Menu

How do you use the KJV Bible (cc)?

FairProspects

I keep reading that we should use the King James version of the Bible to get the most out of our Great Book studies, but how do you use it in your homeschool? We tried doing the Proverb/day of the month with it, but Dh asked to please use something else for reading aloud because of all the "eth"s. Also, I want my kids to understand Bible, and they completely tune out when I read from the KJV.

We have been doing weekly memory verses out of the KJV, but I cannot figure out how to incorporate it more than that or how to use it without losing all meaning of the passage for my kids. They are still just learning basic Bible stories so if you add in language difficulties it becomes too overwhelming for them. If you use KJV, when did you introduce it and how do you use it?

We do Bible reading every night as a family. We read the whole Bible each year using a schedule that involves reading 2-3 chapters of the OT and then 1/2 - 1 chapter of the NT. My children have listened to the KJV language all their lives, and they are familiar and comfortable with it. They don't need the language made easier for them any more than children in centuries past did.

It is *much* easier to read a modern translation after you've read the KJV all your life than the other way around.

(I don't mean this to sound snobby; all of you know from previous posts that my kids are not literary giants. But they are quite comfortable with earlier forms of the English language just from doing Bible reading every day.)

I've recently thought to myself that parents in ages past read KJV to their children, so what's our problem today? But maybe our spoken language in general is much less formal than it used to be, so maybe that's why it sounds so foreign to our children? Compare early American literature and historical documents to the way we speak and write today. I don't know. I have read KJV to my children once or twice. But their Bibles are NKJV. Maybe that could be a compromise?

We personally do not use the KJV version. I feel like my ds would tune out, although I have never actually tried the KJV with him :glare:. I have heard in various books (one being Ruth Beechick) that KJV is the version to use for Scripture memorization.

We use the NLT or ESV. Personal view on it is that you are reading and studying the Word and that is what is important. Not what translation you are using (well as long as it is true and accurate).

You might try posting this question on the high school board since they are the ones currently in Great Books study and will be able to tell you how using/or not using the KJV has affected their children in their studies.

I also recently heard that KJV would help prepare for the great books - but I really hadn't planned to switch versions. But now your post has got me thinking!!

I do a verse or two with my daughter for memory purposes, but we generally use an easier version if we are studying the Bible, I will use the KJV more often as my children get older.

The rest of the family, husband included, claim it is not in English, but I love the language. (I also like Shakespeare, and think that is in English.)

My phonics lessons use the complete text of Romans after each lesson, my remedial students eventually hear all of Romans in the KJV! Every pastor I've had and also my husband have tried to convince me to switch to an easier version, but it's actually very valuable for several reasons:

1. It sets high goals--most of my students do end up being able to work their way through it, and even if they do not end up at the 12th grade level of the KJV, I think they end up higher than if I had set a lower end goal.

2. It has less sight words--most of my students are suffering from too many sight words, the use of many words that have to be sounded out forces them to switch over from their guessing habits more so than a version which has been rewritten at a lower grade level to include simpler words and more sight words.

3. I get to teach several phonics rules based on the older words used, for example,

ye--long like be and me because it ends in a vowel

make + eth = maketh, I explain how words that end in an e and suffixes that end in a e combine and drop an e, making one e that is used for 2 purposes

4. They get very excited about being able to read a text at the 12th grade level written with difficult, archaic words. I don't think they would get as excited at reading a simpler version of the Bible.

Edited by ElizabethB

I guess it depends on your goals.

We occasionally throw in a verse or two from the King James, and we also looked at it this week as part of our history lesson. I don't think KJV prepares children for GB study. For me, GB study is all about analysing the work; appreciating the language is fine, but archaic language is found in very few of the GB's we chose to study--Fagles' translations of the Greek works, Bede and Augustine and other Church Fathers, modern GB's--these don't use the same language as the KJV, so that argument doesn't hold water for me. Now, does reading it build vocab and "brain skills?" Maybe. But there are other ways to do that.

I read the Bible in order to apply it to my life, and my kids do the same. Knowing about God, "great cloud of witnesses," etc. etc. Appreciating the 23rd Psalm in the KJV, well, that is something we value. Wading thru the -eths, Thees, Thous, etc.--not so much.

One thing I find rather fascinating--Dh is always saying that the KJV was written in the vernacular/style of its time; it's perfectly fine to read the Bible in a more modern version, as the intention of the KJV translation was to make it understandable! lol

I did understand Shakespear and other classics easily in high school, which I attribute to reading King James as a child. However, I didn't understand the Bible until I started reading the NIV. Not in any particular depth. So, the children have NIVs. But using Rod & Staff, they do get a lot of exposure to KJV too.

I read a chapter from the KJV and my 6 year old son narrates. His narration is usually retelling the passage. He does very well. Sometimes I let him draw a scene or make up a few questions to ask me. If he is lucky I ask him questions. That is easier for him than Charlotte Mason style narration.

He has listened to the New International Reader's Version before and I think that really helped him. It is a bit easier than the NIV. It is a very good Beginners Bible. It is not a Bible story book, but a Bible. I used to read him only the famous stories. We'd skip parts I thought would be boring or too graphic. Before we used the NIrV, he enjoyed story Bibles. We sang songs with actions. He has always paid close attention and enjoyed Bible Time.

My 4 and 2 year old are not able to understand the KJV. They do not even try to pay attention to it. They like story Bibles with pictures.

Oops, I forgot to say what we read.

We start at the beginning of a book and read a chapter. The next day we read the next chapter. We read Genesis. It was great. Now we are on Exodus.

I have not gotten through Leviticus myself and I won't make him sit through it. I haven't planned exactly how we'll go through the old testament. I know he'll like to hear about David, Jonah, Daniel and other famous people.

I have read to him from Matthew before and he did not "get" the big ideas and metaphors like an adult. His narrations were iffy. A whole lot was going over his head. It seems to me that the New Testament requires more maturity to understand.

We only use the KJV. There are a few reasons why. First if you look into it more modern day version really change some of the scripture meanings, leave out words, and in some cases actually omit several verses. Secondly, we believe there is no greater book written than the KJV Holy Bible and what better way to teach my children to appreciate true literature. Now I should mention we have always taught our children only from the KJV and our church only uses the KJV so my children are very comfortable with the language. It may take some time getting used to but my children love our nightly read alouds and our morning studies. Please let me note this is just my opinion. You need to do what works for your family.

We only use the KJV. There are a few reasons why. First if you look into it more modern day version really change some of the scripture meanings, leave out words, and in some cases actually omit several verses. Secondly, we believe there is no greater book written than the KJV Holy Bible and what better way to teach my children to appreciate true literature. Now I should mention we have always taught our children only from the KJV and our church only uses the KJV so my children are very comfortable with the language. It may take some time getting used to but my children love our nightly read alouds and our morning studies. Please let me note this is just my opinion. You need to do what works for your family.

:iagree:

My children have never read or studied anything other than the KJV and they have no problem whatsoever understanding any of it because it's the job of the Holy Spirit to bring enlightenment and He does a mighty fine job of that. We love the language, love every single little bitty word, find it easy to memorize and discuss. We use it for all kinds of things: memorizing, copywork & dictation, reading for pleasure, reading for study, for correction in righteousness, even for singing. It may take some getting used to if a child isn't familiar with it, I guess. But, it's just so beautiful and the Holy Spirit does teach us just what we need to know to understand it.

Edited by Donna T.

My children have never read or studied anything other than the KJV and they have no problem whatsoever understanding any of it because it's the job of the Holy Spirit to bring enlightenment and He does a mighty fine job of that. We love the language, love every single little bitty word, find it easy to memorize and discuss. We use it for all kinds of things: memorizing, copywork & dictation, reading for pleasure, reading for study, for correction in righteousness, even for singing. It may take some getting used to if a child isn't familiar with it, I guess. But, it's just so beautiful and the Holy Spirit does teach us just what we need to know to understand it.

:hurray: couldn't have said it better myself. I also wanted to add that the study of your bible should be something special. It is the work of the Lord and should not rank right up there with Grammar and Math. Even if you find it hard to understand, I can testify to the fact that with alot of prayer and study you will begin to see the light!

We use KJV for Bible memory. It is generally more concise than modern versions and of course has beautiful language. We are using NKJV for the readings in our Bible class. Our goal is to move toward using KJV exclusively and NKJV seems a good way to do that. My 8yo has no problem understanding it.

Another lesser-known option is the 21st Century KJV. It is even closer to the original KJV, with more the "thees and thous" updated.

http://www.biblegateway.com/versions/21st-Century-King-James-Version-KJ21-Bible/

Edited by birchbark

We only use the KJV. There are a few reasons why. First if you look into it more modern day version really change some of the scripture meanings, leave out words, and in some cases actually omit several verses.

This is an arguable point. Having been in KJV-only churches in the past, I know what their argument is here, but their argument as to the so-called "most accurate" status of the KJV is arguable. For one thing, the KJV used in America isn't even the same thing as the *original* 1611 KJV. Many American KJV Bibles have the credit to King James noted in the front, but it's misleading and, well, just simply not accurate. :)

In answer to the op, for our family, we've settled on either the NKJV (simpler version of the American KJV), the NASB (a literal, accurate translation from the original text), or the ESV (an easier "discussional" flow than the NASB, but more literal than the NIV). I agree with those who've said that reading the KJV Bible doesn't necessarily provide anymore literary benefit than reading unabridged classics.... and certainly not the only way to hear, read, and understand the Gospel and the whole counsel of God. I do think it's wonderful for memorization, though.

We've never used anything but KJV. Honestly, reading the Bible in modern English always sounds odd to me. :001_smile: I usually just read the stories out loud to my kids, stopping every so often to make sure they understand what is going on. I think it's easier to understand King James English when it's spoken than when you're reading to yourself. You might want to make sure you preread the passages before reading out loud to make sure that you know what's coming up and don't stumble over the thees and thous and eths.

This is an arguable point. Having been in KJV-only churches in the past, I know what their argument is here, but their argument as to the so-called "most accurate" status of the KJV is arguable. For one thing, the KJV used in America isn't even the same thing as the *original* 1611 KJV. Many American KJV Bibles have the credit to King James noted in the front, but it's misleading and, well, just simply not accurate. :)

In answer to the op, for our family, we've settled on either the NKJV (simpler version of the American KJV), the NASB (a literal, accurate translation from the original text), or the ESV (an easier "discussional" flow than the NASB, but more literal than the NIV). I agree with those who've said that reading the KJV Bible doesn't necessarily provide anymore literary benefit than reading unabridged classics.... and certainly not the only way to hear, read, and understand the Gospel and the whole counsel of God. I do think it's wonderful for memorization, though.

Just wanted to comment we use the 1611 KJV and we also have a recent KJV and they are exactly the same except for the way some of the words are spelled since the spelling has changed in modern day. Just in case you are interested in why I have this opinion here is a great website that gives you some brief examples of the differences in KJV and NASB.

http://www.hissheep.org/kjv/a_comparison_of_the_kjv_nasb.html

Just wanted to comment we use the 1611 KJV and we also have a recent KJV and they are exactly the same except for the way some of the words are spelled since the spelling has changed in modern day. Just in case you are interested in why I have this opinion here is a great website that gives you some brief examples of the differences in KJV and NASB.

http://www.hissheep.org/kjv/a_comparison_of_the_kjv_nasb.html

I've seen the comparisons before. We've been in KJV-only churches that used to hand out flyers condemning every translation except the KJV. Our (current) pastor who's a Greek scholar would argue that just because there's some differences in wording doesn't make non-KJV translations inaccurate. In fact, a couple of them may be more accurate than the KJV, as far as intent and context, because of the results of the translation. The Greek language is a very, VERY deep language. We've done the research, along with much prayer, and are not convinced that the KJV is the "only" accurate translation. Sorry.

FTR, I'm not anti-KJV. I have and still refer to my KJV with many notes and highlights that I've made over the years. But I am against the claim that it's the only accurate translation.

For those who are interested, here's a link delineating the history of the English Bible in general, including the KJV:

http://www.greatsite.com/timeline-english-bible-history/

We only use it because of tradition... Luke 2, etc. Some verses just come to me in KJV because I learned them that way, but most come back in NIV. We're moving more to ESV now so I guess the kids' memories will be in NIV and ESV.

BTW, our son attends college and they use the Great Books for Literature courses. They don't use KJV. No problem.

You may be interested in these links:

http://www.davnet.org/kevin/articles/kjvbible.html

http://www.kjv-only.com/

http://www.evangelicaloutreach.org/kjvo.htm

I was looking at Highlands Latin school and Memoria Press, and they also use the Golden Children's Bible for Christian studies which is supposed to be a "slightly" modified KJV for children. Does anyone use this version? Has is worked for you? We are thinking that it might be an acceptable alternative for the grammar stage, moving to the official KJV in the logic stage.