Menu

A Tale of Two Cities or Great Expectations?

Great Expectations is a little easier, imo. Two Cities is very bloody, very descriptive of some really heinous (albiet true) acts that were perpetrated upon the French people (and by them).

First, which fits better into what you're doing with history at that time (we're going to Two Cities once we reach the American Revolution)? Also, which can your dc handle better (terrible personal story full of sadness and things, or really bloody national issues with terrible personal story)?

Because I find Great Expectations easier to stomach (I love both books btw), I would go with that first. However, if you're doing this in history and you've reached the revolution Two Cities would be more pertinent and let your dc what was going on over the pond at the time (as well as some pretty funny comments regarding the American Revolution from a foreign perspective).

Why are you waiting a year between them? Or did you mean, one before December and one after January?

I would go with Tale of Two Cities for a boy. Having read both, I think Great Expectations would appeal more to a girl - it is more touchy/feely, thoughtful, etc. Tale of Two Cities is more action packed. It's also a wonderful book to read after studying the American Revolution in order to compare/contrast the two revolutions: why one worked and why one wasn't so successful, what was the basis for the rebellion of each, how did the leaders promote rebellion and get the general publics' participation, what did the leadership do after the revolution?

But if you haven't gotten to the American Revolution, you might go with Great Expectations and save Tale for later. Both are great books.

Edited by CynthiaOK

We covered that in the spring of last year. We are about to hit the US Civil War and are currently reading The Red Badge of Courage.

We are going to re-read A Christmas Carol, and I wanted to do one other Dickens. We are primarily doing American literature this year. We have many other things we are reading and didn't want to spend too much time on Dickens...that was why I was doing one this year and one next.

ETA: Good grief! Subject line should read "past," NOT "passed!"

Edited by Hoggirl
I am a moron

I read all the threads on which Dickens and Tale of Two Cities had the most votes, so that is the one that we did.

It was the favorite book for both of my boys last year (14, 16.5). I did not expect to like it myself, but I did. I think I skimmed the gory parts, because they tend to haunt me. My younger, more reluctant reader son had trouble following it sometimes, but it was still his favorite book. He even listened to an MP3 of it after reading it.

:w00t:Tale of Two Cities! Tale of Two Cities!! I like Great Expectations just fine, but you can't miss A Tale of Two Cities. Yep, it's a bit gory and scary, but really Miss Havisham is pretty darn strange and scary herself, and GE is about 300 pgs longer than it needs to be. IMHO of course...:D

:iagree: Wasn't Dickens paid by the word for the serial work????

I always joke with my step-dad (who worships all things Dickens) that Dickens was a pulp rag writer who never used one word when he could use ten.:lol: I do like Dickens of course, I just like to watch my step-dad change colors.

Can you even imagine dinner with Dickens and Hemingway together!?