Menu

My poor cow is sick.

I'm not sure if she is going to make it. She was fine yesterday morning, but last night, had a fever of 104. I think she has Pneumonia.

Miss Good gave her steroids and antibiotics last night. This morning she was better, but now her fever is up to 105.5.

A few hours ago, the vet said to give her the strongest antibiotic he can legally prescribe, but she does not seem to be responding to it.

I know these things are a fact of life, but it is still hard.

She is 3, and just had a a healthy calf a month ago. My oldest TOLD me not to buy a Jersey because they are so over bred for milk production.

Someday I'll learn listen to her.

Oh wow. I love Jersey cows. They are so precious. I really hope she is ok. :grouphug:

We have calcium, but Milk fever doesn't really cause a fever.

The vet is afraid that it might be viral in that case there is nothing we can do.

We gave her some more Dex, and her fever is back down to 104. That's still too high, but at least not climbing any higher.

We just milked her, and she is still eating and drinking which is a good sign.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for her.

She is really sweet. We just milk her on the driveway without a stanchion or anything. She is so tame.

The problem is that she is a small cow producing 6 1/2 gallons of milk each day. She was over stressed by that, and then we had a cold front followed by 98 degree days. I think that put her over the edge.

Miss Good talked to her "goat mentor" tonight. She doesn't believe it could be viral because the cow has been on our property since last Christmas, and there hasn't been anyone here sick for her to catch anything from.

If April is still alive in the morning, we will try a a more broad antibiotic. The ones we have tried have been very strong, but also very targeted, so that could be part of the problem.

Amy,

Does she have an odor? She may have metritis if she freshened a month ago. It is too late for milk fever but she may be ketotic. You can check her urine and if she has ketones give her 8oz. of propylene glycol orally. Metritis can cause a fever, did she clean ok after delivery? Did you have to pull the calf? Any diarrhea? Stop giving her steroids. If she has pneumonia that is only suppressing her immune system. Is she coughing, heavy breathing, or does she have a nasal discharge? All signs of possible pneumonia. Hardware disease is another real possibility. Traumatic reticuloperitonitis is the real name. Calving pushes hardware (nails, etc.) in the reticulum through the wall of that stomach compartment and leads to an abscess either in the abdomen or the chest if it goes through the diaphragm. Can cause fever. Does she have a magnet? PM me if you need more info on this, might be what is happening as the timing is right.

Soph

Thanks Soph!

We did not need to pull the calf, but we were there for the birth, and she did not have any trouble. A few days later, she did develop Ketosis. We gave her 4 days of Propylene Glycol and started feeding her mixed whole grains. She had been completely grass fed before this.

Saturday morning was the first day that she did not have Ketones in her milk. We were so excited that she was getting better. Saturday night she started running the fever.

I bought her from a family that rescued her when she was on death's door last year. Neither of us have information about whether or not she ever had a magnet put in. I was afraid to give her one in case she already had one.

She has a runny nose and slight cough with her fever, and the timing coincides with when it got so hot and humid again after we had a cold front. That is what makes me think it is pneumonia.

Saturday night, Miss good gave her Banamine and Dex and Nuflor. Sunday morning she was much better, but as the Dex wore off, it became clear that the Nuflor wasn't really working.

Sunday afternoon, she gave her Baytril and more Bananime, but by evening her temp was 105.5. Our vet doesn't like us to use Dex because it masks the symptoms, and he can't tell if they are responding to the antibiotics, but last night he said we could go ahead and give her another dose because she just could not survive her temp continuing to rise all night.

She was better again a few hours later. Miss Good wants to know if she could try Tylan 200 today. she said something about microplast, or bacteria without a cell wall that might need a different antibiotic. I didn't really understand what she said, but I think it is ironic that I have done such a poor job of teaching Science all of these years, and my 15 year olds bathroom looks like a pharmacy. There is no makeup in there, but every size hypodermic sold and plenty of drugs!

April is up and eating this morning. we will take her temperature again when we milk. We are supposed to be getting the number of a vet who specializes in dairy cows. we will call him as soon as we get it.

Thanks for everyones advice, prayers and well wishes!

I know! She is delicate. That's why Miss Good bought a heritage, dual purpose breed, and told me I was crazy when I bought a Jersey...but I was in love and would not listen to reason. You know how it is.

We were happy to discover that her calf is 1/4 Angus. I think she will be a good family milker without as many problems. If April survives, we plan to breed her to a Dexter bull for smaller, stronger calves.

If you think of the horse antibiotic, let me know, and I'll see if we have it.

wrt magnet issue -- you may be able to tell if she already has a magnet in by holding a compass close to her side, ours made the compass wobble

wrt the jersey issue -- it depends on the breeding and bloodlines. Not all are delicate, but they will very likely need some supplementation if fed only on grass when they're in full milk.

Ugh. I think Baytril and Nuflor suck. There's an antibiotic for horses, and the name escapes me right now. I'd try it on your cow.

I hope she gets better. Dairy cows seem to be so delicate.

Hold your horses, Remudamom! :auto: Sorry, couldn't resist. Not everything that is OK for horses is OK for cows! (Take Rompun for example, you can use it but if you gave a cow a horse dose it would be dead). Some antibiotics are prohibited because of milk and meat withdrawal time, etc. Like Gentocin (common horse antibiotic), if you give Gentocin to a cow (which some do but I don't unless they are dying) you might just as well marry the cow because you can never sell the milk or meat. Just saying.

Mycoplasma pneumonia may respond to LA-200 (Tetracycline). If that is what you are dealing with. Naxcel is good too at a higher dose to get gram negatives, like double the label dose, but expensive.

She can have an aspirin bolus to help bring her fever down. Please quit the Dex unless she is DYING! It is only making an infection worse. Banamine will mask things too.

wrt magnet issue -- you may be able to tell if she already has a magnet in by holding a compass close to her side, ours made the compass wobble

wrt the jersey issue -- it depends on the breeding and bloodlines. Not all are delicate, but they will very likely need some supplementation if fed only on grass when they're in full milk.

Yes, hold the compass under her sternum.

Hold your horses, Remudamom! :auto: Sorry, couldn't resist. Not everything that is OK for horses is OK for cows! (Take Rompun for example, you can use it but if you gave a cow a horse dose it would be dead). Some antibiotics are prohibited because of milk and meat withdrawal time, etc. Like Gentocin (common horse antibiotic), if you give Gentocin to a cow (which some do but I don't unless they are dying) you might just as well marry the cow because you can never sell the milk or meat. Just saying.

Mycoplasma pneumonia may respond to LA-200 (Tetracycline). If that is what you are dealing with. Naxcel is good too at a higher dose to get gram negatives, like double the label dose, but expensive.

She can have an aspirin bolus to help bring her fever down. Please quit the Dex unless she is DYING! It is only making an infection worse. Banamine will mask things too.

Such good advice. I haven't seen anything about b12 shots, but I know when we have sick cows this is one of our first line of defense. Has she been on fescue grass? That has caused problems before in a neighbor's cows. Not sure what the issue may be.

What about her water source? Has it been tested? Here on our homeplace, we have to haul water in--STINKS!!--it is extremely high in Nitrogen. We don't drink our water either.

I agree stop the Dex--it is doing more harm then good unless she is dying. We lost a horse trying this. ;o( She had copd.