Menu

Cursive help, please

ElizabethB

Handwriting has always been a struggle for us.

I used HWT for print and liked it, but do not like their cursive. I have "I Can Write Cursive" and like their cursive, but don't like they way they teach it--I need something that breaks out the strokes better and teaches more incrementally.

Don Potter likes Zaner-Bloser, I'm thinking of getting that, but don't like the price of the teacher's manual ($70! Ouch. I can afford it if need be, but that seems like a lot, although I will use it with 2 children and pass it on if it is good.)

Any other suggestions? Any good programs free online at Google Books?

Thanks.

(We're doing ZB on the iPhone app "abc Pocket Phonics," that's going over pretty well, but the lowercase cursive letters are a bit small to do well, my perfectionistic daughter gets mad that she can't trace it perfectly--I can't trace it perfectly! Their uppercase print is the perfect size, my son is using that with success.)

We've tried Abeka and Reason for Handwriting with lots of frustration and tears and I just ordered HWT hoping it would give the instruction we need. If it doesn't work then I think I need to just come up with something on my own. I wouldn't be inclined to spend $70 on cursive. I look forward to hearing more responses.

Trish

How To Tutor has a cursive handwriting workbook that breaks down each stroke. It's only $11.95 and I think you said before that you have the HTT book. If not you dont need it. The workbook basically just covers the individual letters and then I make my own worksheets putting the letters she has learned together into three letter words.

How To Tutor has a cursive handwriting workbook that breaks down each stroke. It's only $11.95 and I think you said before that you have the HTT book. If not you dont need it. The workbook basically just covers the individual letters and then I make my own worksheets putting the letters she has learned together into three letter words.

I do have the HTT book somewhere...I just have to find it in this house! Maybe between that and the ZB student book (that's reasonable) and their online handwriting sheets, I can figure this out, thanks!

Have you considered doing it on your own?

Ds did better with MY handwriting worksheets than he has with his new workbook. We started with the individual letters of his name, then his name, then we filled in the blanks.

From there, we did copywork. His cursive is nice, even if he's still not too good at using it for original writing. Now, he does his spelling in cursive.

Take a look at Peterson Directed.

It does just as you want. It starts with basic strokes, not actual letters, and has kids (and the odd mom :)) tracing the letters in the air to get a real feel for the motion. It's particular about grip and posture and reveals the rhythm in handwriting.

It's even improved my own handwriting by leaps and bounds.

It's one of those programs I wish people here were more familiar with. It really deserves a lot more attention.

How about using the HWT teacher's manual for ideas to teach your child to write on normal paper? You wouldn't have to stick with HWT script.

I used HWT first grade teacher's manual to teach my son to print on blank paper. He had a hard time tracing and writing on lined paper so this arrangement was great for him. (I got the manual on PaperBackSwap, so it was a cheap method too.:D) Eventually he wrote on normal, wide ruled paper. Teaching this way worked out so well I plan to use the HWT teacher's manual to teach him cursive. I won't use the workbook. I don't like the lines and font.

Have you looked into Cursive First? It breaks the strokes down, teaches in order of similar stroked letters, then practices multi-letter phonograms. I'm not thrilled about the actual work-pages...they are fine, just nothing fancy. I LOVE the yellow flashcards! I use StartWrite to make copywork and practice pages....I still use CF methodology though.

I like the PDH way of coloring the letters green/brown/red for learning the strokes too. dd4 will sit with the little student book and a loose piece of paper just practicing letters b/c it's easy to see where to start-etc... I don't use the PDH method...I just like the way they illustrate the letters:tongue_smilie: CF is just simpler.

I love, love, love Getty-Dubay Italic! We started out with HWOT, and it was easy to use, but it didn't translate well to their regular handwriting. With G-D, I saw an almost immediate difference in both kids' writings, which were, to be kind, atrocious.

Each book is about $7 and the teacher's guide is about the same. I'm not sure you really need the TG, but I did get some good tips from it before we started the program.

How about using the HWT teacher's manual for ideas to teach your child to write on normal paper? You wouldn't have to stick with HWT script.

I used HWT first grade teacher's manual to teach my son to print on blank paper. He had a hard time tracing and writing on lined paper so this arrangement was great for him. (I got the manual on PaperBackSwap, so it was a cheap method too.:D) Eventually he wrote on normal, wide ruled paper. Teaching this way worked out so well I plan to use the HWT teacher's manual to teach him cursive. I won't use the workbook. I don't like the lines and font.

Hmm...I did like the HWT methodology for printing.

Have you looked into Cursive First? It breaks the strokes down, teaches in order of similar stroked letters, then practices multi-letter phonograms. I'm not thrilled about the actual work-pages...they are fine, just nothing fancy. I LOVE the yellow flashcards! I use StartWrite to make copywork and practice pages....I still use CF methodology though.

I like the PDH way of coloring the letters green/brown/red for learning the strokes too. dd4 will sit with the little student book and a loose piece of paper just practicing letters b/c it's easy to see where to start-etc... I don't use the PDH method...I just like the way they illustrate the letters:tongue_smilie: CF is just simpler.

Simpler is good!

I love, love, love Getty-Dubay Italic! We started out with HWOT, and it was easy to use, but it didn't translate well to their regular handwriting. With G-D, I saw an almost immediate difference in both kids' writings, which were, to be kind, atrocious.

Each book is about $7 and the teacher's guide is about the same. I'm not sure you really need the TG, but I did get some good tips from it before we started the program.

Cheap and easy is good!

Ack!! I can see myself ending up with as many cursive programs as phonics programs, and I've been collecting them for 15 years.

I found a cheap traditional cursive workbook at Staples which I like. I usually make my own copy work for him with traditional cursive that I write from McGuffey revised readers:). I use a composition notebook and write the copy work on top and let him copy on the bottom.

There was another homeschooling thread that also had a link to a cursive font as well.

We used HWoT for a while, but it just didn't seem to work for my boys. We have been using Cursive Connections from Rainbow and it is great. They've even been doing other work in cursive without me telling them to and they're not even halfway thru the book. We started with Book B, but they do have a Book A.

It shows at the top of the page the strokes for the letter, correct slant, position on the line, and other things. I really like it. Also, it was pretty inexpensive, maybe $7 per book. Its just open and go, the ONLY independent thing here!

HTH,

Kim

Last minute this year, I decided to go with Abeka Kindergarten mainly because they have an option of cursive handwriting in K. I've been pleased with my decision thus far. My son, who has done zero handwriting before this year, is learning cursive first, although he is only tracing so far, and will probably continue that way throughout this year. I'm ok with the cursive font in ABB, but not entirely thrilled, so I'll change programs for next year. I've been interested in New American Cursive that Memoria Press sells on their website. The font is simplified and the first book is written specifically for 1st grade, so I'm imagining it's fairly gentle. I didn't notice anyone mentioning it, so I'm not sure how many are familiar with the program.

It does just as you want. It starts with basic strokes, not actual letters, and has kids (and the odd mom :)) tracing the letters in the air to get a real feel for the motion. It's particular about grip and posture and reveals the rhythm in handwriting.

It's one of those programs I wish people here were more familiar with. It really deserves a lot more attention.

:iagree:

I really like how they break the letters down into the strokes and use different colors in their models so that kids can see what to do.

http://www.peterson-handwriting.com/ that link didn't work... I might end up needing this too. Sigh.

http://www.peterson-handwriting.com/ that link didn't work... I might end up needing this too. Sigh.

I didn't really understand people who said "I couldn't teach my children" until I started trying to teach handwriting.

I'm also picky about the way the cursive looks, that makes it tougher to figure out. I don't want to mix instruction for one book with another type of cursive, but I may have to.

Is the ZB not working out for you? Do you have the teacher's manual?

I don't have the TM. I wonder what it includes. I have the TM for Getty-Dubay and it was not all that helpful. ZB seems to have the same type of thing in their student books. (Posture, pencil grip, paper position, slant, etc.)

I am trying a salt tray and writing in the air, along with sandpaper letters and constant supervision. We went back to manuscript because since we started cursive she has forgotten how to write manuscript. She will mix captital and lowercase letters and she will make all of her lowercase letters on the same line in the same size. K and t are no taller, p does not have a tail, etc... She also has even more trouble with numbers, so I am particularly emphasizing those right now.

I don't have the TM. I wonder what it includes. I have the TM for Getty-Dubay and it was not all that helpful. ZB seems to have the same type of thing in their student books. (Posture, pencil grip, paper position, slant, etc.)

I am trying a salt tray and writing in the air, along with sandpaper letters and constant supervision. We went back to manuscript because since we started cursive she has forgotten how to write manuscript. She will mix captital and lowercase letters and she will make all of her lowercase letters on the same line in the same size. K and t are no taller, p does not have a tail, etc... She also has even more trouble with numbers, so I am particularly emphasizing those right now.

They have a sample here (you have to hit the link). It might actually be worth the $70, but that is a bit steep without someone saying it worked well for them.

http://www.zaner-bloser.com/educator/products/handwriting/index.aspx?id=6202

HWT worked really well for us for printing and especially numbers. My daughter struggled more with numbers than letters.

Thanks Elizabeth. It feels like every time we take a step forward we take another step back. Sigh.

I'm there with you with handwriting and math. At least this summer we played RS addition games, all she forgot was her subtraction and a few other things.

But, she can memorize Bible verses faster than me and learns phonics easily! (Except for the rules.)

Just wondering does anyone here question the necessity of learning cursive? I'm going to teach T how to read it just in case a situation arises where it is needed...but really isn't it very archaic? I read an interesting article in the NYT that sums up the problems with "cursive". The link is in my blog. For me T balks at any handwriting lesson we do...I have to push him do HWOT printing. I don't think I could handle a cursive battle!

Just wondering does anyone here question the necessity of learning cursive? I'm going to teach T how to read it just in case a situation arises where it is needed...but really isn't it very archaic?

No. Learning to write in cursive has benefits for neurological development. It can be a challenge for some kids, but do you really want to take the "easy way out" and skip something that is beneficial for brain development?

I teach cursive for the same reason I teach Latin and playing a musical instrument.

Just wondering does anyone here question the necessity of learning cursive? I'm going to teach T how to read it just in case a situation arises where it is needed...but really isn't it very archaic? I read an interesting article in the NYT that sums up the problems with "cursive". The link is in my blog. For me T balks at any handwriting lesson we do...I have to push him do HWOT printing. I don't think I could handle a cursive battle!

Just wanted to mention that the NYT article was written by Inga Dubay and Barbara Getty. They are the authors of the Getty-Dubay Italic Handwriting Program. Perhaps the information in the Times article is unbaised, but the authors do stand to make a dollar or two if folks agree with their perspective and buy their program. :)

I needed something simple for my ds, who, at age 11, still isn't writing cursive fluently. I looked at but did not like HWT, my older kids used ABeka but it was too fancy for this ds. I got Cursive First, and I'm doing my own thing with it. I'm not using the worksheets, I'm just using this for a model of how to form the letters, and I'm making up the "progression" of practice as I go along, depending on what he needs to learn and according to his pace (super slow).

I got a composition book with the dotted midline. I fill a page with letters or phonograms using my own handwriting, and I leave space for him to copy. That's it! Quick and simple. We do one page per day, and it only takes a few minutes. I'm using the SWR phonograms in the order of how the strokes are formed -- for instance, all the circle letters first, a, c, g, d, ... starting with single letters and progressing to multi-letter phonograms. Double bonus -- practicing the phonograms is helping him with reading and with spelling.

This particular kid has fine motor problems, maybe it's time for OT, so I am not pushing it with him. That's where we are right now; it's super simple, but he's doing it. I've learned the hard way that consistency is the key, and so we are being consistent, dog-gonnit.

This particular kid has fine motor problems, maybe it's time for OT, so I am not pushing it with him. That's where we are right now; it's super simple, but he's doing it. I've learned the hard way that consistency is the key, and so we are being consistent, dog-gonnit.
Yes. That is my problem. With such a bright child I thought that I could get away with inconsistency. I am learning now, and so is she. :)

No. Learning to write in cursive has benefits for neurological development. It can be a challenge for some kids, but do you really want to take the "easy way out" and skip something that is beneficial for brain development?

I teach cursive for the same reason I teach Latin and playing a musical instrument.

:iagree:

Just an anecdotal bit of evidence - my ds6 was sent to an OT at 4yo for fm delays...he actually strongly encouraged me to homeschool to shelter him from being "pushed" too hard and too early in preschool/kindy in terms of handwriting.:001_huh:

After MONTHS of working with him on cursive (pulling out every trick in the book, including the messiest gross motor mediums LOL), he finally wrote on his own, for fun...compulsively......and in ALL CAPS (I never taught him CAPS:001_huh:) It wasn't too long after that he began writing well (with pencil/paper) in cursive. Suffice it to say, I think teaching my then 4-5yo *cursive* was key in remediating some fm delays.

My ds6 doesn't always like handwriting, but I figure if I do cursive first it's a battle I only have to win once. (and the printing has already come quite naturally after teaching cursive...I have had to do VERY little work with him on print. He has reversal issues mainly due to vision problems, which is likely another good reason to teach cursive.)