice versa. Just because you're immune from developing disease doesn't mean you can't pass the bug along (a dear friend gave me chicken pox as an adult this way).

We have friends in both camps and I have had experience with both vaxing and non-vaxing parents who were quite cavalier about exposing others. It solely depends on the parents.

I would be vigilant about exposing your kids to anyone who was ill, just because of their health status.

Actually, assuming vaccination is 100% effective in preventing disease or minimizing severity (which it's not, but for the sake of argument...) your vaccinated children are far more likely to pick something up and infect their unvaccinated friends than vice versa. Just because you're immune from developing disease doesn't mean you can't pass the bug along (a dear friend gave me chicken pox as an adult this way).

We have friends in both camps and I have had experience with both vaxing and non-vaxing parents who were quite cavalier about exposing others. It solely depends on the parents.

I would be vigilant about exposing your kids to anyone who was ill, just because of their health status.

Yes, assuming that vacs work the way they are supposed to your friends children are much more at risk of getting something from your children than the other way around. The things that you need to be worried about are the things that they do not have vacs for especially respirtory diseases.

I have not read all the replies, but you might consider evaluating any further vaccines very carefully before giving more to your dd with the respiratory problems.

I am 46 and have had chronic asthma all my life. I am still on several asthma meds. The meds have improved greatly from the ones available in the 60's and 70's. I had to take meds while pregnant with each of my 3 kids. No choice there . . . I had to be able to breathe for the safety of each baby.

After my third, I began to do some research on vaccines. I personally stopped taking the annual flu shot, although that idea made me nervous.

I still usually get one chest cold per year now, but not as bad as it used to be. Even though I would take the annual flu shot I would always become very sick shortly after the shot. Sick to the point I would need to go to the hospital and take oral steroids for a week or two. I can't think of the last time I had to use oral steroids.

Could be a coincidence, but many opponents of the annual flu shot feel that shot is pretty useless and actually helps people become ill.

Please make sure you never have your dd with breathing problems vaccinated if she is ill. That is contraindicated for almost every single vaccine out there.

Adrianne in IL